Rugby World Cup (RWC 19)

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Rugby World Cup (RWC 19)

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:56 pm

Good warmup win for England, to bring Wales 14 match winning run to an end and stop them going top of the World Rankings...

Will be tougher next week at their gaff. Not mamy matches left prior to tourney, now.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Rugby World Cup (RWC 19)

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:52 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:56 pm
Good warmup win for England, to bring Wales 14 match winning run to an end and stop them going top of the World Rankings...

Will be tougher next week at their gaff. Not mamy matches left prior to tourney, now.
Just finished watching an hour of highlights. Good game and the Welsh are never beaten till they leave the field. We played well, but passion is their bye-word and, as you say, will be tougher in their backyard. Good fighting performance by our lads though, and Billy Vinipola was tremendous.

Where's Own Farrell by the way?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:22 pm

Farrell was rested ratherthsn left out, think Jones wanted to see some other players before he names his cup squad tomorrow.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:06 pm

45 mins of Wales v England before kick off at Tranmere. Keeping an eye on Smith v England at cricket too. Ah, this sporting life... :mrgreen:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:10 pm

Aye. Looks like we'll have to bring Jofra on in the rugby too.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:26 pm

I've seen better games, but very good performance from the taffs. They got the rub of the green on a couple of big calls, but no real complaints, not enough from us to open them up.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:07 pm

Even my limited knowldedge of the finer points of the game gets frustrated at the number of penalties we give away and our less than 100% usage of lineouts. We played better second half, but the damage was done and Wales weren't ever going to lose in daffodil land. Frustrating though, we could have won it with a bit more discipline. I'll listen to your views if you'll give them to clarify things?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:42 pm

I've seen us worse at giving away penalties. Today we conceded 12 to Wales 11, so I didn't really have it down as an indisciplined performance. In the final analysis there was just a try + con between the two teams. On another day, Watson doesn't get 10 minutes, so them taking quick pen is spotted as we're not waiting for Watson to go off. I had today's loss down to fine margins.

Where I have been disappointed in our last two losses in Cardiff is in our inability to diversify our game plan when it's not working. Against poor defence, we steamroller through. Against solid defence we still seem to want to steamroller through and don't seem to have much of a plan B to spread it wide, kick to box or try other alternatives when it's not working. But it was a one score loss with two fairly evenly matched teams.

Not sure of the question re: lineouts

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:38 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:42 pm
I've seen us worse at giving away penalties. Today we conceded 12 to Wales 11, so I didn't really have it down as an indisciplined performance. In the final analysis there was just a try + con between the two teams. On another day, Watson doesn't get 10 minutes, so them taking quick pen is spotted as we're not waiting for Watson to go off. I had today's loss down to fine margins.

Where I have been disappointed in our last two losses in Cardiff is in our inability to diversify our game plan when it's not working. Against poor defence, we steamroller through. Against solid defence we still seem to want to steamroller through and don't seem to have much of a plan B to spread it wide, kick to box or try other alternatives when it's not working. But it was a one score loss with two fairly evenly matched teams.

Not sure of the question re: lineouts
It's just that they (Wales) always seem to win theirs and we are a bit less certain. May be just my imagination and, as I admitted, there are some finer points I haven't the experience to judge on. I was, knowing how many tries Wales score via the wings, a bit surprised to see how many times we left that area unguarded (hence the try). We seem to do the same with teams that break fast and play a wide passing game, like France for instance. The rest I pretty much agree with

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:30 am

Our lineout has looked shaky for a while, I think for a couple of reasons. First is the hooker, probably not quite at the top in the throwing in stakes. Jamie George can be quite scary. Second thing, I think, is that they try to be "too perfect" sometimes even with lifting being allowed these days, it's going to come under pressure and occasionally you have to tap back rather than catch. We seem to have tried to remove the tap back as too high risk so when under pressure we miss the catch.

Today, thought we did ok losing 1/12, but Wales hit all 15 of theirs...

Certainly an area to keep working on.

Think most teams struggle with width of play, without trying to make it sound like a complaint, think our lot thought Ref would pull Wales back from the one they scored off as Watdon was still lesving field of play. There were two for England later in the match that got pulled back..my grumble today wasn't that we didn't cope with their width, rather that we didn't create much of our own. We seem to be becoming over obsessive with narrow and steamroller (even when we're passing down the line it's usually for the purpose of hitting a tank of a forward stood in midfield somewhere).

If we're to mount any sort of challenge we're likely to need to be able to mix up and adapt approach in a match. We're not doing that so much recently as we've seen when plan A has come under pressure in 6 Nations. We've seen those same players play to a different plan, so we know they can, but they don't seem capable of knowing that they need to. If you look at Scotland match, Scots were getting battered, so they changed plan, we didn't try and change our plan until they'd battered us back and it nearly cost us the match.

Don't see us being good enough to win World Cup because of these things, but we have a very capable, strength in depth squad.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:17 am

Be reet. ;)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:03 am

National Rugby..England v Ireland....not on terrestial T.V. Great....( I could have watched it and followed the Whites and cricket commentaries..Boooooo

p.s. Shouldn't have aired this in front of the wife, she says it's a lovely days for gardening... :(

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:29 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:03 am
National Rugby..England v Ireland....not on terrestial T.V. Great....( I could have watched it and followed the Whites and cricket commentaries..Boooooo

p.s. Shouldn't have aired this in front of the wife, she says it's a lovely days for gardening... :(
Tell the missus to go and do some then. Will give you some P&Q to watch/listen to the sport.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:01 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:29 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:03 am

Tell the missus to go and do some then. Will give you some P&Q to watch/listen to the sport.
Ha,ha. At 75 and on a walking stick waiting a hip-op, not quite the best idea..Meanwhile, I'm beginning to get an idea as to how Sherpa Tensing must have felt; mountains to climb everywhere..Ah well, on with it... :oyea:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:24 pm

Convincing display by England, but Ireland seem to have gone off the boil.

Hey, Worthy, what's happened with Mike Brown, a player I really liked. Is he out of favour or something?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:52 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:24 pm
Convincing display by England, but Ireland seem to have gone off the boil.

Hey, Worthy, what's happened with Mike Brown, a player I really liked. Is he out of favour or something?
Yes, he's out of favour. There was some sort of training ground incident between he and T'eo. But Jones has had Daley in at FB for a while now as a preference as he thinks Daley offers more going forwards.

England we dominant today but need to temper that a little with the fact it was Irelands first warm up.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:59 am

I know it’s a different sport but I can’t be arsed starting a new thread. I went to Wembley yesterday. First time since Stoke and it was just as bad. Turning up there as favourites and throwing in the most abject performance for years. I’m a proper miserable bugger now.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:04 am

jimbo wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:59 am
I know it’s a different sport but I can’t be arsed starting a new thread. I went to Wembley yesterday. First time since Stoke and it was just as bad. Turning up there as favourites and throwing in the most abject performance for years. I’m a proper miserable bugger now.
Quite the turn up. But don't you be parading on here without wing-forwards.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:38 pm

What an absolute ding-dong of a game between the Boks and the Kiwis. Kiwis won in the end and look an awesomely powerful side. Super entertainment. Japanese put on a great opening show yesterday too and whacked the Russians. All off to a flying start for tomorrow... :oyea:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:59 pm

Anybody who really knows rugby prepared to comment on England's 35-3 win over Tonga? My limited knowledge of the game can't compete with folk brought up with the sport (which I think you must be to truly understand it) I know a lot more than I once did and rarely miss England games on T.V (which sort of confuses thing further when you start asking questions) but not enough to give expert opinion. Tonga were a team of muscle warriors (but they only got in our 22 once in the game) who fought for everything, but our lads (errors apart) seemed to play quite well. I'll happily listen to ( and hopefully learn from) other opinions? Any takers....?