The Olympics

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 39411
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: The Olympics

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:50 pm

What I know so far: Gold in sailing, Gold in showjumping and an amazing Bronze from a 13 year old girl skateboarder. Great stuff,
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8052
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: The Olympics

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:43 pm

Just been catching up on the 10m platform diving. Some 14 year old tiny Chinese lass blowing the competition out the water!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 13147
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:27 pm

Re: The Olympics

Post by boltonboris » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:36 am

Saw some of the Dressage highlights earlier. You can say what you want about it, or whether it's a 'sport' or not, but it's given those athletes the opportunity away from a life of drugs and criminality
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2056
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:57 pm

Re: The Olympics

Post by KeyserSoze » Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:26 am

boltonboris wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:36 am
Saw some of the Dressage highlights earlier. You can say what you want about it, or whether it's a 'sport' or not, but it's given those athletes the opportunity away from a life of drugs and criminality
And yet they still end up on horse :cry:
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 9236
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: The Olympics

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:01 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:26 am
boltonboris wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:36 am
Saw some of the Dressage highlights earlier. You can say what you want about it, or whether it's a 'sport' or not, but it's given those athletes the opportunity away from a life of drugs and criminality
And yet they still end up on horse :cry:
:lol:
...

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 13147
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:27 pm

Re: The Olympics

Post by boltonboris » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:03 pm

:lol:
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 37146
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: The Olympics

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:49 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:36 am
Saw some of the Dressage highlights earlier.
Is that the one where they heat the sand up? The lousy c*nts!
May the bridges I burn light your way

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 39411
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: The Olympics

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:47 pm

Very good day at the Games today. A Brit girl won gold at the Modern Pentathlon and little Laura Muir smashed the British record and took silver in the 1500 meters. Laura Kenny took gold in a bike event and we're still in a couple of boxing finals.Both our relay teams got medals and the men lost out on gold by one hundredth of a second. Well done the lot of them. :pray:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 29046
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: The Olympics

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:34 am

Have to say watching the Madison yesterday with Laura Kenny and Katie Archibald and it was honestly one of the best performances you can ever see in any sport. In a highly complex and competitive race they absolutely destroyed everyone else.

If you want to see a competitive inspiration it’s Laura Kenny for me every time. Superb. Fought through adversity and has won stuff like no other. Even after being a mum. Just amazing.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8123
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: The Olympics

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:29 am

The greatest British olympian of all time is a Boltonian! Superb performance from our Jason in the Kirin.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 9236
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: The Olympics

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:42 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:29 am
The greatest British olympian of all time is a Boltonian! Superb performance from our Jason in the Kirin.
What a top bloke. Fully deserves to have Bolton baths named after him!
...

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 9236
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: The Olympics

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:43 am

Delighted to see how well GB did in the middle distance events too, 3 medals is fantastic. The 1500m will always be the greatest of olympic events for me. The Blue Riband.
...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 37146
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: The Olympics

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:42 am

Apparently the Kenny family have won more medals than India 😁
May the bridges I burn light your way

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 39411
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: The Olympics

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:04 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:29 am
The greatest British olympian of all time is a Boltonian! Superb performance from our Jason in the Kirin.
His mum and dad lived about a hundred yards from me in Farnworth till a couple of years ago. What a shame for Laura being involved in that almighty crash, but Jason gave what the commentator described as a "master class" in his gold medal race. Fantastic as was the Brits performance all round. Proud of the lot of them.

A big cheer for the twin gymnasts Jessica and Jennifer Gadirova, just sixteen and they won a bronze in gymnastics. Lovely kids (born in Dublin apparently).
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 29046
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: The Olympics

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:06 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:04 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:29 am
The greatest British olympian of all time is a Boltonian! Superb performance from our Jason in the Kirin.
His mum and dad lived about a hundred yards from me in Farnworth till a couple of years ago. What a shame for Laura being involved in that almighty crash, but Jason gave what the commentator described as a "master class" in his gold medal race. Fantastic as was the Brits performance all round. Proud of the lot of them.
She didn’t seem too bothered. She’d put her efforts into the gold for the Madison. Can you imagine what their son could do with those genes?

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8052
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: The Olympics

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:52 pm

The best part of the Olympics for me has been seeing how transfixed and inspired my twins (age 10) have been by it (and to a lesser extent their 6 year old brother). They have now decided to hold their own ‘family Olympics’. Both swimming and diving won yesterday by my daughter who swims for a club and can actually dive, unlike her brother who’s more of a belly flopper, and badminton today a draw as they’ve just started learning and neither can serve very well yet which makes actual games tricky. :lol: Boy twin has high hopes however for victories in running and football. Not entirely sure how I will ‘fix’ *cough* it for the youngest to win some events. My suggestion of cardboard medals has been rejected by the head of the IOC in favour of sweets for the victors. Fair to say sportsmanship and being a good loser need some work but I’m sure my children aren’t the only ones to have been inspired over the past few weeks. Smashes the euros out the park in terms of excitement for me.
Attachments
5D9B327F-441B-488D-9683-6C1800BEC7B3.jpeg
5D9B327F-441B-488D-9683-6C1800BEC7B3.jpeg (1.96 MiB) Viewed 238 times

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8052
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: The Olympics

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:04 pm


Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8052
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: The Olympics

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:54 am

I read this morning that we won more medals in more different sports then any other country. Think that’s quite an achievement and celebrates the diversity of British sport. My kids really enjoyed watching a completely random selection! Missing it on the box this week!

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2056
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:57 pm

Re: The Olympics

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:58 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:42 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:29 am
The greatest British olympian of all time is a Boltonian! Superb performance from our Jason in the Kirin.
What a top bloke. Fully deserves to have Bolton baths named after him!
My best mate's claim to fame is that he powerbombed Jason Kenny while at MSJ :lol:
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 9236
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: The Olympics

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:58 am

KeyserSoze wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:58 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:42 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:29 am
The greatest British olympian of all time is a Boltonian! Superb performance from our Jason in the Kirin.
What a top bloke. Fully deserves to have Bolton baths named after him!
My best mate's claim to fame is that he powerbombed Jason Kenny while at MSJ :lol:
As in splashed him in a swimming pool?
...

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests