Electric Cars.

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18436
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Electric Cars.

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:32 pm

Has anybody got one?
I've been made redundant, definitely unemployed but probably not a job -seeker, probably retired but three years off being s pensioner.
So. I've got a much loved Skoda Fabia VRs. Special Edition from 2007 - the very last of its kind. I'm gonna keep it, but the way diesel prices and congestion charges are going, I need to be realistic, I probably need something else to transport me and the missus in the next twenty years.
I'm thinking electric. I'm thinking specifically Tesla Model S.
Does anybody know anybody who has one, and how do they rate it?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Enoch
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3967
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: The Garden of England.

Re: Electric Cars.

Post by Enoch » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:35 pm

I know a fella that has an S. He said he likes it but he's lied to me in the past so I don't know. He's got a couple of other exec rides too, so I'm guessing he only really uses it for local stuff. I like the look and when he's pissed off it pulls away like a rocket. I also know a fella that sells them but he only does corporate demo days so I doubt you'll be seeing him any time soon, Spotty.

User avatar
Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8477
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:27 pm
Location: Skye high

Re: Electric Cars.

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:18 pm

Have an Outlander Phev, so partly electric. Very happy with it and very economical on shorter journeys, whilst being capable of long journeys without the downside of electric only. Feedback I've heard on teslas is that they are very nice but build quality lacking in areas..

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12551
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 8:19 am

Re: Electric Cars.

Post by Hoboh » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:44 am

Had a guy showing me one of these once, full of nifty tricks like using his phone to manoeuvre it round his driveway and all the fancy bits on his huge screen, looked good but I wasn't really impressed by the overall finish for that sort of cash outlay.
Read a test recently were real world range was well below the advertised range and reliability has been questioned.
Forgot to add occasionally it would update if he forgot to schedule it and he couldn't use it till complete.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19775
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Electric Cars.

Post by Prufrock » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:45 am

What, like Windows :lol:? What a joke! You'd be steaming. Yeah, sorry I'm late, my car was just updating!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12551
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 8:19 am

Re: Electric Cars.

Post by Hoboh » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:28 am

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:45 am
What, like Windows :lol:? What a joke! You'd be steaming. Yeah, sorry I'm late, my car was just updating!
T'was true :) Telsa was sending various system updates and you could actually purchase certain upgrades as well.

To be fair they do leave the line like @ off a hot shovel but too many potential gremlins for an everyday run around yet in my book.

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18436
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: Electric Cars.

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:21 pm

Thanks for the feedback folks.
I've decided to leave it for a while. I've put some wedge away in an account so I won't spend it.
I've heard that the Tesla model 3 for left hand drive will be out next year. Apparently better than the mark 1 and cheaper than the S.
As for hybrids, AT, they are probably where it's at right now, but I'm thinking long term... maybe too long term.
So, yep, I'll see how electrics develop in the next few months or a year or so. :oops:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18436
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: Electric Cars.

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:26 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:45 am
What, like Windows :lol:? What a joke! You'd be steaming. Yeah, sorry I'm late, my car was just updating!
Some years back we had a storm with lots of lightning that knocked out my car's CPU. When the RAC turned up it was exactly like IT support at work... lots of sitting around watching progress bars. (At least I got my car clocked, legally too :D ).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 37956
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: Electric Cars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:47 pm

Electric cars, Electric cars! (in a Peter Kay voice....) "What the xxxx?
Morris Minor, split windscreen, starting handle, wooden floorboards and two-feet long gear lever. Add a couple of right and left turn pop-out indicators and you have all the joys of motoring.. :spank:

:lol:

Image
Attachments
Morris.minor.bristol.750pix.jpg
Morris.minor.bristol.750pix.jpg (100.75 KiB) Viewed 590 times
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18436
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: Electric Cars.

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:59 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:47 pm
Electric cars, Electric cars! (in a Peter Kay voice....) "What the xxxx?
Morris Minor, split windscreen, starting handle, wooden floorboards and two-feet long gear lever. Add a couple of right and left turn pop-out indicators and you have all the joys of motoring.. :spank:

:lol:

Image
Cars move in mysterious ways. :wink:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

User avatar
Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12675
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 12:45 am
Location: Montreal, Canada

Re: Electric Cars.

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:23 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:21 pm
Thanks for the feedback folks.
I've decided to leave it for a while. I've put some wedge away in an account so I won't spend it.
I've heard that the Tesla model 3 for left hand drive will be out next year. Apparently better than the mark 1 and cheaper than the S.
As for hybrids, AT, they are probably where it's at right now, but I'm thinking long term... maybe too long term.
So, yep, I'll see how electrics develop in the next few months or a year or so. :oops:
My son has had a Tesla S for the last three years or so. He loves it. Extremely fast acceleration but incredibly quiet. Range about twice that of other electric cars - about 400 kms. He is planning to drive across America next year where he'll have to use the Tesla superstations. A "fill-up" there is supposed to take 20 minutes which is not bad if true. He's had no mechanical problems. I know nothing about software upgrades but will ask him. To me the real downside is the price.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.
:pray:Image

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18436
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: Electric Cars.

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:18 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:23 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:21 pm
Thanks for the feedback folks.
I've decided to leave it for a while. I've put some wedge away in an account so I won't spend it.
I've heard that the Tesla model 3 for left hand drive will be out next year. Apparently better than the mark 1 and cheaper than the S.
As for hybrids, AT, they are probably where it's at right now, but I'm thinking long term... maybe too long term.
So, yep, I'll see how electrics develop in the next few months or a year or so. :oops:
My son has had a Tesla S for the last three years or so. He loves it. Extremely fast acceleration but incredibly quiet. Range about twice that of other electric cars - about 400 kms. He is planning to drive across America next year where he'll have to use the Tesla superstations. A "fill-up" there is supposed to take 20 minutes which is not bad if true. He's had no mechanical problems. I know nothing about software upgrades but will ask him. To me the real downside is the price.
Cheers Monty. That was the kind of thing I've been told, third hand, that made me consider it in the first place. The price is within my budget if the car can last fifteen years or more - which is the great unknown, obviously.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

User avatar
Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8477
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:27 pm
Location: Skye high

Re: Electric Cars.

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:36 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:18 pm
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:23 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:21 pm
Thanks for the feedback folks.
I've decided to leave it for a while. I've put some wedge away in an account so I won't spend it.
I've heard that the Tesla model 3 for left hand drive will be out next year. Apparently better than the mark 1 and cheaper than the S.
As for hybrids, AT, they are probably where it's at right now, but I'm thinking long term... maybe too long term.
So, yep, I'll see how electrics develop in the next few months or a year or so. :oops:
My son has had a Tesla S for the last three years or so. He loves it. Extremely fast acceleration but incredibly quiet. Range about twice that of other electric cars - about 400 kms. He is planning to drive across America next year where he'll have to use the Tesla superstations. A "fill-up" there is supposed to take 20 minutes which is not bad if true. He's had no mechanical problems. I know nothing about software upgrades but will ask him. To me the real downside is the price.
Cheers Monty. That was the kind of thing I've been told, third hand, that made me consider it in the first place. The price is within my budget if the car can last fifteen years or more - which is the great unknown, obviously.
I suspect many thousands of pounds will be required before then to replace the batteries...

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18436
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: Electric Cars.

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:24 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:36 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:18 pm
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:23 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:21 pm
Thanks for the feedback folks.
I've decided to leave it for a while. I've put some wedge away in an account so I won't spend it.
I've heard that the Tesla model 3 for left hand drive will be out next year. Apparently better than the mark 1 and cheaper than the S.
As for hybrids, AT, they are probably where it's at right now, but I'm thinking long term... maybe too long term.
So, yep, I'll see how electrics develop in the next few months or a year or so. :oops:
My son has had a Tesla S for the last three years or so. He loves it. Extremely fast acceleration but incredibly quiet. Range about twice that of other electric cars - about 400 kms. He is planning to drive across America next year where he'll have to use the Tesla superstations. A "fill-up" there is supposed to take 20 minutes which is not bad if true. He's had no mechanical problems. I know nothing about software upgrades but will ask him. To me the real downside is the price.
Cheers Monty. That was the kind of thing I've been told, third hand, that made me consider it in the first place. The price is within my budget if the car can last fifteen years or more - which is the great unknown, obviously.
I suspect many thousands of pounds will be required before then to replace the batteries...
I've gone back, with a fine tooth comb to see much I've spent on cars. On average it comes out at ~£500 a year, except for brand new to 3 yr olds which average £150. So I'm prepared for maintenance costs, so long as they aren't extortionate.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

User avatar
Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8477
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:27 pm
Location: Skye high

Re: Electric Cars.

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:02 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:24 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:36 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:18 pm
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:23 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:21 pm
Thanks for the feedback folks.
I've decided to leave it for a while. I've put some wedge away in an account so I won't spend it.
I've heard that the Tesla model 3 for left hand drive will be out next year. Apparently better than the mark 1 and cheaper than the S.
As for hybrids, AT, they are probably where it's at right now, but I'm thinking long term... maybe too long term.
So, yep, I'll see how electrics develop in the next few months or a year or so. :oops:
My son has had a Tesla S for the last three years or so. He loves it. Extremely fast acceleration but incredibly quiet. Range about twice that of other electric cars - about 400 kms. He is planning to drive across America next year where he'll have to use the Tesla superstations. A "fill-up" there is supposed to take 20 minutes which is not bad if true. He's had no mechanical problems. I know nothing about software upgrades but will ask him. To me the real downside is the price.
Cheers Monty. That was the kind of thing I've been told, third hand, that made me consider it in the first place. The price is within my budget if the car can last fifteen years or more - which is the great unknown, obviously.
I suspect many thousands of pounds will be required before then to replace the batteries...
I've gone back, with a fine tooth comb to see much I've spent on cars. On average it comes out at ~£500 a year, except for brand new to 3 yr olds which average £150. So I'm prepared for maintenance costs, so long as they aren't extortionate.
Guestimates I've seen are in the 10k range. Dunno if that's bullshit and technology will move on, but I'd not like to chance it.

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18436
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: Electric Cars.

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:05 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:02 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:24 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:36 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:18 pm
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:23 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:21 pm
Thanks for the feedback folks.
I've decided to leave it for a while. I've put some wedge away in an account so I won't spend it.
I've heard that the Tesla model 3 for left hand drive will be out next year. Apparently better than the mark 1 and cheaper than the S.
As for hybrids, AT, they are probably where it's at right now, but I'm thinking long term... maybe too long term.
So, yep, I'll see how electrics develop in the next few months or a year or so. :oops:
My son has had a Tesla S for the last three years or so. He loves it. Extremely fast acceleration but incredibly quiet. Range about twice that of other electric cars - about 400 kms. He is planning to drive across America next year where he'll have to use the Tesla superstations. A "fill-up" there is supposed to take 20 minutes which is not bad if true. He's had no mechanical problems. I know nothing about software upgrades but will ask him. To me the real downside is the price.
Cheers Monty. That was the kind of thing I've been told, third hand, that made me consider it in the first place. The price is within my budget if the car can last fifteen years or more - which is the great unknown, obviously.
I suspect many thousands of pounds will be required before then to replace the batteries...
I've gone back, with a fine tooth comb to see much I've spent on cars. On average it comes out at ~£500 a year, except for brand new to 3 yr olds which average £150. So I'm prepared for maintenance costs, so long as they aren't extortionate.
Guestimates I've seen are in the 10k range. Dunno if that's bullshit and technology will move on, but I'd not like to chance it.
Yes. That I'd call extortionate. I shall have to check up more on this aspect. I assumed that over the years the batteries would get better and cheaper, but that was just an assumption and I didn't factor in the sheer price of a replacement battery. Good job I didn't leap straight in ...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

User avatar
Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8477
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:27 pm
Location: Skye high

Re: Electric Cars.

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:15 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:05 pm

Yes. That I'd call extortionate. I shall have to check up more on this aspect. I assumed that over the years the batteries would get better and cheaper, but that was just an assumption and I didn't factor in the sheer price of a replacement battery. Good job I didn't leap straight in ...
I'm sure the technology will move on, but I have doubts whether the manufacturers will wants to make it backwards compatible as it'll likely be more lucrative to sell you the latest greatest - see mobile phones and just about every other electrical device of the last decade or 2...

We decided to chance it with the Phev as if the battery deteriorates, as long as it still works to a degree then we'll just have a less efficient car, but a working one nonetheless :)

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18436
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: Electric Cars.

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:05 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:15 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:05 pm

Yes. That I'd call extortionate. I shall have to check up more on this aspect. I assumed that over the years the batteries would get better and cheaper, but that was just an assumption and I didn't factor in the sheer price of a replacement battery. Good job I didn't leap straight in ...
I'm sure the technology will move on, but I have doubts whether the manufacturers will wants to make it backwards compatible as it'll likely be more lucrative to sell you the latest greatest - see mobile phones and just about every other electrical device of the last decade or 2...

We decided to chance it with the Phev as if the battery deteriorates, as long as it still works to a degree then we'll just have a less efficient car, but a working one nonetheless :)
Yep, that's a serious drawback I hadn't fully thought through...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

User avatar
Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12675
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 12:45 am
Location: Montreal, Canada

Re: Electric Cars.

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:39 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:05 pm


Yep, that's a serious drawback I hadn't fully thought through...

Tesla maintenance costs seem reasonable in the research I've done. One annual checkup. Here is one article that checks the Tesla S after 300,000 miles (no car of mine has gone that far tbh).

After those 300,000 miles, eHawk’s maintenance and “fuel” costs have totalled only $10,492. (Update: Some commenters have noted that this calculation didn’t take tires into account and that Tesla replaced the battery after 200,000 miles for some unique reasons … but free of charge.)

Furthermore, the bulk of that cost was just scheduled maintenance fees ($6,900). Another $3,500 was to repair a headlamp after the car drove through deep water — my guess is that the driver had the Lotus Esprit Easter egg turned on and forgot that the car wasn’t actually a James Bond submarine car. Yes, it seems those two items accounted for all of the eHawk’s “maintenance and fuel” costs, which would indicate that the car didn’t spend a dime charging (aside from whatever Tesla priced into the car for Supercharger access).

If this sounds like an insanely low maintenance and fuel cost for 300,000 miles of driving, that’s because it is, especially for a car in this class. “Had this been an Mercedes S class, the scheduled routine maintenance and fuel would have been $86,000 ($52,000 maintenance and $36,000* fuel) with 112 days of servicing, or for a Lincoln Town Car $70,000 ($28,000 maintenance and $42,000** fuel) with around 100 days of servicing,” Tesloop writes. The Tesla Model S was in the shop for just 12 days.

Naturally, these benefits are some of the things that stimulated a few other cleantech fanatics and me to start up Tesla Shuttle in Europe. As I indicated just the other day, we spent approximately $70 on charging over our first 17,000 kilometers. Thanks to Tesloop for leading the way!

Also, it’s good to see this quote from Tesloop founder Haydn Sonnad, indicating that the faith he placed in Tesla has been paying off beautifully:

“Over the last two years, we have seen that electric, supercharged vehicles can be deployed at utilization levels unheard of with gas vehicles. And while saving over $60,000 on fuel and maintenance is a substantial economic win, we feel the bigger win is that this car is ready for another 900,000 miles over the next 6 years under its current warranty. A gas car with 300,000 miles would be near the end of its useful lifespan. This means that the economics for mobility services on electric is more attractive than non-electric vehicles by a multiple, and when combined with autonomous driving features, the economic advantage in cost per mile will create unprecedented disruption in the overall automotive industry.”

I’ll just close with one broader statement, since I got a little bit of pushback on my article about our first 17,000 kilometers, even being called a “leech” by one person. It’s easy to see one of our car’s or Tesloop’s eHawk as just “one customer car,” but the fact of the matter is that we are driving many customers in electric Tesla vehicles instead of gas cars and airplanes. 300,000 miles served how many customers? Only Tesloop knows, but the point is that this one car prevented approximately 300,000 miles by gasmobile or airplane. If you take a US driving average of approximately 13,500 miles a year and assume two full years of service in the eHawk, that’s sort of like replacing 22 other cars. Naturally, that’s not a perfect way to look at it, but you get the point.

Congratulations to Tesloop, and to Tesla for creating such a superb vehicle at just the right time.
.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.
:pray:Image

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18436
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: Electric Cars.

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:45 pm

Who the fxck drives 300,000 miles in a car that's new!
Thanks for the input Monty. But.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest