Ryder Cup

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Ryder Cup

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:24 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:13 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:25 am
Good win for - ahem - Fleetwood Mc...

But. There's just been a few signs the Mericans are getting used to the course over the back 9.
One thing you have to say about the cousins, they are always aware that a monster drive and a short put are always the same value on the score-card. Sometimes we tend to forget. Come on Tommy, get back at em... :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:32 pm

What they've twigged, is 360 yards into the rough at this course < 330 yards onto the dance floor and one club longer into the green...I'd like us to flip match 3, please! :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:13 pm

You’d absolutely die for 10.5-5.5 going into the final singles before the thing starts.

But you just have to wonder how that last match turning round in three holes could shift momentum…..

Would be the biggest turnaround ever. Hope it doesn’t happen. But feel one or two big European players have looked a bit shaky.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:56 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:13 pm
You’d absolutely die for 10.5-5.5 going into the final singles before the thing starts.

But you just have to wonder how that last match turning round in three holes could shift momentum…..

Would be the biggest turnaround ever. Hope it doesn’t happen. But feel one or two big European players have looked a bit shaky.
A flukey put cost us a win today. The players are fine and leading nicely, indeed theyr'e doing wonderful against America's best. .

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:54 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:56 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:13 pm

A flukey put cost us a win today. The players are fine and leading nicely, indeed theyr'e doing wonderful against America's best. .
Cantlay birdied three or four in a row. You can’t say it was a fluke. He caught fire Poulter style at a crucial time.

Europe are in a massively dominant position and I think will win. But there is just that small doubt given the Americans will take a lot of encouragement from that last game turning round. One down on 16 with Europe a putt to win the hole and go two up two to play. To then win from there….they will take some momentum.

And I just wonder if a few slipped out of form. Fleetwood, Hovland and Fitzpatrick for example had a tough afternoon.

Europe should still win - they need to win 4 points from the next 12 and are in a superb position. It’s just the tiny niggly doubt.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:29 am

Don't think there's sendings off in golf..whoever playing Cantlay needs to wrap a three wood round has caddies head.

Wasn't overly surprised US won the afternoon, they have some great players.

Today might be more interesting than we'd like. Need a good start from Rahm.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:36 pm

Great Start by Team Europe..

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:42 pm

Someone step forwards, please. :-)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:54 pm

There's some twitching sphincters out there...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:05 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:54 pm
There's some twitching sphincters out there...
Nah. Not at all. Always been in the bag today.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:09 pm

There clearly was. I know you wanna be contrary just because...

Grand win.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:27 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:09 pm

Grand win.
Mate you know me. If I’d been worried at any point you’d have seen a fair few posts saying as such!

Genuinely never was worried. We only needed to win those points at the top we did and then it was just a matter of time. USA needed more up top to have a chance!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:39 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:27 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

Grand win.
Mate you know me. If I’d been worried at any point you’d have seen a fair few posts saying as such!

Genuinely never was worried. We only needed to win those points at the top we did and then it was just a matter of time. USA needed more up top to have a chance!
I wasn't talking about whether you were worried! :-) Pretty much everyone interviewed post match has said it got twitchy in the middle.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:42 pm

Just fantastic. Bolton game time apart, I've watched BBC commentary all the way. Go Tommy Fleetwood.. :oyea:

ae:) ae:)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:45 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:39 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:27 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

Grand win.

I wasn't talking about whether you were worried! :-) Pretty much everyone interviewed post match has said it got twitchy in the middle.
Yeah it always will on singles but for me was never on for USA today. They won the three in the middle that frankly looked like they always would when ties were drawn but the at the top Europe won 3.5 points out of top 6 which basically meant it was all but over. But bottom line is we went in with a five point lead and drew singles 6-6….win by 5 points that’s not close in the final analysis.

The commentary has to make it sound close and for me they overdid it this week…Europe dominated. Other way round and they’d have been doom and gloom after first couple finished.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:56 pm

Last post on the topic from me. :-)

Every player interviewed and the Captain (not commentators) said it got twitchy in the middle. I'm going to take their words over yours, mate. They were there! The thing that probably swung it back was Tommy at the 16th in game 11, when the US dumped it in the water. Sure we were firm favourites going into the last day and in the final analysis won comfy.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:19 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:56 pm
Last post on the topic from me. :-)

Every player interviewed and the Captain (not commentators) said it got twitchy in the middle. I'm going to take their words over yours, mate. They were there! The thing that probably swung it back was Tommy at the 16th in game 11, when the US dumped it in the water. Sure we were firm favourites going into the last day and in the final analysis won comfy.
I mean in the middle of the tension I’m sure it seemed tight and you can’t really say otherwise. But at the point you are taking about we needed only half a point more and led in two, tied in one and only one down in a couple. Cold light of day had we not won from there you’d think it utterly remarkable.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:34 pm

I didn't necessarily expect us to go 6-6 in the singles. And after the previous tournament which we try not to mention, 4 points from Rory was immense.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:45 pm

6-6 in singles probably slightly flattered us in fairness. I mean one point reversed in any of the pairs matches and you’d say the USA might have actually won today. Given it would have genuinely got tight down the bottom end and one or two of our wins today came as the pressure was somewhat released. Might have been a different story at say 12-13 etc….

Whilst I was pretty comfortable it’s fair to say that even a five point win wouldn’t take much to have potentially been flipped.

It looks a whitewash but I don’t think it is. The Americans improved from day one. They did seem to go in undercooked.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:58 pm

My last words: The Ryder Cup is a total team effort. For years we got hammered when it ws Great Britain v America. Now, we compete against the U.S.A as a strong European force; we did just now and beat their best quite resoundingly and brought the Cup home.. Nothing can take from that. The rest is Aunt Fanny/Uncle Tommy relevance.