News stories that make you think, or not...

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38212
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: News stories that make you think, or not...

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:16 pm

A spot of bother eastwards where the sun rises........https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-49079719
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

Enoch
Icon
Icon
Posts: 4021
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: The Garden of England.

Re: News stories that make you think, or not...

Post by Enoch » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:18 pm

David Michael Gauke MP "tweeted" his cabinet resignation, just as Boris Johnson was making his acceptance speech having won the Conservative and Unionist Party leadership election.

How very grown up.

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18439
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: News stories that make you think, or not...

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:37 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:16 pm
A spot of bother eastwards where the sun rises........https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-49079719
I've been there. A very strange place indeed. All the residents are Siberian people (Ainu) who speak Japanese, but are Korean citizens.
Strangely enough when I was there (1983) was the time when a South Korean airliner (007) was shot down by the Russians over Japan's Kurile Islands.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Enoch
Icon
Icon
Posts: 4021
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: The Garden of England.

Re: News stories that make you think, or not...

Post by Enoch » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:29 pm

Found something in common with Ms Street-Porter today. Talking on The Media Show (Radio 4 16:30) she said she doesn't think Notre-Dame de Paris should be put back together.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38212
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: News stories that make you think, or not...

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:37 pm

Enoch wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:29 pm
Found something in common with Ms Street-Porter today. Talking on The Media Show (Radio 4 16:30) she said she doesn't think Notre-Dame de Paris should be put back together.
Your and hers reasons being?
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

Enoch
Icon
Icon
Posts: 4021
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: The Garden of England.

Re: News stories that make you think, or not...

Post by Enoch » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:12 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:37 pm
Enoch wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:29 pm
Found something in common with Ms Street-Porter today. Talking on The Media Show (Radio 4 16:30) she said she doesn't think Notre-Dame de Paris should be put back together.
Your and hers reasons being?
She didn't discuss hers, Tango. Mine are in the public record, on this very thread as happens.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38212
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: News stories that make you think, or not...

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:24 pm

Enoch wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:12 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:37 pm
Enoch wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:29 pm
Found something in common with Ms Street-Porter today. Talking on The Media Show (Radio 4 16:30) she said she doesn't think Notre-Dame de Paris should be put back together.
Your and hers reasons being?
She didn't discuss hers, Tango. Mine are in the public record, on this very thread as happens.
Ah, well, no point in going back to the never-ending belief or non-belief in God argument,
You either do or don't. and who is Janet Street Porter to decide French policy anyway? As a comment on a site said: "It's not just a building, it's a place of worship and the heart of Christianity in France. People are allowed to decide what they want to spend their money on, and they shouldn't be shamed for helping one cause and not another."

It is good however, to find that in this country, the Halifax Building Society insurance department firmly believe in God, because they just told a local couple who had a large oak tree crash into their garden and damage two vehicles during last night's thunderstorm, that they have no claim because it was an "Act of God". I think that might be a bit flexible a view from them. :wink:
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

Enoch
Icon
Icon
Posts: 4021
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: The Garden of England.

Re: News stories that make you think, or not...

Post by Enoch » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:29 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:24 pm
Enoch wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:12 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:37 pm
Enoch wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:29 pm
Found something in common with Ms Street-Porter today. Talking on The Media Show (Radio 4 16:30) she said she doesn't think Notre-Dame de Paris should be put back together.
Your and hers reasons being?
She didn't discuss hers, Tango. Mine are in the public record, on this very thread as happens.
Ah, well, no point in going back to the never-ending belief or non-belief in God argument,
You either do or don't. and who is Janet Street Porter to decide French policy anyway? As a comment on a site said: "It's not just a building, it's a place of worship and the heart of Christianity in France. People are allowed to decide what they want to spend their money on, and they shouldn't be shamed for helping one cause and not another."

It is good however, to find that in this country, the Halifax Building Society insurance department firmly believe in God, because they just told a local couple who had a large oak tree crash into their garden and damage two vehicles during last night's thunderstorm, that they have no claim because it was an "Act of God". I think that might be a bit flexible a view from them. :wink:

Nothing to do with faith, Tango.

The place was so beloved by this world it was falling down long before the fire. Likely it would be much less expensive to build a new edifice, if indeed there's a need for one, than produce a replica of what used to be.

Also, I fancy it would make a better site for pilgrimage as the ruin than as a twenty first century reconstruction.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38212
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: News stories that make you think, or not...

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:47 am

Enoch wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:29 am

Nothing to do with faith, Tango.

The place was so beloved by this world it was falling down long before the fire. Likely it would be much less expensive to build a new edifice, if indeed there's a need for one, than produce a replica of what used to be.Also, I fancy it would make a better site for pilgrimage as the ruin than as a twenty first century reconstruction.
Well, respecting your views ( which I realise you are relating to) on the economics Enoch and agreeing that time and tide cannot be denied, faith is surely what it all has to do with as the main argument for replacement because the building isn't just an historical, medieval building but a shrine to Our Lady of Paris to millions, I won't bore you or insult intelligence with details you can easily find on the internet, but take away the 800 years or so of worship to Christianity and the Virgin Mary, and more than a bricks and mortar edifice would be lost, the faith of the 12 million people who visit Notre Dame annually being not the least factor. (This country re-built Coventry Cathedral three times for faith not building excellence) Entrance to Notre Dame is listed as free, but all the main areas are charged for towards up-keep and maintenance.

Like I said, faith is exactly what Notre Dame is all about to the people. It's a symbol of it.
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 6987
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: News stories that make you think, or not...

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:34 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:47 am

Like I said, faith is exactly what Notre Dame is all about to the people. It's a symbol of it.
To the overwhelming majority of people who visit or admire it, I'd wager it's nothing to do with faith. It's a tourist attraction and a grand old building for sure. As for restoring it? If it's the French that's paying for it then I don't see why not.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38212
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: News stories that make you think, or not...

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:35 pm

I''ll have to do penance for this I know, but the current Archbishop of Coventry Cathedral is the splendidly titled very reverend Christopher Cocksworth . Deadpan..... :|
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38212
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: News stories that make you think, or not...

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:20 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:34 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:47 am

Like I said, faith is exactly what Notre Dame is all about to the people. It's a symbol of it.
To the overwhelming majority of people who visit or admire it, I'd wager it's nothing to do with faith. It's a tourist attraction and a grand old building for sure. As for restoring it? If it's the French that's paying for it then I don't see why not.
And the fact that it is a religious cathedral built for prayer and worship Harry?

Faith in God is an amazingly powerful emotion. I've visited Knock Shrine a couple of times (because my father's family came from there) even served mass at the shrine itself as a youth, and one and a half million people still visit what is basically a magnificent church in small Irish country village with no other attractions for miles around, each year in the pilgrimage season. They even built a flourishing airport there to cater for the visitors. It isn't tourists who go there, believe me, unless they're Catholics.

Even Napoleon gave Notre Dame Cathedral back to the Catholics back in 1801 or so.
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18439
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: News stories that make you think, or not...

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:31 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:20 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:34 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:47 am

Like I said, faith is exactly what Notre Dame is all about to the people. It's a symbol of it.
To the overwhelming majority of people who visit or admire it, I'd wager it's nothing to do with faith. It's a tourist attraction and a grand old building for sure. As for restoring it? If it's the French that's paying for it then I don't see why not.
And the fact that it is a religious cathedral built for prayer and worship Harry?

Faith in God is an amazingly powerful emotion. I've visited Knock Shrine a couple of times (because my father's family came from there) even served mass at the shrine itself as a youth, and one and a half million people still visit what is basically a magnificent church in small Irish country village with no other attractions for miles around, each year in the pilgrimage season. They even built a flourishing airport there to cater for the visitors. It isn't tourists who go there, believe me, unless they're Catholics.

Even Napoleon gave Notre Dame Cathedral back to the Catholics back in 1801 or so.
Not so sure you are right there Tango. I don't think I can even be classified as Christian, let alone Catholic, but I've been there.
I disagree with Enoch, just because it was decaying previously is no argument for not fully restoring it.
The most mind blowing building in the world I've been to has been fully restored thrice - once way back in the eighth century or so when an earthquake flattened it, and twice since recently (the latest in 1709) when fire had ravaged it. How can you contemplate a world without beauty and an inheritance of communal spirit? And I'm an outright Atheist!
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38212
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: News stories that make you think, or not...

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:42 pm

^^
Just to clarify the above Spots, is it Notre Dame or Knock you refer to? If the latter, I'd be intrigued, and very interested to know why you went there?
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18439
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: News stories that make you think, or not...

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:48 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:42 pm
^^
Just to clarify the above Spots, is it Notre Dame or Knock you refer to? If the latter, I'd be intrigued, and very interested to know why you went there?
Ahhh, sorry. I was talking Notre Dame. I'd prefer to poke my eyes out with a burnt stick than go to Knock or Lourdes.... :oops:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38212
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: News stories that make you think, or not...

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:24 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:48 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:42 pm
^^
Just to clarify the above Spots, is it Notre Dame or Knock you refer to? If the latter, I'd be intrigued, and very interested to know why you went there?
Ahhh, sorry. I was talking Notre Dame. I'd prefer to poke my eyes out with a burnt stick than go to Knock or Lourdes.... :oops:
An Atheistic point of view of course.. :lol:
I'd think differently now , but first visit was a big adventure for me and my brother at 10 and 8 years old respectively. Train ride to Liverpool, an overnight sea voyage (deck class as we couldn't afford cabins) and then more train stuff across three quarters of Ireland. What's not to like...a taxi ride from Ballyhaunis, stop in a hostal run by nuns in Knock, go to mass, basic breakfast (lots of soda bread and butter fortunately) walk around the three shops, go for a six mile walk, see the relations,(my dad's brothers and families) walk home, tea and another walk before bedtime. Next day, same but different relations. Third day chat with the parish priest who my mother can't wait to inform her son is an altarboy and get me invited to serve mass next morning etc,etc all leading up to the great pilgrimage on Sunday. Bikes, cars, coaches, ambulances, taxis, wheelchairs, crutches, walking sticks and still they came. A total day of prayer and ceremony followed by chicken and potato tea with the relations, by which time brother and I were dreaming of Blackpool for next year. We did this for three years until finally it ended. I can see how it might not appeal to everybody....:oyea:

We got to Blackpool eventually.
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

Enoch
Icon
Icon
Posts: 4021
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: The Garden of England.

Re: News stories that make you think, or not...

Post by Enoch » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:36 pm

"WE'VE GOT 20,000 FEWER POLICE OFFICERS ON THE STREET. HOW THE F*CK DO YOU EXPECT US TO DO A JOB!"


"Ok, we hear you. We're going to recruit 20,000 extra police officers starting today."


"WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY. THEY WON'T BE READY FOR A YEAR AND THEY WON'T EVEN BE THE RIGHT KIND OF POLICE!"

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18439
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: News stories that make you think, or not...

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:29 pm

Enoch wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:36 pm
"WE'VE GOT 20,000 FEWER POLICE OFFICERS ON THE STREET. HOW THE F*CK DO YOU EXPECT US TO DO A JOB!"


"Ok, we hear you. We're going to recruit 20,000 extra police officers starting today."


"WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY. THEY WON'T BE READY FOR A YEAR AND THEY WON'T EVEN BE THE RIGHT KIND OF POLICE!"
On the other hoof, teachers are given 2.7% wage increase, the first above inflation in over eight years. And it has to come out of school budgets, which aren't going up, not even by inflation. Peter robbing Peter to pay Peter.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 35556
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: News stories that make you think, or not...

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:58 pm

Enoch wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:36 pm
"WE'VE GOT 20,000 FEWER POLICE OFFICERS ON THE STREET. HOW THE F*CK DO YOU EXPECT US TO DO A JOB!"


"Ok, we hear you. We're going to recruit 20,000 extra police officers starting today."


"WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY. THEY WON'T BE READY FOR A YEAR AND THEY WON'T EVEN BE THE RIGHT KIND OF POLICE!"
Lazy bastards will be retiring at 52 anyway ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18439
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: News stories that make you think, or not...

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:50 pm

Carl 'Nick' Beech jailed for 18 years. Hahaha, take that you obnoxious cxnt.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests