Jerusalem....

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Jerusalem....

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:15 pm

Can this be discussed..er, amicably..?? beause it's interesting...

Some strange happenings are currently taking place in Jerusalem (que sorprisa, the home of crazy happenings,) regarding taxation on Christian properties; so much so that the Christian elements, Catholic, Greek Orthodox etc, have closed the Church of the Holy Sepulchre - the Holiest place on earth for Christians - for a day ( so far) in protest. The Government want taxes paid on business related properies apart from places of worship, and are getting stroppy about it. See, personally, despite being a Catholic and a Christian( and miles away from it all to boot) I can't see why businesses should be exampt as even The New Testament says taxes are necessary and should be paid. Googling "Christian Taxes in Jerusalem" etc, will produce all the facts, but this could escalate into another ding-dong in a place hardly needing it.I have distinctly uneasy feelings about this. Any views?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: Jerusalem....

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:40 pm

The craziest nut jobs of them all, the Scientologists, successfully argued and intimidated their way to getting tax free status from the IRS, no mean feat.

Personally, I see no justification for religions to be tax exempt
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:50 pm

Agreed to some extent.Way I'm reading it Harry, is that it's the business elements, ie those making money, hotels, restaurants, cafes, souveniuers etc, that the governement want to tax. Given that that whole tax things back to King John and co are a total rip-off, the rest of us have had to pay (they were still taking it off me when I retired at 70), so if it makes profit, why should it be exempt? The again, are the charity angles being fairly examined? That seems a relevant point.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:58 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:50 pm
Agreed to some extent.Way I'm reading it Harry, is that it's the business elements, ie those making money, hotels, restaurants, cafes, souveniuers etc, that the governement want to tax. Given that that whole tax things back to King John and co are a total rip-off, the rest of us have had to pay (they were still taking it off me when I retired at 70), so if it makes profit, why should it be exempt? Then again, are the charity angles being fairly examined? That seems a relevant point.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:56 pm

They'll have a job putting the CEO in prison for tax evasion.....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:49 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:56 pm
They'll have a job putting the CEO in prison for tax evasion.....
Quite so Gary, but historically there are a few C.E.Os' who should have been there for all sorts of reasons...