News stories that make you think, or not...

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7203
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: News stories that make you think, or not...

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri May 31, 2019 8:20 am

Dujon wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 2:53 am
[Gooner Girl] What a fantastic moment for the young fellow! I hope he remembers it forever.

A shame for the result in the final. Bad luck. I suppose my Chelsea following cyberfriend (he gave up going to matches years ago when it became too commercial) will be chortling a little. Cross town rivalry and all that. :(
Ridiculous with the two clubs so close geographically it had to take place so far away in a country few fans could easily get too and where one of our players wasn’t safe to travel to but that’s another story... :evil:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25407
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: News stories that make you think, or not...

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 31, 2019 8:23 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:10 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 10:36 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:32 pm
Dujon wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 4:38 am
Hey, GG, welcome back, it's wonderful to see you. I have never forgotten the photograph you posted of your twins walking/waddling down that beautiful track through a copse. :)
How’s this for a photograph Dujon? One of my twins got to be the mascot at Arsene Wengers last ever home game last year (a 5-0 win Vs Burnley). It was the most amazing day. Completely magical. (Let’s not talk about how it’s all gone since... :| )

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&sfns=mo
It was not going very well before either....
Fair point :cry: but as we have seen this season grass isn’t always greener. Last night was just a joke. Shows just how big the gap between us and the top 4 teams is even if it was a matter of a few points at the end of the season, I fear the gap will get bigger not smaller.
The gap will get bigger unless you start spending some money on some proper footballers. This has been your issue. You are not bringing in the quality required. Partly because you don't spend enough and partly because Wenger went proper demented mental for the past few years and left your squad woefully short of the ingredients needed.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 6910
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: News stories that make you think, or not...

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri May 31, 2019 10:31 am

^:Aye. To a lesser extent Utd and Chelsea have done similar. Got players in that just can't cut it at the very best level. Is that a failing on their part or just how high City and Liverpool have set the bar?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25407
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: News stories that make you think, or not...

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 31, 2019 11:27 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 10:31 am
^:Aye. To a lesser extent Utd and Chelsea have done similar. Got players in that just can't cut it at the very best level. Is that a failing on their part or just how high City and Liverpool have set the bar?
United have spent almost as much as City...so definitely a failing on their part. Though I'd say that it was always going to be hard post-Ferguson. They were always going to have a period of struggle. Just like we did after losing a long-term manager who ran the place top to bottom and had total authority.

Chelsea haven't really been competitive in the market (and now have a transfer ban and will lose Hazard) as Abramovich hasn't bankrolled them to the same extent - they've not been paupers but certainly not matched City/United - their net spend over 5 years being half of what United/City spent.

Liverpool are outperfoming their spend thus far - but have a good manager making structured decisions.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7203
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: News stories that make you think, or not...

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri May 31, 2019 2:30 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 8:23 am
Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:10 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 10:36 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:32 pm
Dujon wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 4:38 am
Hey, GG, welcome back, it's wonderful to see you. I have never forgotten the photograph you posted of your twins walking/waddling down that beautiful track through a copse. :)
How’s this for a photograph Dujon? One of my twins got to be the mascot at Arsene Wengers last ever home game last year (a 5-0 win Vs Burnley). It was the most amazing day. Completely magical. (Let’s not talk about how it’s all gone since... :| )

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&sfns=mo
It was not going very well before either....
Fair point :cry: but as we have seen this season grass isn’t always greener. Last night was just a joke. Shows just how big the gap between us and the top 4 teams is even if it was a matter of a few points at the end of the season, I fear the gap will get bigger not smaller.
The gap will get bigger unless you start spending some money on some proper footballers. This has been your issue. You are not bringing in the quality required. Partly because you don't spend enough and partly because Wenger went proper demented mental for the past few years and left your squad woefully short of the ingredients needed.
Can’t disagree with that, strike duo aside (and even they disappointed Wednesday) we are very mediocre in every area, the problem is our budget was never very big compared to others even when we were in the champions league and now that we aren’t... £40 million is the amount being banded around and what does that get you at the top of the premier league these days? Need to get rid of Ozil. Thought Emery should have played him more at the start of the season but actually when he has played he’s been really poor and he’s on an insane salary. Problem is I’m not sure many will want him for the amount he wants to be paid.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 6910
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: News stories that make you think, or not...

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri May 31, 2019 2:36 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 2:30 pm
Need to get rid of Ozil. Thought Emery should have played him more at the start of the season but actually when he has played he’s been really poor and he’s on an insane salary. Problem is I’m not sure many will want him for the amount he wants to be paid.
Call it karma for dropping Sanchez on Man U at £300k a week! :wink:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7203
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: News stories that make you think, or not...

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri May 31, 2019 2:42 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 2:36 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 2:30 pm
Need to get rid of Ozil. Thought Emery should have played him more at the start of the season but actually when he has played he’s been really poor and he’s on an insane salary. Problem is I’m not sure many will want him for the amount he wants to be paid.
Call it karma for dropping Sanchez on Man U at £300k a week! :wink:
Sanchez and his time at Man U are a nice silver lining to my cloud at the moment! :laugh:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19779
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: News stories that make you think, or not...

Post by Prufrock » Fri May 31, 2019 2:47 pm

Yeah that contact to Ozil looks like a shocker, particularly given it seems to have contributed to you not keeping Ramsey.

Emery knows what he's doing bit is a big ask. Real shame about Holding's injury just as he'd nailed down a spot.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7203
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: News stories that make you think, or not...

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri May 31, 2019 3:26 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 2:47 pm
Yeah that contact to Ozil looks like a shocker, particularly given it seems to have contributed to you not keeping Ramsey.

Emery knows what he's doing bit is a big ask. Real shame about Holding's injury just as he'd nailed down a spot.
Aye though I’d argue Ramsey is not worth anything like what Juve are paying him either!

Deffo shame about Holding, I liked him and thought he was having a good season, still on the fence as to whether he could go on to reach the very top though, like many of our players - Iwobi, Guendouzi, Xhaka, Kolasinac etc all good enough but not top drawer when you think of who we have had in similar positions in the past.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25407
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: News stories that make you think, or not...

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 31, 2019 3:40 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 2:30 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 8:23 am
Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:10 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 10:36 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:32 pm
Dujon wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 4:38 am
Hey, GG, welcome back, it's wonderful to see you. I have never forgotten the photograph you posted of your twins walking/waddling down that beautiful track through a copse. :)
How’s this for a photograph Dujon? One of my twins got to be the mascot at Arsene Wengers last ever home game last year (a 5-0 win Vs Burnley). It was the most amazing day. Completely magical. (Let’s not talk about how it’s all gone since... :| )

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&sfns=mo
It was not going very well before either....
Fair point :cry: but as we have seen this season grass isn’t always greener. Last night was just a joke. Shows just how big the gap between us and the top 4 teams is even if it was a matter of a few points at the end of the season, I fear the gap will get bigger not smaller.
The gap will get bigger unless you start spending some money on some proper footballers. This has been your issue. You are not bringing in the quality required. Partly because you don't spend enough and partly because Wenger went proper demented mental for the past few years and left your squad woefully short of the ingredients needed.
Can’t disagree with that, strike duo aside (and even they disappointed Wednesday) we are very mediocre in every area, the problem is our budget was never very big compared to others even when we were in the champions league and now that we aren’t... £40 million is the amount being banded around and what does that get you at the top of the premier league these days? Need to get rid of Ozil. Thought Emery should have played him more at the start of the season but actually when he has played he’s been really poor and he’s on an insane salary. Problem is I’m not sure many will want him for the amount he wants to be paid.
Yeah - £40m probably isn't enough for a single player of the required quality these days. You might get one. If you are lucky and have brilliant scouts you might get two up and coming ones....

But Arsenal need to be matching the spending of the top clubs and that means hundred million plus a season. Given your ground, the attendances and cost of tickets I personally think its shocking that they expect you to turn up whilst they knowingly don't bother competing.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7203
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: News stories that make you think, or not...

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri May 31, 2019 10:38 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 3:40 pm


Yeah - £40m probably isn't enough for a single player of the required quality these days. You might get one. If you are lucky and have brilliant scouts you might get two up and coming ones....

But Arsenal need to be matching the spending of the top clubs and that means hundred million plus a season. Given your ground, the attendances and cost of tickets I personally think its shocking that they expect you to turn up whilst they knowingly don't bother competing.
Well people may vote with their feet this coming season if it stays as it is. I’ve been to 6/7 games this last season as the twins are old enough to enjoy it now and their tickets are only £10 each (which I don’t think is bad for PL football) but apart from the last few matches of the season which were sold out it wasn’t hard to get tickets, admittedly I have a silver membership but even if I waited to buy so I could use the red membership I also have to get tickets for a friend it wasn’t too tricky. I almost hope people do stop turning up though, would make a point to Kronke (who didn’t bother turning up himself to the final :evil: )

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18436
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: News stories that make you think, or not...

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:47 pm

Humidity is rising (uh rising), barometer's getting low (oh low, girl)
According to all sources (the newspapers now), Offerton Road's the place to go (we better hurry up)
'Cause tonight for the first time (first time)
Just about 3:40pm (3:40pm)
For the first time this week
It's gonna start raining men (start raining men)
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

User avatar
Dujon
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3245
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:37 am
Location: Nr. Sydney (Australia)
Contact:

Re: News stories that make you think, or not...

Post by Dujon » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:03 am

We could use those weather girls here, Spotty, if you have any to spare. Ta.

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18436
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: News stories that make you think, or not...

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:48 pm

Oh dear.
Headline in the Times:
Lionesses go home with only their pride.

Oh fxck, and directly below that one: Sailing charity needs £1m to stay afloat.

They've obviously employed a comedian as sub-editor.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18436
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: News stories that make you think, or not...

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:43 pm

So... The BBC show footage of Tommy Robinson outside court before, during, and after his conviction for showing footage outside court before, during and after the conviction of defendents who were found guilty...

Has some Fxcker made this up?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19779
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: News stories that make you think, or not...

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:28 pm

Almost like they're completely different.

Lord above!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18436
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: News stories that make you think, or not...

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:03 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:28 pm
Almost like they're completely different.

Lord above!
So explain the difference to me! If you think you know it all...

I mean, really. What is the difference? Why aren't the BBC being prosecuted/persecuted?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19779
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: News stories that make you think, or not...

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:38 pm

Firstly, because there is a difference between reporting the fact that Stephen Yaxley-Lennon is on trial, which is undisputed, and hanging out on the court steps through which jurors walk and proselytisying about muslim rape gangs in a clear attempt to sway a jury.

Secondly, unlike this case there was a court order in place specifically banning reporting on that case (which SYL was aware of) because it was sensitive.

Thirdly, and most importantly (it's why the other rules exist) unlike this case the BBC coverage posed no threat to the safety of any conviction SYL might receive. There was an article today about how close it came to a mistrial because of that bellend. A bunch of disgusting predators (now found guilty) nearly walked either because that prick endangered their trial or, more likely, because vulnerable people who had already psyched themselves up to give evidence reliving a traumatic experience couldn't face it again.

That cnut deserves nothing but scorn. You're wrong a lot, but in ways that make sense. This is a properly cretinous point.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18436
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: News stories that make you think, or not...

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:02 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:38 pm
Firstly, because there is a difference between reporting the fact that Stephen Yaxley-Lennon is on trial, which is undisputed, and hanging out on the court steps through which jurors walk and proselytisying about muslim rape gangs in a clear attempt to sway a jury.

Secondly, unlike this case there was a court order in place specifically banning reporting on that case (which SYL was aware of) because it was sensitive.

Thirdly, and most importantly (it's why the other rules exist) unlike this case the BBC coverage posed no threat to the safety of any conviction SYL might receive. There was an article today about how close it came to a mistrial because of that bellend. A bunch of disgusting predators (now found guilty) nearly walked either because that prick endangered their trial or, more likely, because vulnerable people who had already psyched themselves up to give evidence reliving a traumatic experience couldn't face it again.

That cnut deserves nothing but scorn. You're wrong a lot, but in ways that make sense. This is a properly cretinous point.
Ooooh thanks. That explained everything!
Whether Tommy Robinson, or SYL as you prefer, deserves scorn or not, I still don't see what the difference is between him filming outside a courtroom and the BBC doing it.
In your first instance, you claim a difference in intent. He's not been found guilty of intent, he's been found guilty of doing an act.
On your second point, so what? Why was there a court order specifically in place for one and not the other. This is what causes people to believe that the law is an arse. It's the same shit as to why it is wrong that MILLIONAIRES are granted gagging orders.
Thirdly, how the fxck do you know that the BBC's reporting posed no threat to the safety of any conviction SYL will receive... Have you not noticed the frothing at the mouth everybody drools just as soon as his name is mentioned?

And fourthly, even cretins have feelings.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18436
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: News stories that make you think, or not...

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:26 pm

So go on... how the fxck do you know that the BBC's reporting poses no threat to the safety of any conviction SYL will receive... ?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest