Top 5 of all time...

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Top 5 of all time...

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:38 am

Tastes change with age.

Plain Tea, Typhoo, .PG (two sugars no milk) hot but I can drink it cold.Cant stand coffee now.
Robinson's juice.(mainly orange.) We have good cold water.
Still flavoured water.

Others: Dandelion and Burdock, Ginger Beer.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:04 am

Tea - any as long as it's an English blend, English Breakfast, can stand the spoon up in it, and not one from them shite ones on holiday from Lipton's for the US market, which demonstrate that America is a backwards nation. (Although in the absence of anything better it gotta be done).

Tea - English Breakfast decaf - for the afternoon. Stand the spoon up in it, but without much downside. Otherwise the jitters will set in.

Coffee, filtered. - a fine staple and alternative to tea. Adds to the afternoon decaf requirement.

Running out now...So.

Hard Seltzer. It's water, right? It just has flavouring and vodka, but it's clearly water...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:31 pm

Tea. Terracotta in colour, no sugar.
Soda and lime. My go-to non-alcoholic drink on licensed premises.
Skimmed milk - I invented it 😁 (long story).
Good cordial (Belvoir, Bottle Green, 'some' Robinson's (cucumber and mint etc)) with fridge-cold sparkling mineral water (my drink at home)

Then, at the risk of getting told off I need to split no. 5;

Summer;

San Pellegrino Aranciata / Aranciata Rossa (Orange / Blood Orange).

Winter;

Hot Vimto
May the bridges I burn light your way

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:16 am

Coffee, proper decent beans, freshly ground. Cafetiere.
Pepsi max. Its shit but I like it.
Belvoir ginger & lime
Fresh squeezed orange juice. Can be substituted with Cawston press apple ginger
Pukka turmeric active

Beer sits above all of that.,but figured this was a non alco affair. I try to consume lots of ginger and turmeric as I have a bit of arthritis in the hands and I find it helps.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:15 pm

Top 5 Olympic sports you’ve enjoyed watching?

1. Athletics
2. Swimming
3. Gymnastics
4. Diving
5. Can’t decide between canoeing, trampolining and the hockey…

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:43 pm

Anything with a Union Jack involved and we're in with a chance of a medal and beating America. Can't watch table tennis, volleyball, water polo and synchronised stuff etc.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:29 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:15 pm

1. Athletics
2. Swimming
3. Gymnastics
4. Diving
1) Cycling
2) Diving
3) Running
4) Throwing
5) Jumping

I don’t think you can beat track cycling for an Olympic spectator sport. Superb. We are quite good at it. The Madison yesterday despite being a bit confusing is a brilliant watch.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:36 pm

1 Cycling - Road racing
2 Running - all of it
3 Cycling - Indoor
4 Jumping - both triple and high.
5 Vaulting

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:20 pm

Fantastic that we won gold in both men's and Women's Modern Pentathlon. Great finish at the end of both. Brilliant, as was the mixed triathlon with Jonathon Brownlee.
Although I don't understand all the marking rules, I love the cycling and sailing/rowing.. A bit sad that we're no longer champs at both, but great effort by all in the whole games. I've thoroughly enjoyed it all.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:57 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:15 pm

1. Athletics
2. Swimming
3. Gymnastics
4. Diving
Didn’t get to see as much as I would have liked to live or as live. Stupidly checked headlines first thing in the morning. But for the record;

1. Indoor Cycling
2. Athletics
3. Swimming
4. Triathlon
5. Skateboarding

Surprised myself with the latter. Dismissed it out of hand before the games, but huge amounts of skill involved. Not sure that breakdancing, the latest addition for Paris will be as exciting. Wtf?!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:40 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:36 pm
1 Cycling - Road racing
2 Running - all of it
3 Cycling - Indoor
5 Vaulting
Number 4, good choices. If we can break down athletics into individual events then triple and high would be my numbers 1 and 2.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:27 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:40 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
1 Cycling - Road racing
2 Running - all of it
3 Cycling - Indoor
5 Vaulting
Number 4, good choices. If we can break down athletics into individual events then triple and high would be my numbers 1 and 2.

Pole vault for me as I know the mother of an Olympic bronze medallist. 😎

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:23 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
1 Cycling - Road racing
2 Running - all of it
3 Cycling - Indoor
5 Vaulting
You can and should break down athletics. First any track is more interesting than field in my view. Second, field events than include jumping are more interesting than those that involve throwing unwieldy objects short distances (though with the javelin there is always the chance of transfixing an official). Track and field hybrid events - decathlon and heptathlon - are interesting even the field aspects.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:31 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
1 Cycling - Road racing
2 Running - all of it
3 Cycling - Indoor
5 Vaulting
I watched Rojas the Venezuelan in the triple jump in utter disbelief. Absolutely incredible. I was actually gutted for her when her third attempt was disqualified. Really never seen anything quite like it.

Quick question though - what's your opinion on the two guys 'sharing' gold in the high jump?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:49 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:31 am

Quick question though - what's your opinion on the two guys 'sharing' gold in the high jump?
Field sports ins't my favourite pat of athletics, but sounds okay to me as long a they were both happy with it..and they both got medals of course. They finished tied, so seems the logical course.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:07 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
1 Cycling - Road racing
2 Running - all of it
3 Cycling - Indoor
5 Vaulting
I watched Rojas the Venezuelan in the triple jump in utter disbelief. Absolutely incredible. I was actually gutted for her when her third attempt was disqualified. Really never seen anything quite like it.

Rojas was unbelievable. I thought she'd cocked up her final one as her skip barely left the floor, shows what I know. Phenomenal.

One thing the IOC needs to properly look at is the women's track world records. They're almost all dirty. Think that nothing under the 1500m has been broken since the 80s when drugs were rife (in men's and women's but they seem to have less of a relative impact on men and so those records have still gone).

Didn't like the high jump thing at all. That's not sportsmanship, you're competing. Don't mind it in e.g. the boxing where the rules provide for a shared bronze, but there was provision for them to keep going. It's a fecking competition!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:42 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:49 am

Field sports ins't my favourite pat of athletics, but sounds okay to me as long a they were both happy with it..and they both got medals of course. They finished tied, so seems the logical course.
Prufrock wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:07 am

Didn't like the high jump thing at all. That's not sportsmanship, you're competing. Don't mind it in e.g. the boxing where the rules provide for a shared bronze, but there was provision for them to keep going. It's a fecking competition!
See, I understand Tango's point perfectly in that if neither of them could clear the bar at the height it was at then there was little point in carrying on, however, for me, I'm with Prufrock all the way on this one.

Surely some sort of 'jump off' needed to come into play whereby they lower the bar and go again until one outjumps the other (presumably the stronger/fitter/more agile of the two).

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I'm still well in favour of the kid who comes first in the egg and spoon race winning sweets, and the kid who comes second going home with a lesson learned.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:02 pm

I think there's a balance with kids in that you want to keep them interested don't want them falling out of love with sports because the same kids get all the glory. But I reckon that probably wants knocking on the head some way before the Olympic final.

I'm pretty sure there was in theory supposed to be a jump-off but they asked if they could share it. "No". Not unless you draw that anyway.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:26 pm

Just a word on the ariel antics of skateboarding and B.M.X riding. I found it hard to believe they were Olympic sports when I first heard they were in there, but wow, what skill and nerve are needed for both, and the kids so young. By the end I was full of praise for both and highly entertained in the bargain... :pray:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:18 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
1 Cycling - Road racing
2 Running - all of it
3 Cycling - Indoor
5 Vaulting

I’m actually ok with it. It’s far more common in high jump for people to tie position then it is in any other field event, other then maybe pole vault, even with count back. I’ve drawn several times when competing and points have been shared. I will admit that the Sussex masters league is perhaps a different ball game to an Olympic final :wink: but if they were both happy with it then why not? Yes, there was provision for a jump off but at the end of the day if two friends, both having had nasty injuries and could barely be separated decide they would like to share then I think that says something more to kids about what sport is about. Yes, winning is important in life but friendship, sportsmanship, sharing etc are important to. I’m sure it will stick in many people’s minds. Would be a bit lame if it happened all the time but it doesn’t. It’s a once off rare event.