SPOTY

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who should win SPOTY?

Peaty
43%
Tyson
14%
Sterling
No votes
Raducanu
29%
Daley
14%
Storey
No votes

Total votes: 7

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

SPOTY

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:13 am

Your contenders are…

“The nominees are diver Tom Daley, boxer Tyson Fury, swimmer Adam Peaty, tennis player Emma Raducanu, footballer Raheem Sterling and Paralympic cyclist Dame Sarah Storey.”

Personally I think Peaty and Raducanu are streets above the other 4 but I can’t decide which I would give my vote to. Thoughts anyone?!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: SPOTY

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:35 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:13 am
Your contenders are…

“The nominees are diver Tom Daley, boxer Tyson Fury, swimmer Adam Peaty, tennis player Emma Raducanu, footballer Raheem Sterling and Paralympic cyclist Dame Sarah Storey.”

Personally I think Peaty and Raducanu are streets above the other 4 but I can’t decide which I would give my vote to. Thoughts anyone?!
For me - based on how I view such things - it would be Daley.

Simply because he's been through a career, had all sorts of adversity, and as he comes to the end - he's won an olympic gold. The absolute difficulty of doing that in a sport that really favours younger athletes, to keep going with the injuries, the media on your back.

I'm not into diving at all and certainly no Daley fan (not a disliker either). But I just found that story and watching him inspirational. It was the sort of thing I want my kids to see. The sort of star you want them to see - someone who never gives up.

Raducanu is absolutely amazing - an unparalleled achievement. But she won a slam as a teenager - her first event. She will I suspect if she keeps level headed win more. But the challenge was not the same as Daley.

Its the same reason I voted for Murray in the past because he won after adversity, years of struggle.

That for me is true greatness and character.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:40 am

What's Sterling's qualification here? Being good at footy? I mean, I'm not sure what he gets up to in his private life but Jordan Henderson would be a better inclusion here, for me anyway.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:43 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:35 am
Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:13 am
Your contenders are…

For me - based on how I view such things - it would be Daley.

Simply because he's been through a career, had all sorts of adversity, and as he comes to the end - he's won an olympic gold. The absolute difficulty of doing that in a sport that really favours younger athletes, to keep going with the injuries, the media on your back.

I'm not into diving at all and certainly no Daley fan (not a disliker either). But I just found that story and watching him inspirational. It was the sort of thing I want my kids to see. The sort of star you want them to see - someone who never gives up.

Raducanu is absolutely amazing - an unparalleled achievement. But she won a slam as a teenager - her first event. She will I suspect if she keeps level headed win more. But the challenge was not the same as Daley.

Its the same reason I voted for Murray in the past because he won after adversity, years of struggle.

That for me is true greatness and character.
He’d have been my 3rd choice for reasons you stated above. I guess it depends on what you’re basing it on then. One outstanding, unexpected achievement (Raducanu) or consistent excellence in sport, and does personality even come into it at all?! The Olympics seem ages ago now but thinking back to Peaty and Daley’s achievements I remember just how much it captured my kids imagination. A real highlight of the year here.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:48 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:40 am
What's Sterling's qualification here? Being good at footy? I mean, I'm not sure what he gets up to in his private life but Jordan Henderson would be a better inclusion here, for me anyway.

I feel like they just had to throw a footballer into the mix?! :conf: Seems an odd candidate. I’d have gone for a cyclist as an option instead, Jason Kenny or that BMX lass, Bethany Shriever.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:01 am

A genuine question: How much of this award is actually dedicated to sporting achievement and how much outside of it? I ask purely because it's Sport's person of the year as an award and even voting is surely personal preference. I just wonder where the criteria line is drawn by the adjudicators?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:18 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:01 am
A genuine question: How much of this award is actually dedicated to sporting achievement and how much outside of it? I ask purely because it's Sport's person of the year as an award and even voting is surely personal preference. I just wonder where the criteria line is drawn by the adjudicators?
It should be sporting achievement surely? You can’t have someone like a rubbish footballer from Manchester winning it purely because he’s actually quite a nice guy who cares about kids in poverty being fed. That’s what he got the MBE for. Unpleasant characters like Tyson Fury aren’t being nominated for their ‘personality’ I wouldn’t think but their achievements.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:22 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:18 am
Unpleasant characters like Tyson Fury aren’t being nominated for their ‘personality’ I wouldn’t think but their achievements.
Have you ever heard / seen his dad being interviewed? The term 'absolute wanker' was coined specifically for him.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:24 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:22 am
Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:18 am
Unpleasant characters like Tyson Fury aren’t being nominated for their ‘personality’ I wouldn’t think but their achievements.
Have you ever heard / seen his dad being interviewed? The term 'absolute wanker' was coined specifically for him.
No, but sounds like the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree?!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:28 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:40 am
Just a punt here, Brucie.

Prem League title winner, EFL Cup winner, FA cup semi-finalist, Champions League runner up, Euro Championship runner up...I think you could probably make the case for other City players too, but not sure Jordan Henderson for this year....Missed most of the Euro Champs and don't think Liverpool won owt - Henderson was runner up last year....

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:45 am

Really surprised Mark Cavendish didn’t get a nomination. Barnstorming comeback after being completely written off by even those closest to him. Olympics always gets a lot of the focus though.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:28 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:28 am
Henderson was runner up last year....
Ah, I didn't know that. mind you, I couldn't tell you who the current holder is (although I suspect he came 2nd on Sunday)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:39 pm

Aye pretty sure Lewis won it last year after winning his 7th (and overtaking Schumacher on poles/race wins).

Peatty, Fury and Radacanu would be my top 3, I think in that order.

Peatty is ridiculous. At one point he had the top TWENTY 100m breaststroke times in history.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:46 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:39 pm
Aye pretty sure Lewis won it last year after winning his 7th (and overtaking Schumacher on poles/race wins).

Peatty, Fury and Radacanu would be my top 3, I think in that order.

Peatty is ridiculous. At one point he had the top TWENTY 100m breaststroke times in history.
And the dubious honour of being emulated by my 6 year old son who when jumping into the pool yells “I’m Adam Peaty” as he goes! Given the only other sports people he knows of are pretty much all in the Arsenal squad I’ve decided to give my vote to him for inspiring the young :wink:

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:55 pm

Raducanu for me. Not just winning a grand slam tournament but doing it at such a young age, unseeded and without dropping a set. Phenomenal. Seems like a nice lass too.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:13 pm

Raducanu should have loads of chances to win this in the future. I'm not sure a teenager who has won a slam needs more accolades and arguably it might not do her any good. She certainly lost focus (understandably) after the win.

For me the sport bit is achievement and the personality bit is a character that has driven themselves to achieve. I agree with Tango that it really comes down to personal preference. But I'd say the story is more critical than the person or achievement.

Murray winning slams was in itself not that massive. But it was the weight of history the personal struggle he'd had that made it more engaging and more fitting for SPOTY.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:19 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:55 pm
Raducanu for me. Not just winning a grand slam tournament but doing it at such a young age, unseeded and without dropping a set. Phenomenal. Seems like a nice lass too.

You’re voting for a mere woman in a sporting contest?! You feeling alright Harry?! :shock: ;)

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:25 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:13 pm
For me the sport bit is achievement and the personality bit is a character that has driven themselves to achieve. I agree with Tango that it really comes down to personal preference. But I'd say the story is more critical than the person or achievement.

Murray winning slams was in itself not that massive. But it was the weight of history the personal struggle he'd had that made it more engaging and more fitting for SPOTY.
In that sense, I'd struggle to see past Fury. An uneducated oaf with a peripatetic upbringing who's fought against depression and an eating disorder to become the heavyweight champion of the world.

It ceased to be about personality when they gave it to Ryan Giggs!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:27 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:19 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:

You’re voting for a mere woman in a sporting contest?! You feeling alright Harry?! :shock: ;)
I've no issue with women and other under represented groups having a go at sports. She's done well. Even if she did have to play less sets than her male equivalents often do to get the same recognition.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:31 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:27 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:19 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:

I've no issue with women and other under represented groups having a go at sports. She's done well. Even if she did have to play less sets than her male equivalents often do to get the same recognition.
You couldn’t just leave it at “she’s done well” could you?! Have to get a little dig in.

“Having a go” So patronising. :roll: