Most shocking thing you have found out about your ancestors

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Reecejackox
Hopeful
Hopeful

Most shocking thing you have found out about your ancestors

Post by Reecejackox » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:31 pm

The most shocking thing I learned was that my great great grandfather was in jail for robbery?

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Most shocking thing you have found out about your ancestors

Post by Burnden Paddock » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:03 pm

Hmmm. I wonder what post number 3 will be about? :roll:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:33 pm

Oh, really Chief Inspector Reece, I know you've had to make cuts in the force, but advertising for guilty pleas online..? Come on.....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri May 05, 2017 9:31 pm

4ucking hell!!! My parents have been to a family funeral today. It was for my mum's cousin's wife. At which, mum's cousin decided to give her a run-through as to the whole family history. It turns out that my Great Grandparents (Mum's, Dad's, Mum and Dad) were Polish Jewish immigrants who came to the UK in the late 19th century. Myself and my older brother have long since thought that we are of partial Polish Jewish descent due to him discovering a change to the family name from what it was on Mum's side of the family.
This has been suppressed for years by two generations of my family, apparently, due to the way that they were treated by the Hoboh's of their day. And believe me, the way that they were ostracised and bullied by the people of Liverpool, where they initially bought property and attempted to settle, really doesn't make for pretty reading.

Wow!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 06, 2017 11:45 am

We'd got the Jewish bit (stereotypical pun heading in) on account of you having short arms and deep pockets, you c*nt! :-)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat May 06, 2017 12:00 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 11:45 am
We'd got the Jewish bit (stereotypical pun heading in) on account of you having short arms and deep pockets, you c*nt! :-)
I've just swapped the spoon in the sugar bowl for a fork ;)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 06, 2017 12:14 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 12:00 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 11:45 am
I've just swapped the spoon in the sugar bowl for a fork ;)
:lol:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat May 06, 2017 1:56 pm

Perhaps a bit of a shock but certainly something to be proud of. A member of an ancient and noble race who gave us laws and a moral code at a time when my ancestors were living in trees and painting their bottoms blue. Good on you.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat May 06, 2017 2:59 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 1:56 pm
Perhaps a bit of a shock but certainly something to be proud of. A member of an ancient and noble race who gave us laws and a moral code at a time when my ancestors were living in trees and painting their bottoms blue. Good on you.
Indeed, Monty. My Grandad never used to talk about his family but I do know that they'd had a fall out, but finding this out has made me look at one or two things differently. He was called Levi but always gave his name as being Lee. One or two things falling into place now.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat May 06, 2017 10:41 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 2:59 pm
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Indeed, Monty. My Grandad never used to talk about his family but I do know that they'd had a fall out, but finding this out has made me look at one or two things differently. He was called Levi but always gave his name as being Lee. One or two things falling into place now.
Maybe we should check Polish or Yiddish dictionaries for the meaning of crin.... :wink:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun May 07, 2017 1:01 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 10:41 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 2:59 pm
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Maybe we should check Polish or Yiddish dictionaries for the meaning of crin.... :wink:

Haha. Yes, of course, and blithering crin at that :D

I will, of course, be keeping my new discovery under my hat this week whilst working in Frankfurt ;)