School days...

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Re: School days...

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu May 06, 2021 9:35 am

Blimey Bruce/AT! What sort of schools did you go to?!

Though I checked and caning was only outlawed in private schools as late as ‘98! (Earlier in state schools)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu May 06, 2021 9:42 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 9:35 am

Though I checked and caning was only outlawed in private schools as late as ‘98! (Earlier in state schools)
Fairly common form for schools around that time. At ours, they did the cane, slipper etc. Threw wooden board rubbers at your head. One teacher used to just knuckle you in the head to get you to keep quiet. Minor infractions would see you stood the entire lesson in the corner facing the wall - that usually bought a decision as to whether to push it up to a major infraction and a caning, just to get it out of the way. Dangling off wall-bars in the gym. Rugby training, you didn't want to be last in the "round the pitch" running, that just got you extra laps...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu May 06, 2021 10:31 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 9:42 am

Fairly common form for schools around that time. At ours, they did the cane, slipper etc. Threw wooden board rubbers at your head. One teacher used to just knuckle you in the head to get you to keep quiet. Minor infractions would see you stood the entire lesson in the corner facing the wall - that usually bought a decision as to whether to push it up to a major infraction and a caning, just to get it out of the way. Dangling off wall-bars in the gym. Rugby training, you didn't want to be last in the "round the pitch" running, that just got you extra laps...
^^
All this plus lines etc. A couple of teachers were really sadistic in their use of the cane and one got fired for being a bit too fond of putting girls over his knee for smacking.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu May 06, 2021 10:36 am

Thornleigh was a bastion for some sadistic bastards. I once saw my art teacher hit a lad with the back of his hand so hard he knocked him to the floor.

I had the cane twice but no end of twisted ears (explains a lot), cuffs round the head and blackboard dusters bounced off my bonce.....

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Thu May 06, 2021 11:18 am

Our PE teacher used to have a couple of bad behaviour stoppers: one was to make you kneel on the all weather pitch for 15 minutes (so the little stones pushed into your knees (very painful), and another favourite of his was to swing his whistle round on its lanyard thing and then crack you on the top of the head with it when at full momentum!!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu May 06, 2021 12:54 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:

The cane? Luxury :D

For the heinous crime of getting a chemical symbol incorrect, one of my classmates was beaten so severely with a wooden metre rule by our chemistry teacher that it snapped in half. Undeterred, he continued to stab him with the part which remained in his hand as our mate pleaded with him through tears to stop.

For having held an aluminium javelin at an angle not precisely perpendicular to the floor, yours truly was made to bend over and be whacked with said javelin across the arse. Some of my class mates still remember to this day the mark it left (which actually scabbed over) across my backside which was there for two weeks. I honestly sat in pain for two weeks.

Basically, and others have already pointed out, there wasn't anything off limits if it could be used to visit pain upon us for the slightest of indiscretions - board dusters, gym shoes (often placed in teachers' desk drawers for the next user), weighty text books, anything.

And of course, we all must've done something to deserve it. :roll:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu May 06, 2021 1:36 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 12:54 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:

The cane? Luxury :D

For the heinous crime of getting a chemical symbol incorrect, one of my classmates was beaten so severely with a wooden metre rule by our chemistry teacher that it snapped in half. Undeterred, he continued to stab him with the part which remained in his hand as our mate pleaded with him through tears to stop.

For having held an aluminium javelin at an angle not precisely perpendicular to the floor, yours truly was made to bend over and be whacked with said javelin across the arse. Some of my class mates still remember to this day the mark it left (which actually scabbed over) across my backside which was there for two weeks. I honestly sat in pain for two weeks.

Basically, and others have already pointed out, there wasn't anything off limits if it could be used to visit pain upon us for the slightest of indiscretions - board dusters, gym shoes (often placed in teachers' desk drawers for the next user), weighty text books, anything.

And of course, we all must've done something to deserve it. :roll:
Oh now you mention it, I'd almost forgot about cricket bats, cricket stumps, rounders bats and any number of other wooden/metal cuts from woodwork and metalwork.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu May 06, 2021 1:43 pm

I avoided the cane but had a couple of hefty slaps across the face from different teachers. One was so hard, my dad asked me that night if I'd been fighting due to the mark it left on my face.

Looking back, it's the noncery that was left unchecked that I find shocking. We had a French teacher, bloke, probably in his late 40s early 50s then and a real odd ball. He was known for slipping his hands up girls skirts, getting them to pick up pens he'd casually dropped, pulling them onto his knee etc.

All the girls accepted that they had to give him a wide berth and try and stay out of his way. All the other teachers knew of his reputation too. He went too far with one older girl once and she booted him before effing and jeffing at him and making various threats. We all thought she'd get expelled but unsurprisingly, he must have decided against pursuing the matter.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu May 06, 2021 2:31 pm

Good grief. I’m genuinely shocked at how bad your school days were. I’m only a decade or so behind most of you, secondary school in the 1990’s and it was nothing like that! I was a good girl 😇 (mostly) but even so! Can you imagine that now? At the private school I teach at we are almost scared to even tell a kid off for fear they will complain to their parent who will moan at the head! Gone from one extreme to another! :shock:

Did none of your parents complain?!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu May 06, 2021 2:50 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 2:31 pm
I’m only a decade or so behind most of you, secondary school in the 1990’s and it was nothing like that! I was a good girl 😇 (mostly)
A friend of mine is around the same age as you. She was taught by nuns at a convent school. From the stories she's told me about how they were treated I've deduced that although there was clearly plenty of religion there, there mustn't have been an ounce of Christianity.
Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 2:31 pm

Did none of your parents complain?!
Never told them; just kept quiet and carried on. Like I said earlier, certainly amongst our age group, the general parentally held view was that 'you must've done something to deserve it'.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu May 06, 2021 3:25 pm

On schools and religion: I left a Catholic school at 14 , didn't pass the exam for Thornleigh and went to Bolton Tech instead. Silly as it seems now, us Catholics ( about a dozen of us) were told by our Parish priest not to attend morning assembly because they sang different hymns and said different prayers. We had to stand outside in reception till it was over. ( I always loved "Jerusalem" regardless. ) I was an altar boy at the time of leaving St Joseph's, so that was the end of that. To my shame, I sort of went downhill on religion for a while from then on in favour of rock and roll. :oops:

Hey, but I'm back now.. ae:)

:D

p.s.................Quite a few of my mates who did go to Thornleigh were less than complimentary about the bullying teachers who were priests.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 06, 2021 3:30 pm

Can only echo the above. I remember at primary school we were doing PE and all had to line up and complete a vault to the teachers satisfaction before being allowed to play with the other stuff like balls, bean bags etc....I was 8 years old. If you didn't make the vault you had to do it again. I could vault the horse but never ever land properly always stumbling. After my 5th go the female teacher was clearly starting to get a bit annoyed as she wanted to obviously go and sit down and leave us all to it. But I still couldn't vault. Eventually in a rage she full force slapped me across the face that left a lovely red hand mark. The teachers were allowed to slap us though not really round the face and she spent the rest of the day giving me wet paper towels as she was desperate for it to disappear before home time. Always thought it weird that had she slapped me round the legs she could have done it as hard as she wanted and multiple times and nobody would have batted an eye lid.....Headteacher used to wallop boys in the privacy of his offer with his personal table tennis bat - so charming.

Was frowned upon when I was at secondary school so rarely if ever used though I remember teachers picking boys up and throwing them across the room on a regular basis. Science teachers seemed especially angry. We also were in PE made to kneel on the tarmac till whoever stole some football boots confessed. On the plus side it meant we missed the PE lesson.

Sickening really that this stuff went on when you think about it. Horrific that those charged with shaping young minds were so awful.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Thu May 06, 2021 5:41 pm

Bloody hell. I’m around the same age as you lot and the worst we ever had was a thrown board duster and one lad turned upside down and his head placed in the bin. Tbf he deserved it and ended up on heroin, to nobody’s surprise.

Actually, there was a teacher at primary school who prone to using the slipper on a regular basis. He ‘went away’ for a while. Turned out he was sent down for cottaging!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu May 06, 2021 7:29 pm

I once got smacked across the face by a teacher when I was about 8 for daring to point out that a collective break detention because the naughty boy spoke was unfair on those of us who did everything right. I was a right swotty little bugger but was outraged by the injustice. She let everyone else go and tried to statre me down, lashing out when I stared back bristling with righteous indignation. I continued the to stare after the slap and she started crying and sent me outside. Bizarre.
Said nothing at home because like Bruce said, teacher was right and if not then life isn't fair!

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu May 06, 2021 9:23 pm

What everyone else said. I was lucky to have some great teachers, along with the not so great. It was still the era of discipline and it usually involved violence. The sports in PE were typically played at certain times of the year. First term football, second term rugby. So rugby I the snow and rock hard icy pitches. Warm up was leg slaps against someone of similar size, piggy back bull dog and crawl run crawl. Laps at the end and as previously mentioned, you did not finish last even if you'd pulled a hamstring or otherwise injured.

No point complaining at home as more than likely punishment would be doubled as you must have done summat wrong.

I reckon we all turned out alright, if a little grumpy 😁

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Fri May 07, 2021 12:57 pm

Let's not forget PE teachers checking that everyone took a shower afterwards! Bet that doesn't happen nowadays!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 07, 2021 1:31 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 12:57 pm
Let's not forget PE teachers checking that everyone took a shower afterwards! Bet that doesn't happen nowadays!
I always thought that was very odd. They made out like it was a major health issue - a few schoolkids being a bit sweaty for a few hours is not a major issue. So you have to wonder what the real motivation was. Half wondered if it was an order from the local authorities to check if kids were being 'battered' at home or not. Cos whilst I'm sure there were lots of noncey teachers they can't all have been and I've never spoken to anyone my age male or female who didn't have that exact same experience in PE lessons.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri May 07, 2021 3:51 pm

Seems the PE teachers were the worst... (not these days obviously, they are lovely :wink: ).

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri May 07, 2021 5:36 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 1:31 pm
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 12:57 pm
I always thought that was very odd. They made out like it was a major health issue - a few schoolkids being a bit sweaty for a few hours is not a major issue. So you have to wonder what the real motivation was. Half wondered if it was an order from the local authorities to check if kids were being 'battered' at home or not. Cos whilst I'm sure there were lots of noncey teachers they can't all have been and I've never spoken to anyone my age male or female who didn't have that exact same experience in PE lessons.
That was still going on in the early 2000s!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri May 07, 2021 9:16 pm

I was at boarding school in the 1950s for nine months of the year from age 8 to 18. Corporal punishment was common and treatment from bigger, older pupils was worse. I won't recount the things I endured, but when I left school I emigrated to Canada, where accents, received pronunciation and respect for authority were not quite so important.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.