SPOTY

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who should win SPOTY?

Peaty
43%
Tyson
14%
Sterling
No votes
Raducanu
29%
Daley
14%
Storey
No votes

Total votes: 7

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Re: SPOTY

Post by Burnden Paddock » Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:28 am

Stopped watching and caring years ago because the whole event has become a pile of shite. Sports ‘Personality’ suggests it’s something more than their achievement. I’ve no idea what their real personalities are like. Should be Sports Person Of The Year. Besides that, I’d rather they didn’t limit who people can vote for. It’s a bit like the BRITS where you have to vote for who music execs think is ‘cool’. It all boils down to who has most fans. As much of a knob as he is, I hope Tyson Fury wins to piss off the BBC. That’s if he doesn’t withdraw like he did a few years ago.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:11 am

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:28 am
Stopped watching and caring years ago because the whole event has become a pile of shite. Sports ‘Personality’ suggests it’s something more than their achievement. I’ve no idea what their real personalities are like. Should be Sports Person Of The Year. Besides that, I’d rather they didn’t limit who people can vote for. It’s a bit like the BRITS where you have to vote for who music execs think is ‘cool’. It all boils down to who has most fans. As much of a knob as he is, I hope Tyson Fury wins to piss off the BBC. That’s if he doesn’t withdraw like he did a few years ago.
I mean it boils down to who gets the most votes whether that is the same as 'fans' or not I don't know but I'd have thought the basic concept of SPOTY was a popularity contest no?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:37 am

It's all an overblown publicity stunt/popularity contest. How can you judge apples against pears, lemons or bananas, or swimmers against tennis players, footballers and golfers without adding a defining category to the award? In short, who actually wins in the long run to get their name engraved on a trophy for a year? Whoever it is will be besieged by companies seeking to get their product advertised?

Cynical me? Nah. Tina Turner had it right.."What's love got to do with it?" :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:22 am

I mean generally the sports that have more exposure are going to produce the winners surely? Sports like football, tennis, cricket, F1 must statistically produce more winners then say sports like rugby league and trampolining?! Even the likes of Tom Daley have probably only got a chance of winning in an Olympic year and he’s pretty much a household name.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:35 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:22 am
I mean generally the sports that have more exposure are going to produce the winners surely? Sports like football, tennis, cricket, F1 must statistically produce more winners then say sports like rugby league and trampolining?! Even the likes of Tom Daley have probably only got a chance of winning in an Olympic year and he’s pretty much a household name.
Don't know about statistically but I guess probably. Though Sterling won't come close will he? And you can argue whether Tennis (beyond Wimbledon) is not more niche than say Rugby League even?

I think stories often transcend the sports popularity though. Nobody watches diving outside or worlds and olympics but Daley is a big name because of the story.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:40 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:35 am
Gooner Girl wrote:
Don't know about statistically but I guess probably. Though Sterling won't come close will he? And you can argue whether Tennis (beyond Wimbledon) is not more niche than say Rugby League even?

I think stories often transcend the sports popularity though. Nobody watches diving outside or worlds and olympics but Daley is a big name because of the story.
Yes, agreed. I could probably only name 1/2 other divers. Maybe living down south rugby league isn’t as big as up north? Sterling won’t come close but I can’t help thinking he’s only in because the sport he plays is so high profile. He had a good season but I wouldn’t say he’s achieved outstandingly compared to some of the others, maybe though it’s harder to stick out because it’s a team game and the others are individual sports?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:19 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:40 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:35 am
Gooner Girl wrote:

Yes, agreed. I could probably only name 1/2 other divers. Maybe living down south rugby league isn’t as big as up north? Sterling won’t come close but I can’t help thinking he’s only in because the sport he plays is so high profile. He had a good season but I wouldn’t say he’s achieved outstandingly compared to some of the others, maybe though it’s harder to stick out because it’s a team game and the others are individual sports?
Yeah. Its an odd one. You could argue that the only nominee and winner this year should be Marcus Rashford. But it depends how you want to define the award.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:46 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:11 am
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:28 am
It all boils down to who has most fans.
I mean it boils down to who gets the most votes whether that is the same as 'fans' or not I don't know but I'd have thought the basic concept of SPOTY was a popularity contest no?
It would take the likes of Kevin Davies to be nominated to get me to vote.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:06 pm

The topic brought to mind an old (and rather long) poem by J.Milton Hayes, of which I just offer the closing stanza It's called MY OLD FOOTBALL:

Oh you can keep your antique silver
And your statuettes of bronze
Your curios and tapestries so fine
But of all your treasures rare
There is nothing to compare
With that patched-up worn-out football—
Pal o’ mine.

The entire poem may not be of interest. Should it be, it's here:

http://monologues.co.uk/Dramatic/My_Old_Football.htm

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:46 pm

Caught up with last nights SPOTY. Deserved win for Raducanu. Moved by the piece about, and award to, Jen Beattie too. Nice to rewatch some of the summer of sport highlights. Was such a bright spot in a rubbish Covid year, something to look forward to, turning the telly on every day and seeing my kids enjoy watching all kinds of different sports. Just hoping football doesn’t all change/stop again now. Winter Olympics soon too!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:24 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:48 am

I feel like they just had to throw a footballer into the mix?! :conf: Seems an odd candidate. I’d have gone for a cyclist as an option instead, Jason Kenny or that BMX lass, Bethany Shriever.
I wouldn't have had football players, or even Rugby or Cricketers in there.
( Ben Stokes at a pinch)They're part of total team games, not individuals. Sterling? Why? Cavendish, Kenny the paralympics girl yes. Tom Daley a serious candidate because you wouldn't get me up there for love or money neve mind diving off it. ......

Emma Raducanu deserved it for her very youth and guts. Good luck to her Adam Petty, a totally incredible athlete, second...any one of a whole bunch after that.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:14 pm

Sterling makes perfect sense to me. He was our top scorer as we got to within penalties of a first major tournament win in our national sport since 1966. If we'd won on penalties he'd probably have won player of the tournament.

I said throughout that I wouldn't have picked him to play, but he did well and I get why he was nominated.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:24 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:24 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:48 am

I feel like they just had to throw a footballer into the mix?! :conf: Seems an odd candidate. I’d have gone for a cyclist as an option instead, Jason Kenny or that BMX lass, Bethany Shriever.
I wouldn't have had football players, or even Rugby or Cricketers in there.
( Ben Stokes at a pinch)They're part of total team games, not individuals. Sterling? Why? Cavendish, Kenny the paralympics girl yes. Tom Daley a serious candidate because you wouldn't get me up there for love or money neve mind diving off it. ......

Emma Raducanu deserved it for her very youth and guts. Good luck to her Adam Petty, a totally incredible athlete, second...any one of a whole bunch after that.
Ben Stokes has barely played this year…not sure how you’d have him in even at a pinch over Sterling who was an integral part of a team that reached Englands first major final since 1966.

I probably wouldn’t have had a footballer in, other than Rashford, but there is absolutely no way on god Green earth that Stokes could have been in. He’s been injured and then unavailable all year.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:24 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:14 pm
Sterling makes perfect sense to me. He was our top scorer as we got to within penalties of a first major tournament win in our national sport since 1966. If we'd won on penalties he'd probably have won player of the tournament.

I said throughout that I wouldn't have picked him to play, but he did well and I get why he was nominated.
^^

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:26 am

No SPOTY for Saint Marcus but he still has his nomination for BOTY ( Bullshit of the Year).

"This December I tasked ⁦@ChefTomKerridge⁩ to create a Christmas Day and Boxing Day meal for £10 after we relied on the food bank for ours growing up. I wanted families to be able to create memories in the kitchen this year and he’s done a great job".

Who writes this stuff for him?
Last edited by Gudnib on Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:29 am

Yeah, what I take from that is how annoying his writing style is, the bastard.

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:47 am

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:29 am
Yeah, what I take from that is how annoying his writing style is, the bastard.
Is it really? You actually think he writes this stuff himself? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:27 am

Words have not yet been invented to describe how little I care whether he does or not.

I think good quality Christmas meals for people struggling for only a tenner is smashing though.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:32 am

Is that £10 per head, or £10 all told?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:48 am

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:27 am
Words have not yet been invented to describe how little I care whether he does or not.

I think good quality Christmas meals for people struggling for only a tenner is smashing though.
It's odd that it even needs to be said.

What an excellent young man and role model he is. Shame he plays for 'that lot' though :D
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"