Six Nations 2018

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Six Nations 2018

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:00 pm

Anybody on it? Scotland 14 down to 0 against Wales at half time.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Six Nations 2018

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:10 pm

Wales 34-7, Halfpenny immense. Hs kicking is frightening. Scotland were nowhere near strong enough or good enough. In fairness they tried and scored a try and conversion at the death, but Wales were impressive.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:02 pm

Cracker of a scrap between France and Ireland (my second team in every sport) . Ireland won with a drop goal past the 80 mins. They were 13-12 down then. Half the time no ball was needed; it was just like a monster bar-brawl with the French No 7( an Eiffel tower in rugby kit) not the least in dishing it out. Ireland stopped the French from doing what they do best; playing fast across the park and using the flanks (it worked except for one occasion that resulted in a try and conversion) , and concentrated on passing in congested area and attacking down the middle. Sexton's drop goal sent the Irish wild and left the French in despair. Really good entertainment.

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bedwetter2 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:09 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:02 pm
Cracker of a scrap between France and Ireland (my second team in every sport) . Ireland won with a drop goal past the 80 mins. They were 13-12 down then. Half the time no ball was needed; it was just like a monster bar-brawl with the French No 7( an Eiffel tower in rugby kit) not the least in dishing it out. Ireland stopped the French from doing what they do best; playing fast across the park and using the flanks (it worked except for one occasion that resulted in a try and conversion) , and concentrated on passing in congested area and attacking down the middle. Sexton's drop goal sent the Irish wild and left the French in despair. Really good entertainment.

I didn't see much of the France-Ireland game but understand it was tight all the way through and the last minute goal....well, what can you say? I almost felt sorry for the French.

I did see all of the Wales-Scotland game and despite or maybe because of the Scots anticipation of a successful start to the Six Nations, Wales totally dominated Scotland. A very professional demolition which knocked the stuffing out of the Scots at an early stage.

This could be a classic year for the Six Nations.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:17 pm

The boys in white returned a respectable win against Italy, but the stats make it sound like a different tale all together. Italy had (according to the pie dish) something like 70 plus percent of possession yet we won 46-15. Italy look a much improved side from a couple of years ago, (they looked dangerous all game) so the question is: How good/bad are we really in comparison? Wales battered Scotland and Ireland scraped home by the thickness of a shamrock leaf against France. We won't really know much till after the next round, but I hope Italy give the rest a battle.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:40 pm

Expected Scotland to beat Wales. Ah well 😁
Doubt we'll see a better closing 20 minutes in the tournament than France - Ireland.
Comfortable for England vs Italy, as expected, but nice to see Italy now being able to make a game of it.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:36 pm

Whites game ends 4-45, England V Wales starts 4-45. Couldn't be better (if you're single or have an understanding partner). Now if both games end in good results, what a happy chappie I'll be... :wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:07 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:36 pm
Whites game ends 4-45, England V Wales starts 4-45. Couldn't be better (if you're single or have an understanding partner). Now if both games end in good results, what a happy chappie I'll be... :wink:
And indeed I am. Yaki Da and all that...Beat the Welsh 12-6; tough scrap but we came out ahead, and the Superwhites took a point of the Fulham Millionaires. That'll do nicely, thank you. :D :oyea: :oyea:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:56 pm

Scotland beat France after a real ding-dong game. Great entertainment. The French have always had a great fast passing game and it was because they gave so many penalties away that they lost. The unlikely sounding Teddy Thomas for the French is frighteningly fast. Laidlaw's kicking was brilliant and credit to the Scots for a real battling display. The level of competition has evened out and there are no week teams amongst the six.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:13 am

Well, TANGO, there wouldn't be, would there? It takes seven to make a week as far as I can remember. ;)

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:51 am

Dujon wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:13 am
Well, TANGO, there wouldn't be, would there? It takes seven to make a week as far as I can remember. ;)
He's BAAAAACK!
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:28 am

Dujon wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:13 am
Boooooooo :spank:

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jakerbeef » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:16 pm

I'm throwing my hat in the ring for the Kolkata Cup ding-dong this weekend.

We'll get pasted again but I thought I'd better mark my clock-in sheet before kickoff. Y'know, just in case.

I just hope for an impartial display from the ref and a partial display from everyone else. Mainly those in navy blue.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:29 pm

Anything England-Scotland is always a scrap. The Calcutta Cup is just and added bit of spice. White shirts for me of course.. :D

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:21 pm

France v Italy should be tasty tonight. Not as predictable as it used to be. France's wide game should win the day, then again....?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:44 pm

Losing the Calcutta Cup to Scotland hurt. If we'd played 70 mins like we played the last 10 it could have been so different. Mind you, giving us a Welsh referee for England v Scotland was never a happy thought from the start. :(

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jakerbeef » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:41 pm

Honestly, genuine hard luck TD. Nobody's more surprised than me! Kept expecting a twist finale.

I will be back down to earth with a bump when they get gubbed in Dublin though.

I looked back at the game (through the miracle of one of those rugby threads where ppl post during the game...madness eh?) with slightly calmer goggles and yep, I can honestly say I'd be fuming if it was Scotland that had the Nigel Owens Show rampaging over them. England had one perfectly good try chalked off and he was very quick with the whistle on white-shirt infringing. That's his way I think. Pick one side as the villain and use them as the yardstick.

If we'd conceded another shortly after half-time we'd have crumbled. But still, once every 10 years isn't that bad!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:32 pm

Jakerbeef wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:41 pm
Honestly, genuine hard luck TD. Nobody's more surprised than me! Kept expecting a twist finale.

I will be back down to earth with a bump when they get gubbed in Dublin though.

I looked back at the game (through the miracle of one of those rugby threads where ppl post during the game...madness eh?) with slightly calmer goggles and yep, I can honestly say I'd be fuming if it was Scotland that had the Nigel Owens Show rampaging over them. England had one perfectly good try chalked off and he was very quick with the whistle on white-shirt infringing. That's his way I think. Pick one side as the villain and use them as the yardstick.
If we'd conceded another shortly after half-time we'd have crumbled. But still, once every 10 years isn't that bad!
Take nothing from you Jakerbeef, accept the credit, Scotland deserved it; that's their best display against England for some time. Some valiant defending and good attacks. Good win and fair do's. The ref is one opponent you'll never win against if he takes against you at rugby. When he's a Welshman to boot...well....

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jakerbeef » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:02 pm

Tell me about it! (Craig Joubert anybody)

Oh we'll accept the credit! :D But Scotland playing consistently well is a new thing and I still have to pinch myself when it happens. Do I dare to dream, sort of thing?

We're turning the corner. We've come a long way since the dark days of Scott Johnson (Or Frank Haddock) and wondering if it'd be another wooden spoon tussle. Now quiet expectation is building. Possibly to take it's time and slowly grow over the course of a few more years. Unless we burgle Ireland in 2 weeks time...

I'm not writing off England yet for this tournament, it'll be a proper acid-test of Eddie Jones.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:34 pm

We came, we saw, we didn't conquer. Basically, we weren't good enought to be six nations champs. The gaps are closing and teams like Italy are no mugs anymore. To be honest, most sides were better than us. Congrats to Ireland whose defence was far better than our attack.