Nostalgia. It ain’t what it used to be…

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Nostalgia. It ain’t what it used to be…

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:07 am

A friend on Facebook posted a video today of things she remembered from her childhood, it led me down a rabbit hole on a Pinterest page I set up a few years ago when I did similar. I was a child of the 80’s (largely in the midlands) and a teen of the 90’s (in the south). Now obviously we are all different ages, different genders and spent our childhood in mostly different areas so this may affect your reminisces but I’m curious to know what sort of things you remember from your childhood that no longer exist now. Pictures optional! Here’s some random ones of mine!

Those little biscuits that had chocolate inside!

Big Break, not really a snooker fan but loved watching that along with Generation game, Challenge Anneka and Noels House party - weekend evening telly!

Those pens in school that had an eraser at the end that never worked that well. Does anyone use them, or Tippex, any more?!

Fisher price stuff! Found the garage pictures on eBay for my youngest son. Bought it as a present for him (but really for me)

Massive big sound systems. My dad had one like this.

That glue from school. Anyone else spread it over their hands and then peel it off?!

Mateys bubble bath! I think this one is still going actually!

Henry’s cat - and also pigeon street, dogtanian, Jimbo, button moon, super ted and yet more classic 80’s kids telly. Keep trying to persuade my 6 year old he really wants to watch Postman Pat and not the crap that’s on these days!

Come and praise. Used in assembly at primary school. I could still sing most of the songs from memory now!

Thanks for indulging me if you got this far! :D
Attachments
A310C239-23C8-4AE9-9A19-C752C7B6A0E8.jpeg
A310C239-23C8-4AE9-9A19-C752C7B6A0E8.jpeg (742.96 KiB) Viewed 2019 times

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Nostalgia. It ain’t what it used to be…

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:16 am

Gloy? We used flour and water for making kites...
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:45 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:16 am
Gloy? We used flour and water for making kites...
Did they fall apart mid air?! :D

Used a glue gun to help youngest make his bird feeder out of a milk bottle homework the other day. Took seconds. Some changes definitely for the better!

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:17 pm

Those little biscuits that had chocolate inside? Give us a clue! 🤷‍♂️

TV - Champion the wonder horse (recently found this on Sky ch 328), Casey Jones, Camberwick Green, Trumpton etc. Andy Pandy, Rupert the bear, Pipkins. I could go on.

Still going, but I loved collecting football stickers and swapping them in the playground.

Going out all day, every day and playing without fear or parents knowing exactly where we were!

We have an ancient bottle of tippex in the office, that I managed to get a few drops out of recently. Tippex mouse is the in thing now. Possibly!

Sharing bath water with siblings. 😳

Spangles and pacers, the best sweets ever.

Rental TV that you had to put 5p/10p in to operate and ‘save’ your monthly fee. Getting up to change channels. Only 3 channels to choose from!

Taping the charts on a cassette recorder and trying to cut off before the DJ spoke. Listening to the charts on a Sunday. Physical singles and LP’s.

How long do you have? 😉

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:01 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:17 pm

TV - Champion the wonder horse (recently found this on Sky ch 328), Casey Jones, Camberwick Green, Trumpton etc. Andy Pandy, Rupert the bear, Pipkins. I could go on.

Still going, but I loved collecting football stickers and swapping them in the playground.

Going out all day, every day and playing without fear or parents knowing exactly where we were!

We have an ancient bottle of tippex in the office, that I managed to get a few drops out of recently. Tippex mouse is the in thing now. Possibly!

Rental TV that you had to put 5p/10p in to operate and ‘save’ your monthly fee. Getting up to change channels. Only 3 channels to choose from!

Taping the charts on a cassette recorder and trying to cut off before the DJ spoke. Listening to the charts on a Sunday. Physical singles and LP’s.

How long do you have? 😉
Ahhh, football stickers! That takes me back. Happy days. It’s all about match attax now here.

Never had spangles or pacers so I wouldn’t know. On the plus side please tell me fisherman’s friends are no longer around. They were rank! :vomit:

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:10 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:01 pm
Burnden Paddock wrote:

How long do you have? 😉
Ahhh, football stickers! That takes me back. Happy days. It’s all about match attax now here.

Never had spangles or pacers so I wouldn’t know. On the plus side please tell me fisherman’s friends are no longer around. They were rank! :vomit:

I often like to suck on a Fisherman’s Friend. 😎 I have a packet in my office drawer right now.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:16 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:10 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:01 pm
Burnden Paddock wrote:

How long do you have? 😉

I often like to suck on a Fisherman’s Friend. 😎 I have a packet in my office drawer right now.
It’s a flipping good job I’m not LE or i’d comment something really rude there!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:57 pm

The alpine man
Having to agree what to watch in the rare event there were 2 programs worth watching and on at the same time.
The singles chart
Look In
Woolworths
Black and white portable TV in your bedroom
Victor, Tiger and Roy of the Rovers comics.
Football cards with bubble gum

I'm not quite as nostalgic for the domestic violence, casual racism and general noncery that was quite prevalent in the 70s!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:57 pm

And subbuteo!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:01 pm

Subbuteo is rubbish but I'm not sure it's as bad as racism violence and noncery.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:11 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:57 pm
The alpine man
Having to agree what to watch in the rare event there were 2 programs worth watching and on at the same time.
The singles chart
Look In
Woolworths

I'm not quite as nostalgic for the domestic violence, casual racism and general noncery that was quite prevalent in the 70s!
Who?!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:11 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:01 pm
Subbuteo is rubbish but I'm not sure it's as bad as racism violence and noncery.
:lol:

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:23 pm

Prufrock wrote:

Get to feck! Subbuteo with the stands and the floodlights was awesome

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:28 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:11 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:57 pm
The alpine man
The singles chart
Look In
Woolworths

Who?!

Guy who drove round in a van selling big bottles of pop. Those were the days! Did anyone actually like American cream soda? 🤮

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:30 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:23 pm
Prufrock wrote:

Get to feck! Subbuteo with the stands and the floodlights was awesome

The set up was ace. The game itself was shit, or did you play it properly, flicking the bases? We used to pick the players up by the head and smash the ball. Might explain why so many snapped off from their base Tbf!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:31 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:07 am

Those little biscuits that had chocolate inside! A minty Viscount child, myself (on the rare occasion we had them). Then used to mess around folding the green foil wrapper until it fell to bits :)

Big Break, not really a snooker fan but loved watching that along with Generation game, Challenge Anneka and Noels House party - weekend evening telly! Grange Hill was always my 'must watch'. Oh, and I was fascinated by those kids programmes from around the world, especially the Singing Ringing Tree. I couldn't (and still cannot) watch anything which involves either space or sci-fi. I would, however, quite happily watch just about anything else with the notable exception of Rentaghost. I couldn't stand it, nor any character in it. "Odds bodkins Mistress fecking Meaker"? Even as a child I used to cringe on behalf of that prick dressed up as jester. I'm not at all sure that that's what he had in mind when he first pitched up at drama school :lol:

Those pens in school that had an eraser at the end that never worked that well. Does anyone use them, or Tippex, any more?! You'll have to ask someone who went to the local comp. I don't know what you're on about. ;)

Fisher price stuff! Found the garage pictures on eBay for my youngest son. Bought it as a present for him (but really for me) Nah. Orange lightweight footballs with black hexagons on which would see your fiercest shot on goal fly back over your own shoulder, and would then spontaneously burst upon the merest of contact with a rose bush.

Massive big sound systems. My dad had one like this. Never forget my cassette recorder - every Sunday taping the top 40 from the radio and turn it off before Simon Bates piped up unwantedly. On the landing I still have my old JVC CD/Cassette/Radio thing. Look, it means I can listen to the radio whilst I'm in the shower and it isn't going anywhere :)

That glue from school. Anyone else spread it over their hands and then peel it off?! Polyvinyl acetate? And NO! :lol:

Mateys bubble bath! I think this one is still going actually! To slightly misquote Eddie Murphy -When I was a kid, if we wanted bubble bath, we had to fart in the tub. :)

Henry’s cat - and also pigeon street, dogtanian, Jimbo, button moon, super ted and yet more classic 80’s kids telly. Keep trying to persuade my 6 year old he really wants to watch Postman Pat and not the crap that’s on these days! From when I was very young - Mr Ben, Trumpton / Candlewick Green, Bagpuss, Bod, the Clangers...

Come and praise. Used in assembly at primary school. I could still sing most of the songs from memory now! One thing I've remembered all my life is that Hymn 515 in Songs of Praise is - He Who Would Valiant Be (Or at least it was when I was at Primary school) I don't know why I've retained that :conf: .
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:43 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:28 pm

Guy who drove round in a van selling big bottles of pop. Those were the days! Did anyone actually like American cream soda? 🤮
No, but Irn Bru and Dandelion and Burdock in those stone bottles was pretty good, as was Root Beer in the Temperance Bars (the forerunners of the coffee bars.) :D
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:47 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:43 pm
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:28 pm

No, but Irn Bru and Dandelion and Burdock in those stone bottles was pretty good, as was Root Beer in the Temperance Bars (the forerunners of the coffee bars.) :D
Dandelion and Burdock. Still pure nectar after all these years :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:24 pm

Good to see we've eventually got a thread to replace Facebook.

The Fentimans D&B is absolutely cracking.

Growing up my mate lived in the Bay Horse at the top on Babylon Lane. The road cycling events for the commonwealth games were scheduled to go right past the pub, and about six months before the games his mum (the landlady) bought a shiiiiiiit ton of multi packs of Panda Pops little fizzy drinks from Costco to sell to spectators alongside a BBQ and general street party fayre.

She made the mistake of storing the drinks in the barn where the (broken, and so free) pool table was. We started off "we'll just have one Dandelion and Burdock each".

Come the games and wheeling out the merch the only choice left was IrnBru or Ice cream soda :lol: we got a hell of a bollocking for that!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:26 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:31 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:07 am

Those little biscuits that had chocolate inside! A minty Viscount child, myself (on the rare occasion we had them). Then used to mess around folding the green foil wrapper until it fell to bits :)

Big Break, not really a snooker fan but loved watching that along with Generation game, Challenge Anneka and Noels House party - weekend evening telly! Grange Hill was always my 'must watch'. Oh, and I was fascinated by those kids programmes from around the world, especially the Singing Ringing Tree. I couldn't (and still cannot) watch anything which involves either space or sci-fi. I would, however, quite happily watch just about anything else with the notable exception of Rentaghost. I couldn't stand it, nor any character in it. "Odds bodkins Mistress fecking Meaker"? Even as a child I used to cringe on behalf of that prick dressed up as jester. I'm not at all sure that that's what he had in mind when he first pitched up at drama school :lol:

Those pens in school that had an eraser at the end that never worked that well. Does anyone use them, or Tippex, any more?! You'll have to ask someone who went to the local comp. I don't know what you're on about. ;)

Fisher price stuff! Found the garage pictures on eBay for my youngest son. Bought it as a present for him (but really for me) Nah. Orange lightweight footballs with black hexagons on which would see your fiercest shot on goal fly back over your own shoulder, and would then spontaneously burst upon the merest of contact with a rose bush.

Massive big sound systems. My dad had one like this. Never forget my cassette recorder - every Sunday taping the top 40 from the radio and turn it off before Simon Bates piped up unwantedly. On the landing I still have my old JVC CD/Cassette/Radio thing. Look, it means I can listen to the radio whilst I'm in the shower and it isn't going anywhere :)

That glue from school. Anyone else spread it over their hands and then peel it off?! Polyvinyl acetate? And NO! :lol:

Mateys bubble bath! I think this one is still going actually! To slightly misquote Eddie Murphy -When I was a kid, if we wanted bubble bath, we had to fart in the tub. :)

Henry’s cat - and also pigeon street, dogtanian, Jimbo, button moon, super ted and yet more classic 80’s kids telly. Keep trying to persuade my 6 year old he really wants to watch Postman Pat and not the crap that’s on these days! From when I was very young - Mr Ben, Trumpton / Candlewick Green, Bagpuss, Bod, the Clangers...

Come and praise. Used in assembly at primary school. I could still sing most of the songs from memory now! One thing I've remembered all my life is that Hymn 515 in Songs of Praise is - He Who Would Valiant Be (Or at least it was when I was at Primary school) I don't know why I've retained that :conf: .

Viscounts not a bad shout. It’s no Trio though, and Clangers is back on now if you fancy watching again!

I am now humming ‘he who would valiant be’. Thanks for the ear worm Bruce.