School days...

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

School days...

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon May 03, 2021 8:36 pm

Tomorrow my twins (age 10, year 5 or third year juniors to you older generation!) are off for their school journey/outward bound trip at an outdoor education place 40 min drive away. Sadly not residential as originally planned thanks to Covid which means getting them to school for 6.15am tomorrow so they can make the most of their first of two days there. :zzz: They are besides themselves with excitement (as much about the coach journey and who’s sitting next to who as much as anything) but it’s bringing back vivid memories of my school residential (ironically to the very same place) when I was in year 6 and I have been getting a major nostalgia hit the past few days. Anyone else still got vivid memories of their school days? Happiest days of your life? 🤔

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Re: School days...

Post by Burnden Paddock » Mon May 03, 2021 9:25 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 8:36 pm
Tomorrow my twins (age 10, year 5 or third year juniors to you older generation!) are off for their school journey/outward bound trip at an outdoor education place 40 min drive away. Sadly not residential as originally planned thanks to Covid which means getting them to school for 6.15am tomorrow so they can make the most of their first of two days there. :zzz: They are besides themselves with excitement (as much about the coach journey and who’s sitting next to who as much as anything) but it’s bringing back vivid memories of my school residential (ironically to the very same place) when I was in year 6 and I have been getting a major nostalgia hit the past few days. Anyone else still got vivid memories of their school days? Happiest days of your life? 🤔

Week long school holidays in what’s now Y5 & Y6 to Staithes, a tiny fishing village on the east coast. Day trips to Scarborough, Whitby and Robin Hoods Bay amongst other places. First time away from home in Y5 and I was as homesick as hell. Stayed in old wartime dormitories, with kids from across the country. Hearing all of their strange accents was interesting. First time I’d ever heard someone referred to as a ‘cockney’. Memories of the 1978 World Cup final being shown on the telly in the games room. The other abiding memory is puking all over myself after eating a packet of Parma violets. The thought of them makes me have to this day. Been back a few times when holidaying in Whitby and Scarborough. Love the area, though Mrs BP says it’s boring. 😡

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon May 03, 2021 10:11 pm

A week in Keswick trudging through the rain and mud. Pillow fight bedlam in the evening and lots of speculation over which teacher was shagging which.

Yup, I remember it.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue May 04, 2021 6:45 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:11 pm
A week in Keswick trudging through the rain and mud. Pillow fight bedlam in the evening and lots of speculation over which teacher was shagging which.

Yup, I remember it.
You were speculating that at primary school?! :shock:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue May 04, 2021 6:49 am

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:25 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:

Week long school holidays in what’s now Y5 & Y6 to Staithes, a tiny fishing village on the east coast. Day trips to Scarborough, Whitby and Robin Hoods Bay amongst other places. First time away from home in Y5 and I was as homesick as hell. Stayed in old wartime dormitories, with kids from across the country. Hearing all of their strange accents was interesting. First time I’d ever heard someone referred to as a ‘cockney’. Memories of the 1978 World Cup final being shown on the telly in the games room. The other abiding memory is puking all over myself after eating a packet of Parma violets. The thought of them makes me have to this day. Been back a few times when holidaying in Whitby and Scarborough. Love the area, though Mrs BP says it’s boring. 😡
Parma violet packets are tiny! How could you have over eaten a packet of them?! They’re no fizzers though tbf.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue May 04, 2021 7:32 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 6:45 am
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:11 pm

Yup, I remember it.
You were speculating that at primary school?! :shock:
High school. Furthest primary school got was a day trip to Chester Zoo. It was that long ago I might just be confusing that with a petting zoo or summat :)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue May 04, 2021 11:04 am

Burnden Paddock wrote:

Week long school holidays in what’s now Y5 & Y6 to Staithes, a tiny fishing village on the east coast. Day trips to Scarborough, Whitby and Robin Hoods Bay amongst other places. First time away from home in Y5 and I was as homesick as hell. Stayed in old wartime dormitories... Been back a few times when holidaying in Whitby and Scarborough. Love the area, though Mrs BP says it’s boring. 😡
We did exactly the same in 77. Really fond memories of Staithes and of those same day trips out; and of the inter-dormitory sleeping bag races. Made a point of coming back that way once when I'd been for a meeting up in Redcar and it hadn't changed a bit. What a truly gorgeous part of the world. The majority of England's north east coast is both beautiful and spectacular in equal measure.

My first school trip away was in 76 to Middelkerke in Belgium, just down the coast from Ostend. One of the days out was a trip into Holland to a small town with a miniature village/version of itself in the main park. Fast forward 30+ odd years and I have to go to a meeting with a company based in the beautiful but rather random Dutch town of Middelburg. Driving into the place and I'm overcome with deja-vu. So, my first question to the guys I'm meeting with is - 'I'm pretty sure I've been here before, does your town have a miniature village'? Of course, it did, and when we broke for lunch that's where they took me. The power of one's memory when prompted is a truly incredible thing - I even remembered the very spot on which I ate strawberry ice cream from a waffle cone for the first time ever. On the same school trip we visited Bruges, and likewise, when I first managed to go back there as an adult, 30+ odd years on, the fond memories came flooding back - even down to such detail as 'we ate our packed lunches right there by the canal bridge'.

Middlekerke itself has now been developed beyond recognition and the hotel in which we stayed has been converted into apartments, so the memories were fewer when I took a detour to revisit the place, although I do remember being fed jam and bread rolls for breakfast, which just seemed weird, and Dancing Queen by ABBA being played repeatedly on the hotel jukebox :)

Sadly, whilst we were away, the brother of one of my classmates was knocked off his bike by a motorcyclist and killed, which explained all the glum parental faces as we alighted the coach upon our return. Apparently the teachers had been informed as to what had happened but had been asked not to inform my classmate. What a dreadful load for them to have carried around for days whilst simultaneously trying to entertain holidaying primary school kids.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Tue May 04, 2021 1:58 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 6:49 am
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

Parma violet packets are tiny! How could you have over eaten a packet of them?! They’re no fizzers though tbf.
I didn't over eat parma violets. It was a combination of them and the coach on the windy roads ,which dipped up and down with great frequency, causing me to vomit. The smell was quite something! :wink:

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Tue May 04, 2021 2:04 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:04 am
Burnden Paddock wrote:

Week long school holidays in what’s now Y5 & Y6 to Staithes, a tiny fishing village on the east coast. Day trips to Scarborough, Whitby and Robin Hoods Bay amongst other places. First time away from home in Y5 and I was as homesick as hell. Stayed in old wartime dormitories... Been back a few times when holidaying in Whitby and Scarborough. Love the area, though Mrs BP says it’s boring. 😡
We did exactly the same in 77. Really fond memories of Staithes and of those same day trips out; and of the inter-dormitory sleeping bag races. Made a point of coming back that way once when I'd been for a meeting up in Redcar and it hadn't changed a bit. What a truly gorgeous part of the world. The majority of England's north east coast is both beautiful and spectacular in equal measure.

Love the place. I have every intention of returning at some point, with or without Mrs BP! An away trip to Whitby Town in the FA Cup should do the trick!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue May 04, 2021 2:10 pm

Did the Wye Valley and some place in Wales called Lledr Hall at primary school, a week in each. Austria for 2 summer weeks in high school.

2 things that stood out for me on the Lledr Hall break was 1 lad wetting the bed and still getting the piss taken out of him 20 years later. The other was going to some place or other and hearing this tale about a bloke who had a dog that was fiercely loyal to his owner. 6 or 7 years ago and we were in holiday in Wales and rocked up to the beautiful village of Bedgellert, where I had the same deja vous feelings as Bruce, remembering where I'd been and hearing the legend of the dog in full.

The Austria holiday was noticeable for school hottie, Miss Dekeyne, the leggy blonde PE teacher, sunbathing and causing all manner of stirrings amongst us teenage boys. The other, was the main organiser, an English teacher, getting nicked a fortnight after we got back for dipping into all the kids spending money!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue May 04, 2021 3:21 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 2:04 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:

Love the place. I have every intention of returning at some point, with or without Mrs BP! An away trip to Whitby Town in the FA Cup should do the trick!
And we'll get some proper pre-match fish and chips, unlike those things that still had their skin on at Watford! :shock:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue May 04, 2021 4:04 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 1:58 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

I didn't over eat parma violets. It was a combination of them and the coach on the windy roads ,which dipped up and down with great frequency, causing me to vomit. The smell was quite something! :wink:
So you'd be a fan of that parma violet gin you can get :vomit: :lol:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue May 04, 2021 4:38 pm

Different era for me. What a posh lot you were. School trips started with the kids and worrying yourself silly till they got home. As for my era, A day trip to Old Trafford to see Lancs Play Yorks at cricket, a Saturday meet-up at Lower Pools to watch the West Indies (Ramadin and Valentine etc) and a Day trip down Agecroft Colliery. That was about it. ae:)

:lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Tue May 04, 2021 5:21 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 4:04 pm
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

So you'd be a fan of that parma violet gin you can get :vomit: :lol:
I’m not a fan of gin full stop! 🤮

Actually, I quite like damson gin but that’s about it.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Tue May 04, 2021 5:22 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 3:21 pm
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 2:04 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:

And we'll get some proper pre-match fish and chips, unlike those things that still had their skin on at Watford! :shock:

That’s those weird southerners for you. You know, them lot that don’t like mushy peas or gravy with their chips. :crazy:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue May 04, 2021 6:24 pm

Skin on fish - the dirty bastards. It's always baffled me. Just, why?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue May 04, 2021 7:17 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

As a teacher I’m still scarred for life by a kid that puked on the minibus one away match. There’s always that one kid in every class that’s ‘travel sick’. 🤢

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue May 04, 2021 7:24 pm

I’m impressed by how many trips abroad you lot went on in the 70’s at primary school! I didn’t go on any in primary (the outward bound trip apart) or secondary but did do a GNVQ in leisure and tourism at 6th form college which involved trips. Both in December, both bloody freezing. 🥶 Butlins, Skegness the first year and Disneyland, Paris the second. It’s no tricky guess which trip I preferred freezing my arse off on! Thinking now my kids are older I ought to volunteer myself for a sports tour at the school I work at. Free trip to South Africa or the like 🤔

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue May 04, 2021 7:33 pm

At primary school we went on a school trip to a farm. Not a petting farm, or a visiting farm, just the farm that one of the lads lived at. His mum had the very emergency cups out to give us some orange squash. That's the cows over there.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue May 04, 2021 8:07 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 7:33 pm
At primary school we went on a school trip to a farm. Not a petting farm, or a visiting farm, just the farm that one of the lads lived at. His mum had the very emergency cups out to give us some orange squash. That's the cows over there.
^ My ideal school trip to be fair.

We had a farm at our secondary school. Gave me some of the best memories of my school days. Our tutor group was in the farm classroom and I remember one day the teacher in charge of the farm asked me and my best mate (we helped some days after school) if we wanted to watch a pig farrow. Rest of the class trooped off to their science lesson and we had the best science lesson right there - and the teacher made us a cup of tea. Remember feeling very grown up. Funny what sticks in your head isn’t it?! In years 10 and 11 instead of a GCSE you could choose an NVQ in Agriculture. Milking cows, driving tractors, castrating piglets, making fences, chasing sheep round fields, showing calves at the local agricultural show. Way better then sat in a classroom writing stuff. Happy days. :D