Free Speech....and all that stuff...

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Free Speech....and all that stuff...

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:10 am

Can somebody explain what it is? Only I thought the idea was to work towards allowing people to pass their views and respect others (even if you heartily disagree with some)...but apparently not, because its' getting to the stage where folk are afraid to open their mouths.

(Oh, btw latest P.C. upsetters are apparently Ken Dod's tickling stick and Tommy Cooper's fez...I kid you not. :shock: (to protect the sender from blame, abuse and targeting by aliens, this message will eliminate itself at midnight. ) ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Free Speech....and all that stuff...

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:23 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:10 am
Can somebody explain what it is? Only I thought the idea was to work towards allowing people to pass their views and respect others (even if you heartily disagree with some)...but apparently not, because its' getting to the stage where folk are afraid to open their mouths.

(Oh, btw latest P.C. upsetters are apparently Ken Dod's tickling stick and Tommy Cooper's fez...I kid you not. :shock: (to protect the sender from blame, abuse and targeting by aliens, this message will eliminate itself at midnight. ) ae:)
Well I can explain what it is: The right to express any opinions without censorship or restraint.
What I can't explain is why "liberal" types are amongst the first to crack down on it, alongside far right and far left governments.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:41 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:23 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:10 am

Well I can explain what it is: The right to express any opinions without censorship or restraint.
What I can't explain is why "liberal" types are amongst the first to crack down on it, alongside far right and far left governments.
I think the problem comes when free speech is then confused and conflated with free action.
Under free speech it should be right to be able to call out people for doing shit, like for example camping on a public car park. But it shouldn't be right for doing shit, like for example camping on said public car park, or burning down the tent of the cxnt who camped on the public car park.
It should be a right of free speech to call Jo Brand an unfunny fat cxnt (which is a poor example, because she actually is an unfunny fat cxnt), but it should be illegal and punishable by death to poke her in the midriff whilst shouting "you fat cxnt".
I uphold the right of Jo Brand to talk about dousing people in battery acid. So long as she observed the same decorum when I talk about getting away with murdering the great whale by dissolving her in something stronger than just battery acid *joke* (you can see I'm as unfunny as she is - but at least I'm not fat).

The real problem arises with Mr Cooper's fez. Because that's an action and not just talk. Personally speaking, I don't see how anyone can get upset about someone wearing a fez. And as far as I know it isn't illegal. Therefore I'll use my free speech right to state anyone who gets upset about anyone whatsoever wearing a fez needs dissolving in sulphuric acid *was never intended as a joke. I fxcking mean it*.

There, that's Free Speech
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:36 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:41 pm

It should be a right of free speech to call Jo Brand an unfunny fat cxnt (which is a poor example, because she actually is an unfunny fat cxnt), but it should be illegal and punishable by death to poke her in the midriff whilst shouting "you fat cxnt".
I uphold the right of Jo Brand to talk about dousing people in battery acid. So long as she observed the same decorum when I talk about getting away with murdering the great whale by dissolving her in something stronger than just battery acid *joke* (you can see I'm as unfunny as she is - but at least I'm not fat).

The real problem arises with Mr Cooper's fez.
Because that's an action and not just talk. Personally speaking, I don't see how anyone can get upset about someone wearing a fez. And as far as I know it isn't illegal. Therefore I'll use my free speech right to state anyone who gets upset about anyone whatsoever wearing a fez needs dissolving in sulphuric acid *was never intended as a joke. I fxcking mean it*.There, that's Free Speech
Even though he's been dead 35 years? Wait till they get a grip of Dick Emery and Village People, oh, and Monty Python lot (if there are any left) had better emigrate to Amsterdam or somewhere. .. :shock:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:14 am

Some things you can laugh off/at, some you can't. The Vegan nutter who stuck a sign on a butchers's window wishing cancer on his family is decidedly the latter. (I have a vegan daughter, so don't take it I have issue on that, if you please. I also have one who is a mild vegetarian and one who enjoys a good steak. They all get on fine ). Why is it the freaky minorities are always the ones that make the news?

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:15 am

Because, TANGO, there's no interest in a chap in Farnworth and another in Blaxland extolling the virtues of meals such as a meat and three veg. ;)

Post Script: My son is a vegetarian, but not a vegan.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:06 am

Mark Field in 'horiffic scenes'. I've seen more violence in a queue for the pies at half time :roll:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:59 am

"In a statement, Greenpeace said it was 'shocked' at the response to a peaceful protest."

adjective
free from disturbance; tranquil.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:37 am

https://news.sky.com/story/tory-mp-mark ... k-11745967

Personally, I think he should be congratulated for taking a stand against these protecters who should not have been there. If you gatecrash an event by shouting and refusing to leave then you can expect to be forcible removed. I don't think it was the assault that the opposition are claiming irrespective of your views of climate change.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:27 am

There's almost a reverse sexism going on with it too. If it had been a male protestor would it have even made the news?

By all means protest outside an event but don't be surprised if you get 'man'handled if you go gatecrashing
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:45 am

Dujon wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:15 am
Because, TANGO, there's no interest in a chap in Farnworth and another in Blaxland extolling the virtues of meals such as a meat and three veg. ;)

Post Script: My son is a vegetarian, but not a vegan.
Aye, happen you're right Dujon, despite their eating habits helping them reach eighty (in my case) and still be rolling happily along. :wink:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:09 am

Absolutely 100% behind Field on this. In fact, I thought he demonstrated a level of restraint.I see the Greenpeace-ers are playing the 'unarmed female' card as opposed to 'potential terrorist'. "She was wearing a Greenpeace sash". Oh, well that's alright then. :roll:

The person who does want hauling over the coals is whoever was responsible for security in the first place.
Last edited by Bruce Rioja on Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:09 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:09 am
The person who does want hauling over the coals is whoever was responsible for security in the first place.
That was my first thought.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:23 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:06 am
Mark Field in 'horiffic scenes'. I've seen more violence in a queue for the pies at half time :roll:
:lol:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:44 pm

I think it's heavy handed and over the top. But nowhere near as bad as is being made out by some.

Damn sight more violent then a milkshake though.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:03 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:44 pm
I think it's heavy handed and over the top. But nowhere near as bad as is being made out by some.

No it wasn't. The milkshake was Offensive. Field was Defensive.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:41 am

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:44 pm

I wonder just how heavy handed the unwashed scumbags thought it was when the heavily armed Russian commandos stormed their ship that time? I'll bet they really did need a change of underware :lol: