School days...

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Re: School days...

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue May 04, 2021 8:12 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 5:21 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 4:04 pm
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 1:58 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 6:49 am
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:25 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 8:36 pm
Tomorrow my twins (age 10, year 5 or third year juniors to you older generation!) are off for their school journey/outward bound trip at an outdoor education place 40 min drive away. Sadly not residential as originally planned thanks to Covid which means getting them to school for 6.15am tomorrow so they can make the most of their first of two days there. :zzz: They are besides themselves with excitement (as much about the coach journey and who’s sitting next to who as much as anything) but it’s bringing back vivid memories of my school residential (ironically to the very same place) when I was in year 6 and I have been getting a major nostalgia hit the past few days. Anyone else still got vivid memories of their school days? Happiest days of your life? 🤔

Week long school holidays in what’s now Y5 & Y6 to Staithes, a tiny fishing village on the east coast. Day trips to Scarborough, Whitby and Robin Hoods Bay amongst other places. First time away from home in Y5 and I was as homesick as hell. Stayed in old wartime dormitories, with kids from across the country. Hearing all of their strange accents was interesting. First time I’d ever heard someone referred to as a ‘cockney’. Memories of the 1978 World Cup final being shown on the telly in the games room. The other abiding memory is puking all over myself after eating a packet of Parma violets. The thought of them makes me have to this day. Been back a few times when holidaying in Whitby and Scarborough. Love the area, though Mrs BP says it’s boring. 😡
Parma violet packets are tiny! How could you have over eaten a packet of them?! They’re no fizzers though tbf.
I didn't over eat parma violets. It was a combination of them and the coach on the windy roads ,which dipped up and down with great frequency, causing me to vomit. The smell was quite something! :wink:
So you'd be a fan of that parma violet gin you can get :vomit: :lol:
I’m not a fan of gin full stop! 🤮

Actually, I quite like damson gin but that’s about it.
I enjoy a decent gin, but none of the novelty type ones. Current favourite is Downpour from Uist. The owners very generously supplied samples and often drop deliveries over to us on the ferry in person. The gin distilled in my my village is very good too, but no samples. After complaining about this I've made it on to their tasting team for a new range of beers (they were a brewery before starting with the gin) 😁

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Tue May 04, 2021 8:29 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:12 pm
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Tomorrow my twins (age 10, year 5 or third year juniors to you older generation!) are off for their school journey/outward bound trip at an outdoor education place 40 min drive away. Sadly not residential as originally planned thanks to Covid which means getting them to school for 6.15am tomorrow so they can make the most of their first of two days there. :zzz: They are besides themselves with excitement (as much about the coach journey and who’s sitting next to who as much as anything) but it’s bringing back vivid memories of my school residential (ironically to the very same place) when I was in year 6 and I have been getting a major nostalgia hit the past few days. Anyone else still got vivid memories of their school days? Happiest days of your life? 🤔

Week long school holidays in what’s now Y5 & Y6 to Staithes, a tiny fishing village on the east coast. Day trips to Scarborough, Whitby and Robin Hoods Bay amongst other places. First time away from home in Y5 and I was as homesick as hell. Stayed in old wartime dormitories, with kids from across the country. Hearing all of their strange accents was interesting. First time I’d ever heard someone referred to as a ‘cockney’. Memories of the 1978 World Cup final being shown on the telly in the games room. The other abiding memory is puking all over myself after eating a packet of Parma violets. The thought of them makes me have to this day. Been back a few times when holidaying in Whitby and Scarborough. Love the area, though Mrs BP says it’s boring. 😡
Parma violet packets are tiny! How could you have over eaten a packet of them?! They’re no fizzers though tbf.
I didn't over eat parma violets. It was a combination of them and the coach on the windy roads ,which dipped up and down with great frequency, causing me to vomit. The smell was quite something! :wink:

I enjoy a decent gin, but none of the novelty type ones. Current favourite is Downpour from Uist. The owners very generously supplied samples and often drop deliveries over to us on the ferry in person. The gin distilled in my my village is very good too, but no samples. After complaining about this I've made it on to their tasting team for a new range of beers (they were a brewery before starting with the gin) 😁

TbfI’m not 100% certain that it’s gin I don’t like, or the tonic. Tbh I’m not in any rush to find out.

Good work in getting onto the beer tasting team. You haven’t wasted any time in getting your feet under the table. 😉 How long have you been up there now?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue May 04, 2021 8:45 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:29 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:12 pm
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

TbfI’m not 100% certain that it’s gin I don’t like, or the tonic. Tbh I’m not in any rush to find out.

Good work in getting onto the beer tasting team. You haven’t wasted any time in getting your feet under the table. 😉 How long have you been up there now?
We arrived back in the UK 3 years ago and took on the business 3 years in July. We try to support as many of the small/new businesses on the islands as we can and have gotten to know many of them. We're now supplying ingredients to some of them and then selling the end product in the shop. Bloody hard work, but rewarding. The sense of community here is amazing.

Oh, you can do gin without tonic :wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue May 04, 2021 8:50 pm

Blimey, what school did you all go to, St Ginians? :lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Tue May 04, 2021 9:26 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 7:17 pm
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

As a teacher I’m still scarred for life by a kid that puked on the minibus one away match. There’s always that one kid in every class that’s ‘travel sick’. 🤢
Probably down to your minibus driving, rather than travel sickness. 😉

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue May 04, 2021 11:50 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:45 pm

Especially seaweed gin (if you can get hold of it). Drink it as you would a schnapps. Gorgeous stuff.

The house gin here though is Martin Millers (+ Fever Tree ;) )
May the bridges I burn light your way

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed May 05, 2021 6:48 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:50 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

Especially seaweed gin (if you can get hold of it). Drink it as you would a schnapps. Gorgeous stuff.

If you can get it down there I'd recommend Walter macgregor as an upgrade on fever tree. I find fever tree tries to be the star of the drink rather than letting the gin characteristics shine through.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed May 05, 2021 6:58 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 6:48 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

If you can get it down there I'd recommend Walter macgregor as an upgrade on fever tree. I find fever tree tries to be the star of the drink rather than letting the gin characteristics shine through.
Not when you mix them 1:1 it doesn't 😁

Will look out for Walter MacGregor though, cheers.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed May 05, 2021 7:51 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 6:58 am
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 6:48 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

Not when you mix them 1:1 it doesn't 😁

Will look out for Walter MacGregor though, cheers.
I should have known :lol:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed May 05, 2021 9:02 am

Excuse me gentleman! You have somehow derailed this thread with all your gin talk! Tell me more about your school days instead, what were times like when you were only schooled to the age of 9 before going up chimneys and down mines?! :wink:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed May 05, 2021 9:03 am

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:26 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 7:17 pm

As a teacher I’m still scarred for life by a kid that puked on the minibus one away match. There’s always that one kid in every class that’s ‘travel sick’. 🤢
Probably down to your minibus driving, rather than travel sickness. 😉
Git! :lol:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed May 05, 2021 9:44 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 9:02 am
Tell me more about your school days instead ,
Fair enough. At Grammar school we were physically beaten and mentally abused (and occasionally taught) by a bunch of psychotic bullies, paedophiles and absolute loons who all hid behind the black cloaks of their esteemed Alma maters.

It's only now, nearly 40 years after we left, that we've started making contact with each other and discussing what went on.

Now then, back to the gin ;)

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed May 05, 2021 11:33 am

There were some right sadistic barstewards back then. Never mind the cane, paddles and cricket bats were the norm. The gin is a necessary tool to deal with the pain of the past :wink:

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Wed May 05, 2021 12:36 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 9:44 am
Gooner Girl wrote:
Tell me more about your school days instead ,
Fair enough. At Grammar school we were physically beaten and mentally abused (and occasionally taught) by a bunch of psychotic bullies, paedophiles and absolute loons who all hid behind the black cloaks of their esteemed Alma maters.

It's only now, nearly 40 years after we left, that we've started making contact with each other and discussing what went on.

Now then, back to the gin ;)
Aye, but they were the best days of your life! :wink:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed May 05, 2021 8:28 pm

Didn't do school trips as we could never afford them.

Love gin. X

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed May 05, 2021 9:30 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 8:28 pm
Didn't do school trips as we could never afford them.
Ditto.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed May 05, 2021 9:53 pm

Weapon super mate

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed May 05, 2021 9:54 pm

That was supposed to say Weston-super-Mare, but enjoyed the autocorrect too much.
1984 school trip. No gin.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Wed May 05, 2021 10:28 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Excuse me gentleman! You have somehow derailed this thread with all your gin talk! Tell me more about your school days instead, what were times like when you were only schooled to the age of 9 before going up chimneys and down mines?! :wink:

Didn’t go on many school trips at secondary school for similar financial reasons as others have stated. However, I did go to both Conwy and Caernarfon Castle in my 1st year. I chose to go on the trip, rather than to my sisters wedding. My memories lasted way longer than her marriage! It was my 12th birthday - 19th July 1980. Yes, I know the significance of the date! 🙄 You’ve seen the pics on FB. I loved that cardie and the checked trousers! :oops:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu May 06, 2021 9:34 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 9:54 pm
That was supposed to say Weston-super-Mare, but enjoyed the autocorrect too much.
1984 school trip. No gin.
Should hope there wasn’t! You must have only been about 9! :shock: