Top 5 of all time...

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38968
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Top 5 of all time...

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:15 pm

Copied over from "What are you watching tonight?"thread.
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:55 am
Gooner Girl wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:57 pm
Perhaps the next top 5 category for me (and Tango) should be period dramas. Currently enjoying Poldark here.
You'd be amazed at how little T.V I actually watch these days G.G. I got fed up with Silent Witness way back, and Line of Duty is about all I watch in series. Last night I watched Jane Austen's "Emma" on film and I'd just as soon re-read all J.A's novels as watch rubbish on the box. In order of those, if serialised to the books: Persuasion, Emma, Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Mansfield Park and Northanger Abbey would be my choice order..I never get fed up of them and could probably go on Mastermind on the topic.
Film producers take liberties for the sake of widening audiences, but utter nonsense efforts like Pride and Prejudice and Vampires get short shrift from me as do modern interpretations like Brigette Jones and co. Not for me. There's plenty classic literature about, but it wouldn't do for us all to have the same taste, would it? . :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7883
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: Top 5 of all time...

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:12 pm

Let’s have some more top 5’s?!

Best sports?! (Can be to watch or participate in)

1. Well, football, obviously.

2. Athletics. Enjoy both watching and competing (in the field part!)

3. Gymnastics - what some of them can do is awe inspiring.

4. Swimming. Not so much to watch - I prefer diving, but I do love being in the water (when it’s warm!)

5. Can’t decide between netball and rounders. Both good fun to play.

User avatar
Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8716
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:27 pm
Location: Skye high

Re: Top 5 of all time...

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:16 pm

1. Basketball - to play
2. Football - watch and play
3. Cricket - watch and play
4. Softball - to play. Social Work league, beer
5. Arrears - sport in a pub. What's not to like :pissed:

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7900
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: Top 5 of all time...

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:43 pm

1. Footy. Watching and playing
2. Fell running. Doing
3. Athletics. Watching
4 Boxing. Definitely watching
5. Not sure whether to opt for tennis, rugby or ice hockey, all of which were a decent watch but a long way behind the rest of my list.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7883
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: Top 5 of all time...

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:46 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:43 pm
1. Footy. Watching and playing
2. Fell running. Doing
3. Athletics. Watching
4 Boxing. Definitely watching
5. Not sure whether to opt for tennis, rugby or ice hockey, all of which were a decent watch but a long way behind the rest of my list.
Never quite understood why hitting someone is considered a ‘sport’, but then we could also debate snooker, darts, motor racing and show jumping as others in those are they/aren’t they categories. I suppose at least boxing you have to be very physically fit for!!

User avatar
Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8716
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:27 pm
Location: Skye high

Re: Top 5 of all time...

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:01 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:46 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:43 pm
1. Footy. Watching and playing
2. Fell running. Doing
3. Athletics. Watching
4 Boxing. Definitely watching
5. Not sure whether to opt for tennis, rugby or ice hockey, all of which were a decent watch but a long way behind the rest of my list.
Never quite understood why hitting someone is considered a ‘sport’, but then we could also debate snooker, darts, motor racing and show jumping as others in those are they/aren’t they categories. I suppose at least boxing you have to be very physically fit for!!
You have to be fit for arrers. Try playing for 4 or 5 hours and see how your arm is the next day :wink: It also takes huge amounts of concentration to keep standards up for hours on end :)

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3330
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:14 pm
Location: Bury

Re: Top 5 of all time...

Post by Burnden Paddock » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:16 pm

1. Football (watching and formerly playing)
2. Cricket (as above)
3 - 5 vary depending on mood. Tennis/Boxing/Basketball (All to watch)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25207
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Top 5 of all time...

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:31 pm

1) Rugby U (Specifically England) - watch and formerly playing - not for England :-)

2) Cricket (England Test matches) - watch and formerly playing

3) Football (Bolton/England) - watch and formerly playing

4) Golf (Ryder Cup deffo and odd last day of Majors) - watch and formerly playing

5) Bits n bobs after that...Major finals at football if they look interesting, Olympics (covered a few sports with that one :-) ), World Cup etc.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7900
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: Top 5 of all time...

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:13 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:46 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:43 pm
1. Footy. Watching and playing
2. Fell running. Doing
3. Athletics. Watching
4 Boxing. Definitely watching
5. Not sure whether to opt for tennis, rugby or ice hockey, all of which were a decent watch but a long way behind the rest of my list.
Never quite understood why hitting someone is considered a ‘sport’, but then we could also debate snooker, darts, motor racing and show jumping as others in those are they/aren’t they categories. I suppose at least boxing you have to be very physically fit for!!
I never get that argument. Either for boxing or the sports you've mentioned. There's an element of skill in all of them. It's as important in boxing to avoid being hit as well as hitting someone!

You'll not convince me that dressage is a sport though. Might as well have doggy dancing in the Olympics.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7883
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: Top 5 of all time...

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:19 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:13 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:46 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:43 pm
1. Footy. Watching and playing
2. Fell running. Doing
3. Athletics. Watching
4 Boxing. Definitely watching
5. Not sure whether to opt for tennis, rugby or ice hockey, all of which were a decent watch but a long way behind the rest of my list.
Never quite understood why hitting someone is considered a ‘sport’, but then we could also debate snooker, darts, motor racing and show jumping as others in those are they/aren’t they categories. I suppose at least boxing you have to be very physically fit for!!
I never get that argument. Either for boxing or the sports you've mentioned. There's an element of skill in all of them. It's as important in boxing to avoid being hit as well as hitting someone!

You'll not convince me that dressage is a sport though. Might as well have doggy dancing in the Olympics.
There must be an element of skill in dressage else we’d all be experts. How is your horse riding?! It’s included in the olympics which is more then motor racing or snooker are!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7900
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: Top 5 of all time...

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:17 am

^ Well the skill element is true I suppose but that's largely down to the horse. As for why its in the Olympics over doggy dancing, sheep herding or elephants on bicycles, I couldn't tell you.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 36817
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: Top 5 of all time...

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:44 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:46 pm

Never quite understood why hitting someone is considered a ‘sport’, but then we could also debate snooker, darts, motor racing and show jumping as others in those are they/aren’t they categories. I suppose at least boxing you have to be very physically fit for!!
The rule's a simple one. If you need to change your shoes to partake then it's a sport ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7883
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: Top 5 of all time...

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:06 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:44 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:46 pm

Never quite understood why hitting someone is considered a ‘sport’, but then we could also debate snooker, darts, motor racing and show jumping as others in those are they/aren’t they categories. I suppose at least boxing you have to be very physically fit for!!
The rule's a simple one. If you need to change your shoes to partake then it's a sport ;)
Interesting theory given I wear trainers most of the time anyway! :D

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3330
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:14 pm
Location: Bury

Re: Top 5 of all time...

Post by Burnden Paddock » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:07 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:44 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:46 pm

Never quite understood why hitting someone is considered a ‘sport’, but then we could also debate snooker, darts, motor racing and show jumping as others in those are they/aren’t they categories. I suppose at least boxing you have to be very physically fit for!!
The rule's a simple one. If you need to change your shoes to partake then it's a sport ;)
If you have to put your pint down to participate, then it isn’t a sport. 😉

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 27902
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Top 5 of all time...

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:45 am

1) Cricket - its just superior for watching and participating in all round. And I'm really getting into the IPL this time round for some reason.
2) Football - I feel this could now just be 'Bolton Wanderers' and a bit of 5 a side. I watch a bit of other stuff but it would not be number 2 for that.
3) Tennis - Love it. Playing mainly but its a good watch too.
4) Golf - Haven't played in years but its a great sport and the majors and ryder cup are tremendously exciting to watch (for a sport that generally isn't).
5) Struggling for a fifth.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 36817
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: Top 5 of all time...

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:44 am

1: Football, though as my years advance I become less of a football fan per-se; just an ardent Wanderers supporter with a passing interest in the broader game. I've actually cancelled SKY Sports now as MotD is as much as I want to see of the EPL. I haven't a bloody clue as to who half the current England squad are. Regarding playing, I've just been asked if I'd like to join a 'walking football' team :D
2: Cricket. I'm a test match purist. The shorter the format - the less my interest. Still turn out when required for the 2nds.
3: Golf. Love it. Played the Old Links two weeks ago after not swinging a club for the past year and realised just how much I've missed it. Have been to The Masters twice with work. To see those guys play so close up means you get to realise just how little justice television affords the game at the top level.
4: Rugby League. Never played, but the power, pace and skill of these guys is breathtaking.
5: I'm going to have to go with Worthy's catch-all 'The Olympics' here, in that, outside of the obviously captivating track and field, every tournament throws up at least one event which I've never given a moment's thought to previously, yet find myself enthralled with. To date, the list includes (amongst others) Canoeing, Triathlon, Modern Pentathlon, Rowing, Cycling (track and road), even Archery.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7900
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: Top 5 of all time...

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:44 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:44 am
every tournament throws up at least one event which I've never given a moment's thought to previously, yet find myself enthralled with. To date, the list includes (amongst others) Canoeing, Triathlon, Modern Pentathlon, Rowing, Cycling (track and road), even Archery.
True dat. If there's GB athletes doing well in it, so much the better. I can't imagine me ever going out of my way to watch a rowing event but Sydney 2000 when we beat the home favourites in the coxless 4s, I was leaping around the lounge like a mad man.

Handball is another fine spectacle. Its massive in Europe but for some reason has never really made it across the channel.

Alternatively I stayed up watching Tae kwando with that Welsh lass going for Gold. Bloody hell that was dull. Tig with tactics.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38968
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Top 5 of all time...

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:56 pm

Good topic:

Too old to do aught but watch these days. Never played rugby simply because nobody did in our district. Handling the ball was a free kick or penalty. Love watching international rugby union and cricket, was a decent runner and fast bowler as a youth and played football till 31 when I smashed my knee cartilages so badly I never played any sport apart from golf again . Franny Lee, who was a neighbour then, fixed me up to see Man City's physio who advised me pack it it. I did.

No objection to watching international women's football, which I confess I enjoy and can name most of the team.. Wish I'd learned to swim well (I could save my life but that's about it) and ride a horse like my dad (he was batman to Colonel Sandeman (of sherry fame) whilst serving as a full time soldier and rode the colonel's hunter for exercise. On holiday in Ireland he once rode a horse around a field without saddle or bridle. He was also a decent boxer and athlete and a fan of hurling. I did live for three months at a riding school of a relation some years back, and rode a time or two.It was a very big horse which I was assured was gentle, but you can get vertigo that high up... :)

Given a life choice if I could start over again I'd be a combination professional golfer cum ballroom dancer. Yep, that's what I'd be. :mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 27902
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Top 5 of all time...

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:25 pm

I do think the life of a Pro Golfer is pretty amazing. Touring the world playing on amazing courses. I'm sure like any job there are days it drags or you get fed up or whatever, but certainly would be fun. I think that or working for TMS would be the dream.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7883
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: Top 5 of all time...

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:03 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:44 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:44 am
every tournament throws up at least one event which I've never given a moment's thought to previously, yet find myself enthralled with. To date, the list includes (amongst others) Canoeing, Triathlon, Modern Pentathlon, Rowing, Cycling (track and road), even Archery.
True dat. If there's GB athletes doing well in it, so much the better. I can't imagine me ever going out of my way to watch a rowing event but Sydney 2000 when we beat the home favourites in the coxless 4s, I was leaping around the lounge like a mad man.

Handball is another fine spectacle. Its massive in Europe but for some reason has never really made it across the channel.

Alternatively I stayed up watching Tae kwando with that Welsh lass going for Gold. Bloody hell that was dull. Tig with tactics.
:lol: Some games of tag you northerners must have had back in the 70’s!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests