Ever been on Telly?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Ever been on Telly?

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:28 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:40 pm
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:14 pm
As the literary executor of a quite an important man I have been on radio and television many times, and been interviewed in at least five documentary movies. It seemed a big deal at first but after recurrences over a quarter century just routine. Familiarity may not breed contempt but certainly reduces any fears. The only things to watch out for when you see the program is that your voice will sound like someone else and, in my case, the hair colour seems unnecessarily grey. I suspect I would be less blasé if I was on a quiz show, where there is a greater opportunity to make oneself look foolish. Good luck.

I couldn't be more grey if I tried Monty. Yes, my big fear is saying something really wrong for an answer and being forever villified. 😂
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:50 pm

I'm interested enough Monty. Can we have more?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:46 am

Lord Kangana wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:50 pm
About my 15 minutes of fame? All but LK can ignore this.

In 1988 I serendipitously discovered the first handwritten drafts of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. These proved that the first draft was not written by Frenchman René Cassin, who had been credited with this and claimed to have done so (he also got the Nobel peace Prize in 1968) but by a Canadian, John Peters Humphrey, who was Director of the UN Division of Human Rights in 1947. The matter was quite controversial but the documents I had were quite clear despite attempts to discredit my work. When Humphrey died in 1995 he made me his literary executor, basically leaving me all his papers. This resulted in a number of articles and four monographs. Humphrey's authorship was accepted everywhere (except France where the question remains moot) by the time the 50th anniversary came round in 1998. Then there were all kinds of newspaper articles, documentaries and radio/tv appearances - even a postage stamp. This consumed some 30 years of my life so it was more than the Warhol's 15 minutes of fame. I even met Nelson Mandela! If you are really interested you can google Hobbins (my name) and Humphrey - you'll get a lot of hits. Though known as John I write as "A.J. Hobbins" which will get rather fewer hit (scholarly literature not being the same as sensational stories). For TV appearances you can check "The boy who was bullied" (http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2396637065) in which I feature (be warned it is an hour long and is done from the perspective of a handicapped girl in Humphrey's home town). I'm there briefly four or five times shooting out the party line.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:15 am

A literary mystery worthy of distinguished symbologist Robert Langdon Monty!

And GtE, don't worry, if you say something silly I can assure you it would never be repeatedly brought up at parkrun.
Something like this would be good...

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:55 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:46 am
Lord Kangana wrote:

In 1988 I serendipitously discovered the first handwritten drafts of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. These proved that the first draft was not written by Frenchman René Cassin, who had been credited with this and claimed to have done so (he also got the Nobel peace Prize in 1968) but by a Canadian, John Peters Humphrey, who was Director of the UN Division of Human Rights in 1947. The matter was quite controversial but the documents I had were quite clear despite attempts to discredit my work. When Humphrey died in 1995 he made me his literary executor, basically leaving me all his papers. This resulted in a number of articles and four monographs. Humphrey's authorship was accepted everywhere (except France where the question remains moot) by the time the 50th anniversary came round in 1998. Then there were all kinds of newspaper articles, documentaries and radio/tv appearances - even a postage stamp. This consumed some 30 years of my life so it was more than the Warhol's 15 minutes of fame. I even met Nelson Mandela! If you are really interested you can google Hobbins (my name) and Humphrey - you'll get a lot of hits. Though known as John I write as "A.J. Hobbins" which will get rather fewer hit (scholarly literature not being the same as sensational stories). For TV appearances you can check "The boy who was bullied" (http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2396637065) in which I feature (be warned it is an hour long and is done from the perspective of a handicapped girl in Humphrey's home town). I'm there briefly four or five times shooting out the party line.
Apologies Monty. I'm not on here as often as I used to be and so hadn't seen this response. That's a fascinating story and one I'll be happy to spend some time researching. Cheers

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:48 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:

Seriously impressed!
Don't reckon I'd be into licking the back of your head though mate. :wink:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:07 am

Tell us about your dealings with Hugh MacLennan, Monty.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:48 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:07 am
I knew Hugh MacLennan and used to have lunch with him once a week or so. This was in the McGill Faculty Club when I was but a "junior" member. This meant we would sit at a round table for about 8 people, which generally had one or two 'greats' and the rest of us being hangers on and lesser lights who knew their place. MacLennan was actually a long-time friend of my man John Humphrey so I had greater access. Hugh had been a high school teacher and started making radio broadcasts with Humphrey during the war (I wrote an article about one of these so he regarded me with some favour. Shortly after the war he gained success as a novelist and also a position at the McGill department of English (back then McGill had a cachet as Canada's finest university - a sort of Oxbidge, though, alas, times have changed). Sadly, when he was in his 80s the University wanted his office and he was offered alternative room in the main library. He rejected this and went to Concordia University just down the street. He was interesting but did have a sort of arrogance. I met many people through the Humphrey connection (I'm just a hanger-on) but many, though more famous than MacLennan, seemed generally down-to-earth decent chaps. My favourite was probably Nelson Mandela.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:56 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:48 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:07 am
I knew Hugh MacLennan and used to have lunch with him once a week or so. This was in the McGill Faculty Club when I was but a "junior" member. This meant we would sit at a round table for about 8 people, which generally had one or two 'greats' and the rest of us being hangers on and lesser lights who knew their place. MacLennan was actually a long-time friend of my man John Humphrey so I had greater access. Hugh had been a high school teacher and started making radio broadcasts with Humphrey during the war (I wrote an article about one of these so he regarded me with some favour. Shortly after the war he gained success as a novelist and also a position at the McGill department of English (back then McGill had a cachet as Canada's finest university - a sort of Oxbidge, though, alas, times have changed). Sadly, when he was in his 80s the University wanted his office and he was offered alternative room in the main library. He rejected this and went to Concordia University just down the street. He was interesting but did have a sort of arrogance. I met many people through the Humphrey connection (I'm just a hanger-on) but many, though more famous than MacLennan, seemed generally down-to-earth decent chaps. My favourite was probably Nelson Mandela.
I'm interested in the meet Mandela, was it a brief meet or did you get to chew a bit of the fat with him? You know coming from you I would trust your opinion far more than any fawning media.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:48 am

Hoboh wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:48 pm
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:

Seriously impressed!
Don't reckon I'd be into licking the back of your head though mate. :wink:
You shouldn't be impressed. The Great are just like everyone else - either good guys or not so good. Me., I'm just a boy from Bolton who landed in a lucky spot. A cross between serendipity and seizing the day.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:57 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:55 pm
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:

Apologies Monty. I'm not on here as often as I used to be and so hadn't seen this response. That's a fascinating story and one I'll be happy to spend some time researching. Cheers
Don't apologize. I just wanted to help you in the quiz by not being nervous because there is nothing really to worry about. My first documentary film (32 mm real film with lights, camera, action stuff) they asked me to walk over from a window and sit in a chair whilst continuing my spiel - it went fine until, looking at the camera, I missed the chair and sat on the floor. As I recall, midst loud cries of "CUT!", it went downhill from there. On about the tenth take I got it right! No worries.... :wink: This was in 1990 and no one remembers!