The Olympics

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

The Olympics

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:51 pm

Thought it deserved its own thread…

Who’s going to be watching? Athletics is always the pinnacle for me but looking forward to the gymnastics, swimming and diving too. Happy that my twins (age 10) will really ‘get’ it this time round too.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Olympics

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:11 pm

The Men's Road Race in the cycling this morning was compelling, awe inspiring, nerve wrecking and isn't anything I'd normally watch.

What is it about Olympic events, in particular sports you've never previously watched, that can have you sat on the very edge of your seat - utterly gripped.

The course was just brutal, and in 30+ degree heat.

Here's a description I've lifted;

The course is a 234-kilometre weave around Tokyo, finishing on the Fuji International Speedway. It is the lumpiest Olympics road race with riders set to face nearly 5,000 metres of climbing, including a potentially decisive 6.5km ascent of the Mikuni Pass inside the last 40 kilometres.

It was that close at the end that there was the thickness of a wheelrim between silver and bronze. Absolutely unbelievable fitness and stamina from the entire field.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:02 pm

[Bruce Rioja,
What is it about Olympic events, in particular sports you've never previously watched, that can have you sat on the very edge of your seat - utterly gripped.

[/quote]

So right mate . I just watched archery and judo in addition to Team G.B. Women's football. Oh, and Max Whitlock qualifying for gymnastics, men's hockey and Adam Peaty destroying the opposition in swimming. All in between following the Whites on text. :mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:51 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:11 pm
The Men's Road Race in the cycling this morning was compelling, awe inspiring, nerve wrecking and isn't anything I'd normally watch.

The course was just brutal, and in 30+ degree heat.

Here's a description I've lifted;

The course is a 234-kilometre weave around Tokyo, finishing on the Fuji International Speedway. It is the lumpiest Olympics road race with riders set to face nearly 5,000 metres of climbing, including a potentially decisive 6.5km ascent of the Mikuni Pass inside the last 40 kilometres.

It was that close at the end that there was the thickness of a wheelrim between silver and bronze. Absolutely unbelievable fitness and stamina from the entire field.
Genuinely Bruce, if you enjoyed it this morning you should seek out some more cycling away from the Tour de France. Spring classics are awesome and on brutal courses on different terrains. Also a good example of the complexity of tactics this morning. WVA was by far the strongest rider in the race but everyone knew it and no one would work with him. As a result Carapaz and McNulty could sneak away.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:04 pm

Athletics easily my favourite events but generally I'll watch anything GB are competing in apart from horsey shite and synchronised swimming. Every time though I do try to catch a bit of the handball. A fast paced sport, that's massive in parts of Europe but has just never taken off here.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:20 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:04 pm
Athletics easily my favourite events but generally I'll watch anything GB are competing in apart from horsey shite and synchronised swimming. Every time though I do try to catch a bit of the handball. A fast paced sport, that's massive in parts of Europe but has just never taken off here.
Remember some old bloke (William Pitt the Younger ir something) winning a medal and lots of fuss about his age, then Bruce pointing out 'Doesn't matter how old he is, how old is his fecking horse?!?' 😀

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:31 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:04 pm

I was out on the astro at school recently with a sales rep who was surveying the surface. Barely listened to a word he said as I watched a game of handball. Fast paced and very skilful. Wouldn’t have minded a game in my younger days, not that I’d have been any good.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:42 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:02 pm

So right mate . I just watched archery and judo in addition to Team G.B. Women's football. Oh, and Max Whitlock qualifying for gymnastics, men's hockey and Adam Peaty destroying the opposition in swimming. All in between following the Whites on text. :mrgreen:
For me, Tango, I guess it started with the canoeing at Sydney 2020. They'd created this frankly impossible seeming river and I just found myself in absolute awe of the competitors upper-body strength and technique.

We always look to the medal tally of countries, but for any individual to represent their country at The Olympics, at absolutely anything, is an outstanding achievement regardless of their finishing position.

Oh, by the way, does anyone know how the scoring system works for the Taekwondo? Well done, Bradly Sinden anyway, even if your parents are dyslexic :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:49 am

jimbo wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:51 pm

Genuinely Bruce, if you enjoyed it this morning you should seek out some more cycling away from the Tour de France. Spring classics are awesome and on brutal courses on different terrains. Also a good example of the complexity of tactics this morning. WVA was by far the strongest rider in the race but everyone knew it and no one would work with him. As a result Carapaz and McNulty could sneak away.
Just watched the women's road race. Again, absolutely outstanding. Felt sorry9ish) for the Dutch girl who thought she'd won gold by dint of the Austrian girl being that far ahead of the peloton that she was out of sight.

The last cycling I did, which was my first for 20 years, was when LeverEnd handed me Taiwan's equivalent of the 'Boris Bike' and forced me to take on the Taipei traffic. Absolute c*nt, he is! :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:51 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:42 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:02 pm

For me, Tango, I guess it started with the canoeing at Sydney 2020. They'd created this frankly impossible seeming river and I just found myself in absolute awe of the competitors upper-body strength and technique.

We always look to the medal tally of countries, but for any individual to represent their country at The Olympics, at absolutely anything, is an outstanding achievement regardless of their finishing position.

Oh, by the way, does anyone know how the scoring system works for the Taekwondo? Well done, Bradly Sinden anyway, even if your parents are dyslexic :D
I think I got to head shot = 2? Trunk shot =1? Kick in the nads =-1

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:07 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:49 am
jimbo wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:51 pm

Just watched the women's road race. Again, absolutely outstanding. Felt sorry9ish) for the Dutch girl who thought she'd won gold by dint of the Austrian girl being that far ahead of the peloton that she was out of sight.

The last cycling I did, which was my first for 20 years, was when LeverEnd handed me Taiwan's equivalent of the 'Boris Bike' and forced me to take on the Taipei traffic. Absolute c*nt, he is! :D
Bit wobbly! 😁

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:09 am

He's obviously an incredible athlete but loving the contrast of the lean, chiseled figures of the lead Triathletes and the Norwegian lad with them who looks like he woke up this morning after a skinful and realised he had to run a triathlon this morning.

And now he has taken the lead!
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:14 am

Yee looks incredibly comfortable.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:19 am

Fair play to Blummenfelt, looked like he was running on fumes but timed it perfectly.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:12 am

KeyserSoze wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:09 am
He's obviously an incredible athlete but loving the contrast of the lean, chiseled figures of the lead Triathletes and the Norwegian lad with them who looks like he woke up this morning after a skinful and realised he had to run a triathlon this morning.

The Lever End of triathletes?!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:58 am

I know nowt about diving nor care in any way for it. But for me Tom Daley winning a gold at his 4th attempt after all he's been through is absolutely what the olympics are about. I mean he's won everything and been top of his sport - apart from an olympic gold. You can just see what it means to him.

Now the tabloids have something else to choke on!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:11 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:58 am
I know nowt about diving nor care in any way for it. But for me Tom Daley winning a gold at his 4th attempt after all he's been through is absolutely what the olympics are about. I mean he's won everything and been top of his sport - apart from an olympic gold. You can just see what it means to him.

Now the tabloids have something else to choke on!
Just watched the highlights over our campfire breakfast. Lovely stuff. Well deserved.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:13 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:12 am
KeyserSoze wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:09 am

The Lever End of triathletes?!
Beat me to it!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:49 pm

How the gymnasts managed on the floor exercises without finishing up in the audience is quite beyond me. Amazing.

Fourth place behind Russia, China and Japan in Gymnastics is quite an achievement. especially beating America and Germany to do it. And Adam Peaty, what a hero... :pray:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:55 pm

G.B. take gold and silver in B.M.X bike riding. Unbelievable. :shock:

In Women's football, sometimes it just isn't your day. Leading 2-1 with two minutes to go and the ref( who gave some weird decisions)gives a blatant free kick the wrong way and the Ausies score and equalise. In extra time we don't get a blatant penalty, then get another..which is saved. Oz go on and score two goals, we get one back too late. The gilrls lose 4-3 and how must Helen White feel after getting a hat trick and losing?

Rest of the day, we did well, and in the pool and sailing, but in the rowing, Britannia no longer rules the waves sadly. :(