Top 5 of all time...

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Top 5 of all time...

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:08 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:48 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:46 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:43 pm
1. Footy. Watching and playing
2. Fell running. Doing
3. Athletics. Watching
4 Boxing. Definitely watching
5. Not sure whether to opt for tennis, rugby or ice hockey, all of which were a decent watch but a long way behind the rest of my list.
Never quite understood why hitting someone is considered a ‘sport’, but then we could also debate snooker, darts, motor racing and show jumping as others in those are they/aren’t they categories. I suppose at least boxing you have to be very physically fit for!!
GG, you have no idea how physically fit formula 1 drivers have to be. They lose 5 pounds in an hour because of the heat, etc and the G-Forces they pull require tremendous resilience. I might classify snooker and darts as pastimes but..
Lewis Hamilton probably loses 5 lbs an hour with all the effort it must require in so consistently being such a monumental c*nt!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:34 pm

Pru's top 5 covers has had me scratching my head;

Crying - KD Lang
Teardrops- Newton Faulkner
Wild horses - Miley Cyrus
While my guitar gently weeps - Tom Petty, Jeff Lynne, Prince etc
You're the one that I want - Beautiful South
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:41 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:08 pm
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:48 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:46 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:43 pm
1. Footy. Watching and playing
2. Fell running. Doing
3. Athletics. Watching
4 Boxing. Definitely watching
5. Not sure whether to opt for tennis, rugby or ice hockey, all of which were a decent watch but a long way behind the rest of my list.
Never quite understood why hitting someone is considered a ‘sport’, but then we could also debate snooker, darts, motor racing and show jumping as others in those are they/aren’t they categories. I suppose at least boxing you have to be very physically fit for!!
GG, you have no idea how physically fit formula 1 drivers have to be. They lose 5 pounds in an hour because of the heat, etc and the G-Forces they pull require tremendous resilience. I might classify snooker and darts as pastimes but..
Lewis Hamilton probably loses 5 lbs an hour with all the effort it must require in so consistently being such a monumental c*nt!
Couldn't disagree more, Bruce.

I've always considered him to have managed that effortlessly.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun May 09, 2021 7:59 pm

How about this for a top 5 after yesterday for you lot. Where does it rank?

Top 5 footballing moments

(Could be games you’ve been at, or not, promotions, trophies or just a cracking win against a side you hate.)

I will be thinking on mine. Needless to say it will not include any moments from this current season as an Arsenal fan... 😬 Although relegating BSA in 45 minutes would be pretty sweet. Sorry!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun May 09, 2021 8:28 pm

Best 5 football moments:
Seeing Nat Lofthouse hoist the F.A.C.up on Bolton Town Hall steps in 1958. I was there.
Anything Marcelo Viera of Brazil does. Best left back in the world.
Frank Worthington's solo wonder goal.
Jay Jay Okocha's rocket free kick against "Aston Villa"?
Johan Elmander's goal against Wolves.

There are so many more...
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun May 09, 2021 8:56 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 8:28 pm
Best 5 football moments:
Seeing Nat Lofthouse hoist the F.A.C.up on Bolton Town Hall steps in 1958. I was there.

That must have been a very special moment.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun May 09, 2021 9:25 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 8:56 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 8:28 pm
Best 5 football moments:

That must have been a very special moment.
It was indeed G.G., priceless..

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 10, 2021 9:53 am

Football moments are hard to define - is that singular 'instances in games' or whole games themselves or broader periods of time?

I'll just go with a mixture...

So....

1) 1990 world cup. This was the thing that absolutely cemented in my mind as a youngish person that football was everything. The greatest. I'd been watching Bolton a while and been to Wembley etc but I'd not say I was football mad. Like most there are points in your life you could easily drift away from it. Or whatever. This tournament I'd say completely saved my football soul. To this day its still incredibly emotional watching any of it. The memories are still very very raw.
2) 1996 England beat Spain on penalties at Wembley. I was there. It was absolutely amazing though in fairness Spain were the better side. But seeing England win on penalties, Stuart Pearce score one and the emotion of the occasion was truly special. The last tournament before international football was totally ruined by the money and priorities at the top of the game for me.
3) 1989 Sherpa Van Trophy final - 90 cemented my lifelong addiction but this game also played a significant part. The contrast to a few years before after being battered by Bristol City was great and there was the feeling Bolton were onto something after recovering from the bottom tier. Wasn't living in the area at the time but still you could feel the start of something growing.
4) 1995 play off final - 2-0 down, Mcateer fouls their wing back in the box - penalty and surely curtains? No up steps Branagan who saves the penalty just before half time and everyone in the ground knew what was going to happen from there....
5) You have to put Big Sam's time here but that's a bit broad for a moment. So I'll go with a broad but not that broad period of time in 2003 when we stayed up at West Ham's expense. The season had started badly. In the first 25 games we lost 12 times and won only 4 games new singings in Okocha and Campo etc exciting names had failed to really come off and Ricketts our top scorer decided to go to Middlesbrough in January . Then came the run in final 13 games we only lost twice away to Liverpool and Chelsea we won 6 and drew against Man U and famously Arsenal causing awful bad loser and whinger Wenger to have a fit on the side of the pitch as the gormless Keown scored in his own net to effectively end their title bid. We played in this period the best football, the most electric football I've seen a Bolton side produce. Okocha was inspirational. At the end we relegated West Ham which was of course another amazing bonus.
6) I'm going to have to add another for the greatest 'singular' moment I've witnessed watching the whites and that has to be.....2 moments so special and magic I cannot split them....a) 86th minute 1995....Bolton trail 2-1 to Reading....time running out....Reading on the attack...it breaks down and Stubbs strides out with the ball....magestically....feeds Thommo....slide rule pass splits the defence as DeFreitas shrugs the defender off...he's in on goal.....but the massive Hislop bears down on him.....one touch and slots it into the corner and the place goes absolutely wild with relief....b) 2-2 against Nottingham Forest - 87th minute as Wheater has ignited hope where everyone seemingly was resigned to a wretched relegation - Le Fondre in down the channel....and...Wilbraham....place goes bonkers....

You can't bottle these feelings. If you could....

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 10, 2021 11:05 am

1) I'm with Insano on this one. Italia 90. Just for the raw emotion and everything surrounding it, culminating in the Semi-Final defeat to Germany. Absolute deflation.
2) Being (very quiet and unobtrusive) in the Stretford End in 1979 to watch the Super Whites and Frankie the King, win 2-1 with added value missed penalty re-take for the DMB's
3) Bolton 0 - Fulham 0. 1978. We'd already been promoted at the Dingles, the week before after two years of 4th place in the then Second Division. Game didn't matter, just 90 minutes of joyous, later to be hoarse, singing before the inevitable pitch invasion. Culmination of years of nearly.
4) The Reading come-back. Wasn't even at the game as I was playing cricket (if memory serves at St Helens). As Captain, everything had gone according to plan, won the toss and we batted first. We were still 2-0 down when I went in to bat, only to return to the hut about 2 balls later after being stumped, just in time to see Coyle score. The rest as they say is history (don't remember the score in the cricket)
5) Finding myself in nets in the Cub's 5-A-Side, after one of the oppo had spotted our Keeper was 2 days too old to play in the Finals. Never a keeper in the memory of man. Final went to penalties, I borrowed the Keeper's gloves off Rimmo and took his sagely advice to pick a side and just dive for it. Saved 2 of the 5. Bliss.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon May 10, 2021 2:13 pm

My top 5 of all time would all be Bolton games. I actually feel sorry for people who don't attach themselves to one particular club and follow them through all the low points because they never get the massive high we all got on Saturday. To stick with the theme though;

1. Czechoslovakia beating West Germany on penalties in the European championship final in 1976. One of my earliest TV football memories. Of course I was rooting for the eventual losers but what a way to win it. Panenkas name still being used for such penalties nearly 50 years later.

2. England 3-1 Scotland. Finally beating them at Wembley when it was always about the Scots big party. My first non Bolton hero, Kevin Keegan scoring a delightful winner.

3. Spain 82. The first world Cup I watched from start to finish. England's great start, Hungary scoring 10, Argentina knocked out, the Brazil Italy and France West Germany games. Magic.

4. Boca Jnrs 2-1 Huracan. On holiday in Argentina, I was determined to get to see at least 1 game here. A great atmosphere and experience.

5. Wigan 0-1 Bolton. I'm going to compress all my Bolton highlights into this 1 game. After watching a great side as a kid, all I'd known throughout my adolescence was a poor Wanderers side getting worse with no big matches to ever speak of. This was the first 'must win' I ever went to. 1st leg of the SVT northern final. You only ever got to Wembley in those days if you reached a major cup final, so when that carrot was dangled for this competition, interest soared as we got closer. Check out the footage on YouTube of Caldwell's last minute winner. Absolute limbs! In there is a 17 year old Genshaw going berserk with everyone else!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon May 10, 2021 3:59 pm

I’m not going to put England games down, as whilst the 96 euros are vivid in my memory and the 90 World Cup was when I first started collecting football stickers, I just can’t bring myself to get as excited over England as I can Arsenal so, in no particular order as I really can’t decide...

1. Win against Spurs in the league 96/97. Wengers first ever NLD, a rainy Sunday afternoon in November. Watched in the home end at Highbury with a super gloaty, annoying Spurs supporting mate. We won 3-1 with 2 cracking goals in the last 2 minutes of the game from Bergkamp and Adams and the crowd and the players just went absolutely mental. It sticks with me as summed up what football was all about. Such a massive buzz! I watch the highlights to this day and still get goosebumps.

2. 98 and 02 double winning seasons - need I say anymore? Can’t pick between them.

3. 2004 Invincibles. Again, no explanation needed

4. 93/94 ECWC winners! My most favourite cup run as a 13 year old Arsenal obsessive. (Less said about the season after and Nayim the better, that would have to feature in ‘footballing moments that have made me cry, along with Paul Merson being sold to Middlesborough) 😭

5. Another moment I’ve banged on about on here before but does it get any better then your son being mascot at Arsene Wengers last ever home game?! No. And we beat Burnley 5-0 too.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon May 10, 2021 6:54 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 11:05 am
1) I'm with Insano on this one. Italia 90. Just for the raw emotion and everything surrounding it, culminating in the Semi-Final defeat to Germany. Absolute deflation.
2) Being (very quiet and unobtrusive) in the Stretford End in 1979 to watch the Super Whites and Frankie the King, win 2-1 with added value missed penalty re-take for the DMB's
3) Bolton 0 - Fulham 0. 1978. We'd already been promoted at the Dingles, the week before after two years of 4th place in the then Second Division. Game didn't matter, just 90 minutes of joyous, later to be hoarse, singing before the inevitable pitch invasion. Culmination of years of nearly.
4) The Reading come-back. Wasn't even at the game as I was playing cricket (if memory serves at St Helens). As Captain, everything had gone according to plan, won the toss and we batted first. We were still 2-0 down when I went in to bat, only to return to the hut about 2 balls later after being stumped, just in time to see Coyle score. The rest as they say is history (don't remember the score in the cricket)
5) Finding myself in nets in the Cub's 5-A-Side, after one of the oppo had spotted our Keeper was 2 days too old to play in the Finals. Never a keeper in the memory of man. Final went to penalties, I borrowed the Keeper's gloves off Rimmo and took his sagely advice to pick a side and just dive for it. Saved 2 of the 5. Bliss.
When I first read no 5 I thought you meant as an adult! Was that the highlight of your playing career?!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 10, 2021 7:15 pm

That was when I was 10 :-) Probably one of the highlights. Only played pub cloggers. My games were Cricket and Rugby. :-)

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Mon May 10, 2021 8:11 pm

Going to have to split this between BWFC and ‘others’.

BWFC

1. Reading play off final - 2-0 down and a penalty awarded against us before half time. Branagan saved the pen and we just seemed to know it was the turning point. We left it late to get back into it, but what a last 15 mins of normal time and 30 mins of ET. We got stronger and stronger as the game wore on and they wilted after a brilliant start. Absolutely amazing feeling at the final whistle.

2. Saturdays promotion. After having written off our chance of us going up and staring down the barrel of another defeat at Mansfield, we finally saw some character with 3 goals in the last 11 mins. Here was our turning point and we barely looked back from there. A few blips on the way and loads of nerves on Saturday, but what a performance! I really didn’t think we had that in us, but when it really mattered, we did. Magnificent! So much better than our promotion from L1.

3. Hull away on THAT Friday night! 1 down with 10 men and coming back to win 2-1 with pitch invasions galore! A second away win in a week and suddenly we believed we were going up!

4. All of the ‘White Hot’ games. FA Cup victories against Liverpool, Everton and Arsenal. All of them away, after drawing at home. I never thought I’d see the day when we went away to Liverpool and played them off the park and saw our players applauded off the pitch! Then we went and did it to the other two!

5. Bayern Munich - Travelling to one of the all time great European giants, seeing us hold our own and hold them to a draw with far from our strongest side! Celebrated our opener and then stood laughing at how ridiculous it was that we were beating Bayern Munich!

Non-BWFC

1. For sheer importance of games that I’ve attended, it has to be - Liverpool 0 Arsenal 2 in May 1989. We all know the story! I felt so lucky to be there and was just sorry I couldn’t openly laugh at all of the crying scousers surrounding us!

2. 1990 World Cup - Tremendous tournament. The first one I’d watched in the pub with mates, which made it all the better. Some great games and surprising scorers. I think everyone fell a little bit in (man) love with Toto Schillaci a most unlikely looking goal scoring hero. The semi final is still painful. Seeing Gazza’s tears and the missed pens takes you right back to the moment! I dare you to listen to Nessun Dorma and not be instantly taken back to that summer!

3. Aguerrroooo! - Despite the disappointment of seeing us relegated moments earlier, I couldn’t help but get wrapped up in the last few mins from the Etihad on the telly. Sky cutting to the United game at the final whistle and showing their celebrations as City trailed QPR 2-1. A Dzeko header and then the move which culminated with Balotelli playing Aguero in for the winner and the title. Martin Tyler’s legendary commentary and the cutaway to Fergie and the United players hearing the news. Bloody glorious!

4. Greece winning the Euros with Stelios in the team. Rank outsiders but made their way to the final and beat odds on favourites, Portugal. Seeing Stelios on the pitch with his kids wearing Bolton shirts made it even better as Ronaldo bawled his eyes out!

5. Scotland 1 Peru 3 in the 1978 World Cup. I was only 9 at the time, but fully appreciated that it was a feckin hilarious result.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 10, 2021 8:27 pm

Good shout on the Aguero moment. I was at Stoke that day and as painful as that was I still enjoy watching that City comeback. Drama on a scale you rarely see.

In fact I’d say best sporting drama I’ve witnessed is the cricket World Cup final 2019. Nothing tops that. But after that it’s City’s win. Everything about it felt like a film script that would be thrown out as too far fetched.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon May 10, 2021 9:19 pm

The "impossible" win against Man City.. They absolutely battered us and only Jussi, the "woodwork" and some "300" defending saved them getting a panful. Then David Dunne handed us a penalty and the great Gary Speed obliged A truly memorable win..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj4huEBftNc

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:04 pm

How about top 5 drinks you couldn’t do without?

1. Cup of tea, cure for everything

2. Orange juice. Freshly squeezed, with bits. Hits the spot.

3. Milk. Preferably fresh from being milked from the cow but if supermarket gotta be organic for the animal welfare reasons and semi skimmed.

4. Appletise

5. lemonade.

I realise I’m unusual in that there’s no alcohol in there. I do drink it sometimes but could honestly not drink any the rest of my life and not really mind. I just don’t see what the fuss is about! :conf:

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:38 pm

We’ve already done booze, so I’ll stick to non-alcoholic drinks.

1. Have to agree with a cup of tea. Everything feels better after a brew.

2. Lime & soda

3. Apple juice

4. Orange juice

5. Vimto - Hot or cold

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:13 pm

1. Oh aye. You can't beat a proper brew. Builders and Tetley or Typhoo. Yorkshire can get to feck.

2. Black filtered coffee. Maccys, Greggs or Ugandan, Central American on your own machine.

3. Fresh orange juice with pulp. Perfect first thing.

4. Water - is there any better drinking Water on earth that doesn't come out of the taps of homes in North West England?

5. Pepsi - Full fat. Feck off with your max or diet alternatives. Lots of ice. Ta!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:26 am

1) Cappuccino - not sure there is a finer way to start the morning
2) Americano - perfect afternoon pick me up
3) Freshly squeezed orange juice - proper freshly squeezed is an absolute joy and a world apart from the abomination supermarkets try and sell you
4) Vimto - just superb
5) Pepsi - Agree with the above full fat and with ice and lemon. Nowt better. It’s better than Coca Cola too.

I’ve slowly over the years replaced my tea consumption with coffee much to my doctors frustration!