Mispronunciation...

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Mispronunciation...

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:09 pm

Standing at checkout at the supermarket (thinking can I get back home in time for Radio Tango?) and some random woman is chatting eighty times to the dozen to her friend at a volume intended to carry, in front of me. They are, quite clearly, from some upper middle class preserve, passing through our beknighted area on their way to visit Ollie (whoever he is).
Her condescending superiority regarding 'the natives' was quite surreal, and amusing in a 'sniggering you're a bit of a tit' sort of way... and then she came out with a "humungously beneficial darling!" recommendation for... [wait for it]... Turmeric.
Which is fine, in a toe-curdlingly way, except she pronounced it: Tumour-Rick.
I couldn't help but crack up.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Mispronunciation...

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:22 pm

A controversial topic Spots. I'm a Bolton lad and ever more will be so, so I don't converse much sounding like Prince Charles, but I do try not to make obvious mistakes with a blatant disregard for our native tongue, like putting h 's in all the wrong places or not, as the case may be. That said, when we have arguments amongst ourselves on here about scone (as in one) and scone (as in stone), then ??? (. (Doest know wor a mean marrer?)
Listening to English folk pronouncing a foreign tongue is big fun (Aye beetha? is a cracker, even a reasonably well-spoken travel bureau assistant insisited Al -Meeriyah was right) and I've had some real howls at times. "Dos eggo and bacono" being a real ( and true) gem. :lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:24 pm

:lol: I invented Aqua per cane (pronounced car nay) when I mimed in Italy my desire for a bowl of dog water at a bar to the guffaws of my fellow travellers. When seconds later a dog bowl of water turned up the last laugh was with me.
I'd have loved to have been there for the Dos eggo and bacano moment, though...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:19 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:24 pm
:lol: I invented Aqua per cane (pronounced car nay) when I mimed in Italy my desire for a bowl of dog water at a bar to the guffaws of my fellow travellers. When seconds later a dog bowl of water turned up the last laugh was with me.
I'd have loved to have been there for the Dos eggo and bacano moment, though...
It really truly happened Spots, at a cafe on the Balcon de Europa in Nerja. Amazing thing was it came from two international heavy goods drivers ( I discovered later) whose jobs involved constant continental travel. Another cracker was the guy with his mother who called the six-foot-plus waiter ( Camarero in Spanish) "Camaron" which means "shrimp" :lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?