Ryder Cup

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Ryder Cup

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:31 am

Looking forwards to this, as ever. Best game of golf around. No place for Rose on our side and disappointingly no place for Reed on theirs. A bloke, I enjoy watching miss. Gutted.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Ryder Cup

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:41 am

Yeah should be exciting. Tough one this time given crowd will be so weighted but it always is isn't it? Wonder if he'd have liked Westwood to have missed out? Or would he have picked him over Rose anyway?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:48 am

Chuffed to see Poulter picked. Like him or not, the way he comes into his own for the Ryder Cup is always incredible. More of that please, Poults. :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:20 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:41 am
Yeah should be exciting. Tough one this time given crowd will be so weighted but it always is isn't it? Wonder if he'd have liked Westwood to have missed out? Or would he have picked him over Rose anyway?
Aye, think Rose is less than delighted....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:58 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:48 am
Chuffed to see Poulter picked. Like him or not, the way he comes into his own for the Ryder Cup is always incredible. More of that please, Poults. :)
Agree with this Bruce, but really surprised Justin Rose has missed out.He's such a steady and consistent golfer.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:17 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:58 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:48 am
Agree with this Bruce, but really surprised Justin Rose has missed out.He's such a steady and consistent golfer.
The three picks were Poulter, Lowry and Sergio. Not sure he had much choice but to pick those three in the end and for Rose to miss out?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:45 pm

Not up to date on current results, but I thought Tommy Fleetwood's mate, Molinari might make the team somehow. At least John Rahm is a great addition.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:14 am

Starts Friday in the good old U.S of A. Bring it on. Be lovely to beat em over the pond.. :oyea: :oyea:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:06 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:14 am
Starts Friday in the good old U.S of A. Bring it on. Be lovely to beat em over the pond.. :oyea: :oyea:
Am I right in thinking that there won't be any European supporters there (barring perhaps Europeans who reside in the US)?

Be interesting to see if all the whoopin' an' a hollerin' and get-in-the-hole nonsense actually has any effect either way.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:17 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:06 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:14 am
Am I right in thinking that there won't be any European supporters there barring perhaps Europeans who reside in the US)?

Be interesting to see if all the whoopin' an' a hollerin' and get-in-the-hole nonsense actually has any effect either way.
Far as I can gather, that's it Bruce. What a triumph it would be to win anyway...Not the best of sports, our cousins over the pond. :oyea:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:00 pm

I hope that annoying bastard who shouts 'GET IN THE HOLE!!' after every shot isn't there.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:17 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:00 pm
I hope that annoying bastard who shouts 'GET IN THE HOLE!!' after every shot isn't there.
I think we can pretty much guarantee they will be.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:01 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:00 pm
A couple of years ago I took a few visiting US colleagues for a round up at Whalley.

As soon as players on adjoining fairways picked up on their accents, the cries of "Get in the hole" would come back as soon as any of us took a shot, followed by giggles, like that was their moment of original comedy.

By the time we were heading down the back nine it really was starting to grate. As we know, when it comes to annoying bastards, we can be fairly well represented too. :D

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:39 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:01 am
As we know, when it comes to annoying bastards, we can be fairly well represented too. :D
Oh aye, I'd say we're leaders in the field in many things Bruce.. :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:09 pm

Thomas & Spieth v Rahm & Garcia
Johnson & Morikawa v Casey & Hovland
Koepka & Berger v Westwood & Fitzpatrick
Cantlay & Schauffele v McIlroy & Poulter

Hmm dunno what to make of that...2 1/2 US 1 1/2 Eur is my punt

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:26 pm

US commentators think they're nailed on. Hardly worth us batting...I'd be playing that in our team room...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:41 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:09 pm

McIlroy and Poulter is a tasty pairing. Not sure how some like Morikawa and Cantlay are at match play. All jokes aside, that's a strong U.S. side on home turf. We'll need to play well......COME ON THE EUROS... :oyea:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:38 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:41 am
Worthy4England wrote:

McIlroy and Poulter is a tasty pairing. Not sure how some like Morikawa and Cantlay are at match play. All jokes aside, that's a strong U.S. side on home turf. We'll need to play well......COME ON THE EUROS... :oyea:
They don't have a Ryder Cup record (so they're rookies in that sense). However they are currently ranked 3 and 4 in the world, so they can play golf (which isn't quite the same thing as being able to play Ryder Cup). Going to be a tough morning for the Euro's, I'm not feeling quite as 1 1/2 ballsy as I was last night :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:42 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:38 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:41 am
Worthy4England wrote:

They don't have a Ryder Cup record (so they're rookies in that sense). However they are currently ranked 3 and 4 in the world, so they can play golf (which isn't quite the same thing as being able to play Ryder Cup). Going to be a tough morning for the Euro's, I'm not feeling quite as 1 1/2 ballsy as I was last night :-)
On paper in pure golfing ability terms this is the USA's to lose. But Ryder cup does funny things. However, those pairings and match ups don't fill me with huge joy.....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:34 pm

Quote: Billy Foster, caddy to Matt Fitzpatrick, has a go at a cameraman on the fourth. "If you're going to make a noise with that tripod on every shot, will you go and watch another match, ok?" Unquote... :lol: