Favourite pub..

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Favourite pub..

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:35 pm

Mention of this weekend's opponents nickname "The Saddlers" jogged my memory of The Saddle Inn (closed 1970) that used to be on Bradshawagate. (I actually have a vague memory as a kid of an actual saddler's shop on Bank Street). Anyway, in the time since you spluttered froth all over the bar (whilst trying desperately to look older than you actually were) from your very first pint/half of draught beer, what has been you all time favourite Bolton pub,club, hostelry etc to quaff the amber nectar?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Favourite pub..

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:38 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Mention of this weekend's opponents nickname "The Saddlers" jogged my memory of The Saddle Inn (closed 1970) that used to be on Bradshawagate. (I actually have a vague memory as a kid of an actual saddler's shop on Bank Street). Anyway, in the time since you spluttered froth all over the bar (whilst trying desperately to look older than you actually were) from your very first pint/half of draught beer, what has been you all time favourite Bolton pub,club, hostelry etc to quaff the amber nectar?
That's Boltonist, that is. Clear discrimination against anyone who generally doesn't live in Bolton and wasn't bought up in Bolton.

Anyhow - Strawberry Duck for me, probably by a fair distance.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:40 pm

Okay, anyone who reads the thread, regardless of area, can join in with their favourite...... :lol:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:49 pm

My real (outside Bolton one) was the Farmers Arms in Swinton.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:52 pm

Bolton? The Edge Tavern or The Mop (Weavers Arms)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:54 pm

I like the question, but I suspect it suffers from the same problem as "which is the best Bolton player/ team you've ever seen". There's an inbuilt bias towards those of your youth!

Anyway - Bay Horse at the top of Babylon Lane for me. Grew up there basically from the age of 13. Worked and drank in there from 18. Fantastic place.

Swimmers Arms in Holloway is decent too. Decent enough to be a (silent, ie the girlf doesn't know about it) factor in deciding where I live!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:11 pm

went in that Bay Horse last year, you know when theres a few too many of you and everyone is fed up and hungry? the place was quite busy so had to wait for them to clear some tables so we could push a few together, kids scrapping over who sits where, the dog ran off to another part of the pub, was a graft just to get everyones coats off, finally sat down to study the menu, everyone decides what they want, i went to the bar to order.. 'sorry pal - foods finished!'

Anyway, my favourite is the Pack Horse at Affetside.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:44 pm

Prufrock wrote:I like the question, but I suspect it suffers from the same problem as "which is the best Bolton player/ team you've ever seen". There's an inbuilt bias towards those of your youth!
Has too in order to include anyone and not to be accused of "agesist".. :wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:50 pm

Actually, thinking about it, the question needs to be a bit "elastic", because my decidedly favourite local was The Lamb on Halliwell,( still standing under another name) but in the town, undoubtedly The Lower Nags Head on Deansgate which is sadly,like many a good hostelry, no more. :(

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:33 pm

The Garratt in Manchester. First pub I'd say was a regular for me. Gone to shit now, obv.

Park Hotel in Monton, always fond memories as it's my go to pub to see all my old friends at christmas.

Trionas also in Sullivan St, NYC. A friendly bar with friendly staff.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:39 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:The Garratt in Manchester. First pub I'd say was a regular for me. Gone to shit now, obv.

Park Hotel in Monton, always fond memories as it's my go to pub to see all my old friends at christmas.

Trionas also in Sullivan St, NYC. A friendly bar with friendly staff.
Was in there for the Rugby on Saturday. :-)

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:01 pm

The White horse in Westhoughton. In town it would probably be Swannies although I did like the Lower Nags.

These days its anywhere they allow dogs, have half decent food, Guinness and no screaming kids
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:11 am

Worthy4England wrote:Anyhow - Strawberry Duck for me, probably by a fair distance.
Is that anywhere near the Strawbury Duck? ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:14 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:Anyhow - Strawberry Duck for me, probably by a fair distance.
Clearly I don't recall the correct spelling on the way out, by which time I've forgot what it was on the way in! Never actually spotted before. :oops:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:14 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:Bolton? The Edge Tavern or The Mop (Weavers Arms)
Absolutely with you on The Edge. Lois and Ken.... Whitbread Trophy.... Pickled eggs..... best jukebox ever... indifferent, long-haired, scruffy c*nt behind the bar... :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:15 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Clearly I don't recall the correct spelling on the way out, by which time I've forgot what it was on the way in! Never actually spotted before. :oops:
And at which time I've usually forgotten the time of the last train :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:19 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
And at which time I've usually forgotten the time of the last train :D
It's a veritable bugger to get home from when that occurred and there was no room left at the inn. I still have the scars.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:10 am

Some quite good'uns in here, but I'll add my vote to the one in Affetside.

And a soft spot for the Duke William in Ainsworth - and I used to love the Ainsworth Arms in Halliwelll, but it went a bit shit a few years back and I haven't been since. Any good?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:58 am

Worthy4England wrote:My real (outside Bolton one) was the Farmers Arms in Swinton.
Many years ago one of our favourite Friday nights was The Beehive at Swinton, then on to The Wishing Well. :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:01 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:My real (outside Bolton one) was the Farmers Arms in Swinton.
Many years ago one of our favourite Friday nights was The Beehive at Swinton, then on to The Wishing Well. :D
Roughyed. Beehive is in Clifton of course ;-) But yes, then onto the Well to watch the fighting.