What Car - suggestions please

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: What Car - suggestions please

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:49 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:23 am
I can't believe how much more expensive cars are in the UK, well I can, but you know what I mean. Our car here is a genuine 8 seater 3.6l V6, reasonably fuel efficient for the size and has loads of stuff like rear cameras, electric seats etc. Cost 26k brand new and would cost 40-50k for something equivalent in the UK :(
Yep. Hardly anyone "buys" new cars here now. All on finance schemes or hire purchase or just long term hires.....

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:16 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:49 am
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
I can't believe how much more expensive cars are in the UK, well I can, but you know what I mean. Our car here is a genuine 8 seater 3.6l V6, reasonably fuel efficient for the size and has loads of stuff like rear cameras, electric seats etc. Cost 26k brand new and would cost 40-50k for something equivalent in the UK :(
Yep. Hardly anyone "buys" new cars here now. All on finance schemes or hire purchase or just long term hires.....
At least it wont be costing me 10 quid for a pint :mrgreen:

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:16 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:16 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:49 am
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
At least it wont be costing me 10 quid for a pint :mrgreen:
You want a few bells and whistles with 4 wheel drive at a reasonable price? Ford Kuga ST-Line X, not quite figured out why the insurance is 200 more than a similar Volvo/Tucson though.
Get a low mileage pre- 1st April 2017 (quite a few about actually some with a couple of hundred on clock) and you will pay the old VED rates.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:01 pm

Skoda Yeti 4*4. Economical, shed loads of room in them and an ex demo would be well under 20k.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:17 am

A Yeti, Bob? I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that they are abominable.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:53 am

Dujon wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:17 am
A Yeti, Bob? I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that they are abominable.
Therer was a reason some people were denied access for months....
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:55 am

Bijou Bob wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:01 pm
Skoda Yeti 4*4. Economical, shed loads of room in them and an ex demo would be well under 20k.
Mrs Twin wont have one. Looks like a raised up hearse apparently :lol:

Current favourite is an Outlander PHEV. Boring as, but practical and the short daily run I'll have to do I will be able to do most of it on electric only, saving some cash.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:28 am

She's not wrong tbf!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:32 am

To be fair Mrs Twin is right about most things...

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:30 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:32 am
Some have questioned her choice of spouse.... :wink:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:03 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:30 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:32 am
Some have questioned her choice of spouse.... :wink:
Maybe so, but she was right then too :P

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:10 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:
Just the job for he that considers price above all else (including self-respect) :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:45 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:10 pm
Bijou Bob wrote:
Just the job for he that considers price above all else (including self-respect) :D
:lol:

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:43 pm

My next suggestion would be a Hyundai Tucson, well under your budget and a 5 year warranty, or a Kia Sportage 4x4, again well under budget for an ex demo and a 7 year warranty!

Badge snobbery is all very well, but you pay for it. Cars only ever depreciate, I'd sooner have my self respect tied up in property.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:02 pm

Blenheim Palace - here I come :)

May the bridges I burn light your way

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:32 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:43 pm
My next suggestion would be a Hyundai Tucson, well under your budget and a 5 year warranty, or a Kia Sportage 4x4, again well under budget
for an ex demo and a 7 year warranty!

Badge snobbery is all very well, but you pay for it. Cars only ever depreciate, I'd sooner have my self respect tied up in property.
Seriously question the 'well under budget' bit on 4x4 versions of those two Bob, must add that the 4x4 abilities of both of these has been questioned a few times.
Don't get me wrong the Premium or Premium SE version of the Hyundai is quite nice (2 wheel version is the ones I've looked at and may be tempted by, 4x4's are too uneconomical and dirty) the KIA is ugly even though they are basically the same car.
My biggest problem is the other half and I have about a five grand budget disagreement (mine being the higher :D )
I really fancy a Honda CR-V 1.6 auto 4 wheel drive Black Edition (DASP) 50 miles on clock pre reg (67) a shade under 27g but getting the dirty look not entering into conversation about it :D (Now't to do with someone deciding they'd like another car I suppose? :conf: )

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:15 am

Bijou Bob wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:43 pm
My next suggestion would be a Hyundai Tucson, well under your budget and a 5 year warranty, or a Kia Sportage 4x4, again well under budget for an ex demo and a 7 year warranty!

Both are on the small side for what we need. I know they're in the same category as others we're looking at, but they are just that bit smaller. To be honest I'm also not keen on them as the Hyundai and Kias I've been in over here feel like they're flapping all over the road compared to equivalent Toyotas and Nissans.

As for badge snobbery, it's actually a major consideration over here. There are cars I wouldn't dream of getting behind the wheel of here that I'd have no problem with in the UK. Driving is very very bad here and how others drive around you depends largely on the brand/size of car you drive. It's a shitty horrible racist thing, but the reality is if you drive, say a Nissan Sunny, expect to need sedatives at the end of your journey...if you even make it that far!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:45 pm

Well another KIA has just gone out the window :D
" The stop/start hardly ever works, I've told them about it and keep getting fobbed off with battery charge, despite them charging it for 24hrs, I paid for this it dosn't work so don't even look at a KIA!", the wife :)

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:24 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:09 am
Yeah. I mean these are basically cars for middle aged/semi-old men like me who want something very comfortable but don't care what it is - (and mothers taking their kids to school who think an SUV means they can do what they like).
Isn't that all SUV drivers!? :D
Hoboh wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:45 pm
Well another KIA has just gone out the window :D
" The stop/start hardly ever works, I've told them about it and keep getting fobbed off with battery charge, despite them charging it for 24hrs, I paid for this it dosn't work so don't even look at a KIA!", the wife :)
All this hybrid malarky still seems a bit new, not sure I trust it yet. Having said that, I don't trust automatics either. :wink:

BTW, my advice for anyone buying a used car from a dealer that has only just got an MOT from the in-house mechanic... immediately get an MOT done. That was the best £50 I think I ever spent.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:52 pm

Honda CR-V all wheel drive with DASP :D