News stories that make you think, or not...

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Re: News stories that make you think, or not...

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu May 23, 2019 10:31 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:14 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:39 pm
Not watching GofT but re the sex Ed stuff, surely it’s all about getting a happy medium? Yes, kids should be kids as long as possible - and sometimes there is no need to know some stuff at a very young age, but equally to be taught the facts that are ‘this is how some people live their life and we need to show acceptance’ is not wrong at all. Younger children tend to be more accepting of things then teenagers/adults. Despite what the media tell us, certainly in my, admittedly fairly rural part of the world as a teacher I’ve not come across any transgender kids in my many years of teaching many pupils and only one set of same sex parents. I don’t think that in primary schools especially kids are going to encounter much out of ‘the norm’ that way so I don’t see why it should ALL be taught at a very young age. My twins are 8 and we get told what they are being taught about sex/relationships in PSHE and the option is there to pull them out if we wish. I haven’t yet and don’t really intend to but I’m glad the option is there, my only concern is that yes, seriously conservative religious people - be that Christian, Muslim whatever might then pull their children out of everything and then not explain anything at home either which doesn’t help any child. I will say that it seems a lot more is taught at a much younger age then it was in my generation, maybe that’s due to changes in the world but it’s not like same sex couples/transgender issues etc etc are any new thing.
Hello G.G, nice to hear from you and amazing to find your twins are eight years old. How time flies. :)
Thanks Tango! It sure does. Are you well? My youngest, Luke, just turned 4 beginning of May so hands are quite full but am very happy with motherhood. Less so with Arsenal’s current form but still, a little hope for a trophy this season and can hardly complain compared to some. Sorry to read of Bolton’s woes, hoping things will take a turn for the better for you all. Tough times :(

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 23, 2019 10:35 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Not watching GofT but re the sex Ed stuff, surely it’s all about getting a happy medium? Yes, kids should be kids as long as possible - and sometimes there is no need to know some stuff at a very young age, but equally to be taught the facts that are ‘this is how some people live their life and we need to show acceptance’ is not wrong at all. Younger children tend to be more accepting of things then teenagers/adults. Despite what the media tell us, certainly in my, admittedly fairly rural part of the world as a teacher I’ve not come across any transgender kids in my many years of teaching many pupils and only one set of same sex parents. I don’t think that in primary schools especially kids are going to encounter much out of ‘the norm’ that way so I don’t see why it should ALL be taught at a very young age. My twins are 8 and we get told what they are being taught about sex/relationships in PSHE and the option is there to pull them out if we wish. I haven’t yet and don’t really intend to but I’m glad the option is there, my only concern is that yes, seriously conservative religious people - be that Christian, Muslim whatever might then pull their children out of everything and then not explain anything at home either which doesn’t help any child. I will say that it seems a lot more is taught at a much younger age then it was in my generation, maybe that’s due to changes in the world but it’s not like same sex couples/transgender issues etc etc are any new thing.
There are a two same sex couples parents my kids class. So I guess it depends where you are.

It’s about tolerance - kids need to know it’s ok. Not the mechanics certainly not at primary age, but acceptance of others for me is key and understanding the world they live in.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Fri May 24, 2019 4:38 am

Hey, GG, welcome back, it's wonderful to see you. I have never forgotten the photograph you posted of your twins walking/waddling down that beautiful track through a copse. :)

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri May 24, 2019 10:01 am

Dujon wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 4:38 am
Hey, GG, welcome back, it's wonderful to see you. I have never forgotten the photograph you posted of your twins walking/waddling down that beautiful track through a copse. :)
Thanks Dujon, hope you’re well! I think I remember the photo you mean!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri May 24, 2019 10:06 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:35 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
There are a two same sex couples parents my kids class. So I guess it depends where you are.

It’s about tolerance - kids need to know it’s ok. Not the mechanics certainly not at primary age, but acceptance of others for me is key and understanding the world they live in.
I would say that’s quite unusual but as you say maybe it depends where you live, are you very urban?

I don’t disagree with the rest of what you put but how much should be a teachers job and how much should come from the parents at home? I’m not saying it shouldn’t be covered in schools but in a perfect world all parents would teach their children to be tolerant/acceptant and teachers could get on and teach other stuff. Sadly I guess you can’t guarantee every parent will do this, still plenty of bigoted people out there be that about race/gender/religion/sexuality etc. :(

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 24, 2019 10:47 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:06 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:35 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:

I would say that’s quite unusual but as you say maybe it depends where you live, are you very urban?

I don’t disagree with the rest of what you put but how much should be a teachers job and how much should come from the parents at home? I’m not saying it shouldn’t be covered in schools but in a perfect world all parents would teach their children to be tolerant/acceptant and teachers could get on and teach other stuff. Sadly I guess you can’t guarantee every parent will do this, still plenty of bigoted people out there be that about race/gender/religion/sexuality etc. :(
Fo sho.....ermmm yeah.

As for your last sentence - exactly. The bigots are the issue. I knew someone who was likely gay as a kid. He didn't even know it. He was just "different" to most kids. Was bullied mercilessly at school. Ended up killing himself at 14. If we can prevent that happening then in my view we must.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri May 24, 2019 1:24 pm

How utterly ridiculous is this?

merlin_155279730_aac43d93-2837-4e13-8986-f94aad267f2c-jumbo.jpg
merlin_155279730_aac43d93-2837-4e13-8986-f94aad267f2c-jumbo.jpg (159.21 KiB) Viewed 2954 times
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri May 24, 2019 1:58 pm

[tweet][/tweet]
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 1:24 pm

That everest spotty?

If it is, their plans to limit access look to have failed!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri May 24, 2019 2:22 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 1:58 pm
[tweet][/tweet]
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

That everest spotty?

It's Everest (recent climb this month posted 19 hours ago). A good day to be out and about and queue for three hours in minus 25 degree centigrade winds. 350 climbers in the queue directly resulting in two deaths.
Another 750 permits have been granted.
The number of climbers has been reduced through the permit system (£52,000 to climb if you're non Sherpa on the Nepali side, with a mere 4500 permits allowed per year). The Chinese are even more restrictive. The problem is that good days are rare, so every Fxcker heads upwards at the same time, and all the unfit rich cxnts hold up everybody else... Except now the overwhelming majority are very unfit and very rich.
It's a pleasure to watch them die like flies when the summit looks like that. It's the poor bastard Sherpas who have to cart the bodies off I feel sorry for.
Last edited by Lost Leopard Spot on Fri May 24, 2019 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 24, 2019 2:23 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 2:22 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
[tweet][/tweet]
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

That everest spotty?

It's Everest. A good day to be out and about and queue for three hours in minus 25 degree centigrade winds. 350 climbers in the queue resulting in two deaths.
The number of climbers has been reduced through the permit system (£52,000 to climb if you're non Sherpa on the Nepali side, with a mere 4500 permits allowed per year). The Chinese are even more restrictive. The problem is that good days are rare, so every Fxcker heads upwards at the same time, and all the unfit rich cxnts hold up everybody else... Except now the overwhelming majority are very unfit and very rich.
It's a pleasure to watch them die like flies when the summit looks like that. It's the poor bastard Sherpas who have to cart the bodies off I feel sorry for.
Not to mention the littering....

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri May 24, 2019 2:38 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 2:23 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
[tweet][/tweet]
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

That everest spotty?

It's Everest. A good day to be out and about and queue for three hours in minus 25 degree centigrade winds. 350 climbers in the queue resulting in two deaths.
Not to mention the littering....
Indeed.
Each climber has an average of 300 pounds of equipment carted up the mountain... And an estimated ten pounds of equipment is brought back down.
Nobody knows exactly because they are too innumerable to count but there are around twenty thousand tents abandoned. In parts of base camp climbers are camping on top of two foot of accumulated debris.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri May 24, 2019 3:20 pm

Ha!
News story "One Room left, often a lie".
Hotel comparison websites use this tactic in a deceitful way, so I decided to test it. Through Booking.com I booked a room yesterday that had, "Just one left" in large red type. Friends we intend to meet up with, also did the same a few hours later (with them having an identical message).
Guess what, same hotel on same website has this afternoon, over twenty hours later, the same message: One Room left, Book Now!
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri May 24, 2019 5:44 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
[tweet][/tweet]
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

That everest spotty?

It's Everest (recent climb this month posted 19 hours ago). A good day to be out and about and queue for three hours in minus 25 degree centigrade winds. 350 climbers in the queue directly resulting in two deaths.
I was reading about this. Problem is it’s a huge source of income to Nepal, a very poor country so I can’t see them reducing permits further. Would be a shame if they then priced genuine keen mountaineers out of climbing it instead though.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri May 24, 2019 6:17 pm

I'd recommend the John Krakauer and Anatoli Boukreev books on their Everest climb. They both dispute each others version of events but were complaining of similar pressures 20 years ago. On their expedition, a journalist, Sandy Pitman, paid 50k to be practically stretchered to the summit and back by Sherpas
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri May 24, 2019 7:08 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 5:44 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
[tweet][/tweet]
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

That everest spotty?

I was reading about this. Problem is it’s a huge source of income to Nepal, a very poor country so I can’t see them reducing permits further. Would be a shame if they then priced genuine keen mountaineers out of climbing it instead though.
There are answers, but it would take organisation.
To start, it should be mandatory that more shit is brought off the mountain by each permit holder than they (and their Sherpas) take up.
There ought to be not just a permit to climb, but an obligation to pay fees for school children in Nepal (for example) five years before permits are granted.
Summiteers should show proof they've soloed on lesser mountains first...
Etc.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon May 27, 2019 11:06 am

Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu May 30, 2019 9:32 pm

Dujon wrote:
How’s this for a photograph Dujon? One of my twins got to be the mascot at Arsene Wengers last ever home game last year (a 5-0 win Vs Burnley). It was the most amazing day. Completely magical. (Let’s not talk about how it’s all gone since... :| )

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&sfns=mo

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 30, 2019 10:36 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:32 pm
Dujon wrote:
How’s this for a photograph Dujon? One of my twins got to be the mascot at Arsene Wengers last ever home game last year (a 5-0 win Vs Burnley). It was the most amazing day. Completely magical. (Let’s not talk about how it’s all gone since... :| )

It was not going very well before either....

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu May 30, 2019 11:10 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 10:36 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:32 pm
Dujon wrote:

It was not going very well before either....
Fair point :cry: but as we have seen this season grass isn’t always greener. Last night was just a joke. Shows just how big the gap between us and the top 4 teams is even if it was a matter of a few points at the end of the season, I fear the gap will get bigger not smaller.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Fri May 31, 2019 2:53 am

[Gooner Girl] What a fantastic moment for the young fellow! I hope he remembers it forever.

A shame for the result in the final. Bad luck. I suppose my Chelsea following cyberfriend (he gave up going to matches years ago when it became too commercial) will be chortling a little. Cross town rivalry and all that. :(