All Souls 2019 intake, have you got what takes?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

All Souls 2019 intake, have you got what takes?

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:58 pm

Oxford University has a college, called All Saints. It has 8 students. Two are inducted each year, just two. It chooses which two by asking questions and setting essays.

Here're this year's questions (and my embryonic answers).

1. Is ignorance bliss? (Yes).
2. Are there too many books (Yes).
3. Defend tweeting ( Fxck off. T#wat).
4..Does Google know us better than we do? (Only if you are a fxcking moron, or severely autistic).
5. Are Old Masters overrated? ( Depends on which one you're talking about, some Yes, some absolutely Not).
6. Would you rather be a vampire or a zombie? (Vampire, obviously. What tit would rather be a zombie - however refer to answer to Q4 before answering that - ?)
7. Are there topics one should not joke about? (No. But BWFCi, Prufrock, and the 'Milennials' would have spasms about that).
8. "Music came to a full stop with Brahms [Wittgenstein]". Discuss. (Jimi Hendrix, Captain Beefheart, Django Reinhardt, the Beatles, Jim Morrison, Mud "those feet, those feet, those Tiger feet"... you obviously died too early, Ludwig).
9.What, if any, are the advantages of binge-watching? (None. Just look at the terrible toll it exerted on General Mannerheim).
10. How should we close the gender pay gap? (Assassination springs to mind. If somebody could shoot the woman who's just been appointed as non-executive director of my firm, on pay that is at least ten times what I earn, for sitting on her backside for under a hundredth of the hours I'm expected to turn up, and just chew the fxcking fat with other 'senior managers' and not understand the cause of the workers, then maybe the message could be promulgated that THERE IS NO GENDER PAY GAP, BUT THERE IS A MASSIVE WHO KNOWS FXCKING WHO AND WHERE THEY WENT TO FXCKING SCHOOL PAY GAP, dear pals et palettes).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: All Souls 2019 intake, have you got what takes?

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:07 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:58 pm

10. How should we close the gender pay gap? (Assassination springs to mind. If somebody could shoot the woman who's just been appointed as non-executive director of my firm, on pay that is at least ten times what I earn, for sitting on her backside for under a hundredth of the hours I'm expected to turn up, and just chew the fxcking fat with other 'senior managers' and not understand the cause of the workers, then maybe the message could be promulgated that THERE IS NO GENDER PAY GAP, BUT THERE IS A MASSIVE WHO KNOWS FXCKING WHO AND WHERE THEY WENT TO FXCKING SCHOOL PAY GAP, dear pals et palettes).
Maybe, and this is just a thought, she possesses some degree of social skills that means she doesn't angrily hate everything and everyone around her.....or at least if she does she disguises it well enough. And perhaps those human and social skills are why she is paid more....just an idea.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:46 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:07 am

Maybe, and this is just a thought, she possesses some degree of social skills that means she doesn't angrily hate everything and everyone around her.....or at least if she does she disguises it well enough. And perhaps those human and social skills are why she is paid more....just an idea.
Question from the back benches m'lud: Do age and experience, length of time in the job etc, actually have any bearing here, and who decides that a girl (hey, a bloke even) not long out of college who arrives brandishing her/his degree in methods super modern, is actually worth the same salary as someone who has been doing the job (holding the position successfully) for twenty years, just because they both share the same job title? ( Steady, I've seen it happen, the company later deciding the position was over-filled ( both with women actually) and a redundancy needed. Guess who was made redundant? )

See, I'm wondering if the likes of you and sir Pru have female family members, near and dear ones etc, who personally are treated less than equal in the pay stakes (according to abilities of course) and who you are actually campaigning on behalf of? Or are you just speaking up on behalf of the masses? I always have wondered actually why you're such knights in shining white armour, with a chestful of outrage medals, doing Don Quixote imitations against giants that exist more in the media and the imagination than in you actual personal lives or those of your womenfolk? You see, just like in your political persuasions, people don't actually go with the "one heart-one mind" banner; one rule for all just isn't working and, until a few relevant parameters are instituted and a bit of common sense involved, the wheels will just keep falling off the band-waggons and all the debating in the world is just so much hot air.

In the big picture your underwear category really isn't that critical compared with a whole world of double standards and power/money mad humans of every persuasion. Coffee smelling isn't just an expression in the shake-the tree, hymn-sheets singing manual of power meetings; it's no bad advice actually even if a bit facetious. If your example is a half a million per week footballer compared to your wife or daughter (or even the rest of humanity) I'm with you. Won't change anything, but I'm with you. :wink:

Coughs apologetically and sits down hurriedly. :|
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:08 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:46 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Question from the back benches m'lud: Do age and experience, length of time in the job etc, actually have any bearing here, and who decides that a girl (hey, a bloke even) not long out of college who arrives brandishing her/his degree in methods super modern, is actually worth the same salary as someone who has been doing the job (holding the position successfully) for twenty years, just because they both share the same job title? ( Steady, I've seen it happen, the company later deciding the position was over-filled ( both with women actually) and a redundancy needed. Guess who was made redundant? )

See, I'm wondering if the likes of you and sir Pru have female family members, near and dear ones etc, who personally are treated less than equal in the pay stakes (according to abilities of course) and who you are actually campaigning on behalf of? Or are you just speaking up on behalf of the masses? I always have wondered actually why you're such knights in shining white armour, with a chestful of outrage medals, doing Don Quixote imitations against giants that exist more in the media and the imagination than in you actual personal lives or those of your womenfolk? You see, just like in your political persuasions, people don't actually go with the "one heart-one mind" banner; one rule for all just isn't working and, until a few relevant parameters are instituted and a bit of common sense involved, the wheels will just keep falling off the band-waggons and all the debating in the world is just so much hot air.

In the big picture your underwear category really isn't that critical compared with a whole world of double standards and power/money mad humans of every persuasion. Coffee smelling isn't just an expression in the shake-the tree, hymn-sheets singing manual of power meetings; it's no bad advice actually even if a bit facetious. If your example is a half a million per week footballer compared to your wife or daughter (or even the rest of humanity) I'm with you. Won't change anything, but I'm with you. :wink:

Coughs apologetically and its down hurriedly. :|
Well firstly you are crossing different issues.

LLS seems to have a very high opinion of himself and his contribution to his company with a very low view of senior managers. This is something seen commonly often from people who overinflate their abilities and/or contribution and from people who usually have no clue what sorts of skills are required by senior managers in their organisation. There are bad senior managers, but generally they end up in positions of seniority because whatever base knowledge or skill they entered an organisation with was one which they built on over time and learned to adapt themselves to a variety of situations. Knowledge is often overrated. The ability to interpret, read situations, strategise and plan is generally what matters.

It wasn't a gender thing.

As for your question - we do not enjoy gender equality. There are countless examples of women being overlooked for senior roles or tokenism whereby one woman is thrust into a senior role for the sake of it. Both are terrible practices. We're very bad in this country at treating men and women equally and it does in fact work both ways. How many employers will not blink twice if a female employee has to leave at a certain time for childcare, but create a far bigger fuss if a man has to? That is nonsensical. Its hardwired into our society, but it is discriminatory. Equally so many businesses will deliberately not promote women because they worry they will go on mat leave. It happens so often. But with SPL - it makes no sense. But its so hard wired into people that it becomes a discriminatory practice.

The point I would make is that these practices than on balance STILL tend to favour men over women (not always as I point out above) need challenging.

I would agree that the conversation should be broadened out to a much more extensive one about working practices in 2018 in Britain. We're still behind much of the Western world in some ways. We're also not very good at recognising work-life balance. And as I get older its something I consider more and more. When I was 30 it was very much a "well work-life balance is a nice but impractical thing". As I've got older I begin to think that ultimately working 14 hour days routinely was a nonsense. Who was I working for? I earned a wage but had so little chance to spend it. And when I'm on my deathbed I sure as hell won't think back to all that time and go "well that was a good use of time".

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:08 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:08 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:46 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Coughs apologetically and its down hurriedly. :|
Well firstly you are crossing different issues.

LLS seems to have a very high opinion of himself and his contribution to his company with a very low view of senior managers. This is something seen commonly often from people who overinflate their abilities and/or contribution and from people who usually have no clue what sorts of skills are required by senior managers in their organisation. There are bad senior managers, but generally they end up in positions of seniority because whatever base knowledge or skill they entered an organisation with was one which they built on over time and learned to adapt themselves to a variety of situations. Knowledge is often overrated. The ability to interpret, read situations, strategise and plan is generally what matters.

It wasn't a gender thing.

As for your question - we do not enjoy gender equality. There are countless examples of women being overlooked for senior roles or tokenism whereby one woman is thrust into a senior role for the sake of it. Both are terrible practices. We're very bad in this country at treating men and women equally and it does in fact work both ways. How many employers will not blink twice if a female employee has to leave at a certain time for childcare, but create a far bigger fuss if a man has to? That is nonsensical. Its hardwired into our society, but it is discriminatory. Equally so many businesses will deliberately not promote women because they worry they will go on mat leave. It happens so often. But with SPL - it makes no sense. But its so hard wired into people that it becomes a discriminatory practice.

The point I would make is that these practices than on balance STILL tend to favour men over women (not always as I point out above) need challenging.

I would agree that the conversation should be broadened out to a much more extensive one about working practices in 2018 in Britain. We're still behind much of the Western world in some ways. We're also not very good at recognising work-life balance. And as I get older its something I consider more and more. When I was 30 it was very much a "well work-life balance is a nice but impractical thing". As I've got older I begin to think that ultimately working 14 hour days routinely was a nonsense. Who was I working for? I earned a wage but had so little chance to spend it. And when I'm on my deathbed I sure as hell won't think back to all that time and go "well that was a good use of time".
Whatever your opinion of my supposed very high opinion of myself may be, you seem to be conflating "senior managers" with "nobs who know somebody in high places".
The last time I looked a nonexecutive director were no senior manager, no siree, master. *tugs forelock*
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:17 pm

...anyway, I want to see your answers, not your take on what my answers are.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:42 pm

OK - here goes
1. Is ignorance bliss? Yes
2. Are there too many books No
3. Defend tweeting - It's a modern form of communication that covers the globe and it's word limit makes it short and punchy.
4..Does Google know us better than we do? No. But my tesco club card runs me a close second
5. Are Old Masters overrated? On the whole I'd say yes.
6. Would you rather be a vampire or a zombie? Vampire
7. Are there topics one should not joke about?
Probably but even the most disturbing topics can be rendered funny by a good comedian.
8. "Music came to a full stop with Brahms [Wittgenstein]". Discuss. Did it balls.
9.What, if any, are the advantages of binge-watching? Romantic winter evenings watching something you both love with good food and alcohol. Lovely.
10. How should we close the gender pay gap?
Greater opportunities and female role models in traditionally male dominated environments.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:06 pm

1. Is ignorance bliss? I wouldn't know :P .
2. Are there too many books? No, but there aren't enough shelves.
3. Defend tweeting - Ed Balls Day
4..Does Google know us better than we do? Not unless the perfect time to buy a mattress is just after you've bought another mattress.
5. Are Old Masters overrated? Yes, there are only so many paintings of Jesus we need to see. Paining is overrated generally, tbf.
6. Would you rather be a vampire or a zombie? Vampire. Who the hell is answering zombie? Even a Twilight vampire.
7. Are there topics one should not joke about? No. Comedy, like all worthwhile art, is about truth. Nothing should be off -limits as a topic, but context and intention are important.
8. "Music came to a full stop with Brahms [Wittgenstein]". Discuss. Nonsense. You cannot drink cans and get your top off to Brahms.
9.What, if any, are the advantages of binge-watching? There's something to be said for having to wait for your next fix, but nothing beats the immersiveness of caning the entirety of Always Sunny in 3 weeks, or spending a month talking like a Baltimore gangster.
10. How should we close the gender pay gap? Continue to redefine how we approach childcare. More shared parental leave, greater use of technology to allow flexible working. We've pretty much nailed it up until the point women go off to have kids. There's not a great deal we can do to about the biological part but we can make it easier for women to continue their careers without having to feel guilty they are somehow neglecting their kids, something which doesn't crop up for men.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:16 am

1. Is ignorance bliss? ( Undoubtedly) .
2. Are there too many books (I love books, but Yes, if those of the wrong sort, crap fiction and autobiographies of "My life and career by 21 year old pop "stars" strippers and footballers count) If your answer is no, then take a trip to some bargain bookstores .
3. Defend tweeting ( I've managed to live without it so far but millions obviously can't)
4..Does Google know us better than we do? (It will someday. It's nearer than you think)
5. Are Old Masters overrated? ( No, why pick on somebody that can't defend themselves? Art is a choice, nobody makes you like any of it. Obviously asked by a fence painter) )
6. Would you rather be a vampire or a zombie? (That question was asked by a university? really?)
7. Are there topics one should not joke about? ( Yes, many because one man's humour is another man's reason to start a war)
8. "Music came to a full stop with Brahms [Wittgenstein]". No, it came to a stop about 1990 with Steps and S.Club 7 and all that stuff)
9.What, if any, are the advantages of binge-watching? ( Call it catch-up watching and I'll say it's useful in moderation or for folk with nothing better to do)
10. How should we close the gender pay gap? (Pay by results regardless of all else. Basic salaries for all until some results are shown, then pay the best at the job. It's always been a murky field at best and there have never been as many managers in the football league as there are in large firms, half of whom couldn't manage to put a new fuse in a plug.)

Amen.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:43 am

1. Is ignorance bliss? Ask a Brexiteer....
2. Are there too many books? No.
3. Defend tweeting - A flow of information and exchange of opinion that in some cases makes the world more open and forms communities.
4..Does Google know us better than we do? Of course not.
5. Are Old Masters overrated? Most art is.
6. Would you rather be a vampire or a zombie? Vampire.
7. Are there topics one should not joke about? No! - Ask Chris Morriss.
8. "Music came to a full stop with Brahms [Wittgenstein]". Discuss. - Don't be ridiculous. Music is ever evolving, changing and cannot be defined by any one period.
9.What, if any, are the advantages of binge-watching? Give me the final season of Game of Thrones now you cvnts!
10. How should we close the gender pay gap? Major societal and attitude changes. Positive reward for organisations that have suitable gender balance in highest paid roles. Change the way we view work, childcare and work/life balance.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:13 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:43 am

A serious question for B.W.F.C.I......Not questioning your quiz answers in any way, we're all entitled to our opinions, but can I ask why you think most art is overrated and who is it overrated by?

It certainly isn't the artists, who have no control over who likes their work or more importantly, buys it and, in the case of the topic of the question, this is particularly relevant as a lot of them died without ever seeing the financial benefits of their works. Died many years ago in the case of the "Old Masters" who actually have little to do with anything except what they left behind them. Vincent Van Gogh isn't really in the Old Masters class, but typical of many of them in as much as his paintings bring obscene amounts of money (one sold lately for 63 million dollars). He died in poverty selling his paintings for the price of a meal or drink.

That said, many paintings classed as old master works also in churches and museums and not the sort of topic you'd hang on your living room wall. The value of any Old Master work is the meat and drink of art historians, auctioneers and ( in the main) wealthy people with more appreciation of capital than art appreciation, who lock them away for rainy days. The question remains, is it Old Masters themselves who are over-rated for their work or almost everyone but them? As such, is it a question with a sensible answer or does that depend on who you are asking?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:48 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:13 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:43 am

A serious question for B.W.F.C.I......Not questioning your quiz answers in any way, we're all entitled to our opinions, but can I ask why you think most art is overrated and who is it overrated by?

It certainly isn't the artists, who have no control over who likes their work or more importantly, buys it and, in the case of the topic of the question, this is particularly relevant as a lot of them died without ever seeing the financial benefits of their works. Died many years ago in the case of the "Old Masters" who actually have little to do with anything except what they left behind them. Vincent Van Gogh isn't really in the Old Masters class, but typical of many of them in as much as his paintings bring obscene amounts of money (one sold lately for 63 million dollars). He died in poverty selling his paintings for the price of a meal or drink.

That said, many paintings classed as old master works also in churches and museums and not the sort of topic you'd hang on your living room wall. The value of any Old Master work is the meat and drink of art historians, auctioneers and ( in the main) wealthy people with more appreciation of capital than art appreciation, who lock them away for rainy days. The question remains, is it Old Masters themselves who are over-rated for their work or almost everyone but them? As such, is it a question with a sensible answer or does that depend on who you are asking?
You've pretty much supplied my own answer there. The skill of production is certainly not over-rated. But would you want a lot of them hanging on your wall? Probably not. They have huge monetary value thanks to art "investors". But without that market existing, what would they be worth? Far less.

Beyond that, I'm not an art person. At least not painting pr sculpture or whatever. I think art is found in so many things and I personally think what you're trying to say is more critical than the "brush stroke technique" you've employed....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:01 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:48 pm

Beyond that, I'm not an art person. At least not painting pr sculpture or whatever. I think art is found in so many things and I personally think what you're trying to say is more critical than the "brush stroke technique" you've employed....
Clarify please?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:15 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:01 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Clarify please?
Its a personal thing - I don't care how technically good the art is. Or how it started a revolution in style....only what it is trying to say and what it says to me.

Its like to use an analogy music. I don't care who is the best "technical singer" if all they are doing is singing generic songs written by someone else. Its meaningless, to me.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:31 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:15 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:01 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Clarify please?
Its a personal thing - I don't care how technically good the art is. Or how it started a revolution in style....only what it is trying to say and what it says to me.

Its like to use an analogy music. I don't care who is the best "technical singer" if all they are doing is singing generic songs written by someone else. Its meaningless, to me.
I actually agree totally, but unfortunately that isn't the criteria that defines popularity, so the question is a bit pointless at best unless specific works are the subject. The title Old Masters usually covers three centuries ( 16th,17th and 18th, and most of Europe.)

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:45 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:06 pm
:lol: Fxck, I wish I'd thought of that answer before you. Brilliant.
(quite liked your answer to 4 too).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:49 pm

On the basis of the answers supplied in this limited (in numbers, not intellect) forum, it would appear that the All Souls question setter needs to be sacked.
About the only question that required any extension to a simple yes/no to really explain the answers' opinion was number 10.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:10 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:49 pm
On the basis of the answers supplied in this limited (in numbers, not intellect) forum, it would appear that the All Souls question setter needs to be sacked.
About the only question that required any extension to a simple yes/no to really explain the answers' opinion was number 10.
Obviously not written by a male unless the adjudicator was a member of Parliament, in which case he'd choose the best answer and claim it was his idea. :wink:

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:41 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:45 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:06 pm
:lol: Fxck, I wish I'd thought of that answer before you. Brilliant.
(quite liked your answer to 4 too).
He's a half full kinda guy.