Good deeds...

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

dagmarsawayn
Hopeful
Hopeful

Good deeds...

Post by dagmarsawayn » Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:36 pm

Quick question:

If a man, came into your place of work and asked you to do his tie........would you?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Good deeds...

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:55 pm

Right now I'm wondering why a man joins a football forum to ask a question like that as a first post. ?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:08 pm

dagmarsawayn wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:36 pm
Quick question:

If a man, came into your place of work and asked you to do his tie........would you?
I'd spay the c*nt's face with Holt's Duplicolour. British racing green, or maybe Triumph vermillion. Maybe both.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:33 pm

Seems the best place for this to go.

Saw a clip of Andy Burnham on NW news earlier talking about a homelessness charity he is involved with. He was asked how it's funded and he said that it was a charity and that he contributed himself. Someone on Twitter pointed out that he contributes 15% of his income, so about £20k a year.

Fair feck* to the lad. I don't think he's Labour's answer on the national stage but he does seem a good sort.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:13 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:33 pm

Saw a clip of Andy Burnham on NW news earlier talking about a homelessness charity he is involved with. He was asked how it's funded and he said that it was a charity and that he contributed himself. Someone on Twitter pointed out that he contributes 15% of his income, so about £20k a year.

Fair feck* to the lad. I don't think he's Labour's answer on the national stage but he does seem a good sort.
In 1991, Teenage Fanclub released an album entitled 'Bandwagonesque'. Whenever Burnham pops up, I think of it immediately.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:29 pm

He was my third choice out of four in the 2015 leadership election (I'll let you guess who was fourth!) but tough to knock giving £20kpa to charity for me!

On the other hand I've never managed Teenage Fanclub. Never clicked for me.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:36 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:13 pm
Prufrock wrote:

In 1991, Teenage Fanclub released an album entitled 'Bandwagonesque'. Whenever Burnham pops up, I think of it immediately.
Don’t understand the mentality of criticising someone donating a large percentage of their salary to a charity. Nor calling them a bandwagon jumper. Surely the bandwagon jumper would be screaming about homelessness without annually donating so much?

Is this just a ‘I hate Labour’ or thing? Cos it does seem an odd thing to say.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:12 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:36 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Don’t understand the mentality of criticising someone donating a large percentage of their salary to a charity. Nor calling them a bandwagon jumper. Surely the bandwagon jumper would be screaming about homelessness without annually donating so much?

Perhaps you can point out where I've criticised someone for donating money to charity? Go on! I too donate to charities, however, I'm not sufficiently sanctimonious that I feel the need to scan the receipts on a monthly basis and post them on Twitter.

Regarding bandwagons, Burnham has a long history of waiting for a cause to reach a certain point before involving himself, in fact, I even remember reading a quote of his from a couple of years ago regarding building a golf course and houses on the Hulton Park Estate - "This is getting close to a level where I'll have to get involved'.

How long were the Hillsborough families fighting for alone before he graced them with his presence?

Further, I don't 'hate Labour', I have better things to do. If anything, I wish they'd get their fingers out and, for the good of us all, form a decent opposition because right now Boris and his cohorts are taking the piss.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:36 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:12 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Perhaps you can point out where I've criticised someone for donating money to charity? Go on! I too donate to charities, however, I'm not sufficiently sanctimonious that I feel the need to scan the receipts on a monthly basis and post them on Twitter.

Regarding bandwagons, Burnham has a long history of waiting for a cause to reach a certain point before involving himself, in fact, I even remember reading a quote of his from a couple of years ago regarding building a golf course and houses on the Hulton Park Estate - "This is getting close to a level where I'll have to get involved'.

How long were the Hillsborough families fighting for alone before he graced them with his presence?

Further, I don't 'hate Labour', I have better things to do. If anything, I wish they'd get their fingers out and, for the good of us all, form a decent opposition because right now Boris and his cohorts are taking the piss.
Fair enough. Not sure I agree that he’s a bandwagon jumper anymore than anyone else. He cannot be across all issues all the time.

In terms of this example he wasn’t talking about his donation until asked and then I believe it was someone else who revealed he has a long standing and significant contribution to said charity. I don’t think that’s fair to suggest he was self promoting.

Personally think Labour now have a front bench that is light years ahead of the other lot. Both in terms of sense and honesty and integrity. It’s not even close. They also have for the first time in ages consistent and significant poll leads. It’s going to be interesting to see who the Tories replace Boris with, because he’s a dead man walking now. Truss is the favourite…lord help us.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:48 pm

Angela Rayner, mate. Not a vote winner. I cringe every time she opens her trap. Labour will not win an election whilst she's calling Tory's scum, because Labour need some of their votes unsurprisingly.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:17 pm

Aye, but not much anyone can do about that.

Don't make me tap the sign
Prufrock wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:36 pm
...the issue is the responsibility of both major parties who have allowed their members too much power. The leader of both parties should be chosen by the MPs, that's who they lead, and they are accountable to the public both specifically in their constituency and more widely in the country (many a good constituency MP has lost their seat in a nationwide swing).

Instead, in the name of being "more democratic" both party leaders are chosen in the largest part but the kind of nutters who join political parties. They tend heavily to the more extreme end. So you have one party leader having to pander to the blue rinse god I wish I was back in the war I've convinced myself I lived through lot, and the other pandering to the nationalise Apple, happy birthday Gerry Adams and oh that's a clever mural of hook-nosed bankers lot.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:34 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:48 pm
Angela Rayner, mate. Not a vote winner. I cringe every time she opens her trap. Labour will not win an election whilst she's calling Tory's scum, because Labour need some of their votes unsurprisingly.
Well yes but she’s deputy in name only because they can’t bloody sack her. However, to counter, Boris, hang ‘em high Patel, Pork Market opening Truss, The Saj, shifty Sunak, shapeshifter Gove, workhouse director Mogg….I could go on.

Rayner might be Prescott but by god it’s not even close now.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:19 am

That's all good, mate, but for many, I fear the question is "are the lot I don't normally vote for, electable?" Rather than "did I make a mistake with my last vote" because no one ever makes a mistake and rationalise it with how bad it would have been if they'd voted the other way, which is a bar they can set where they want to...

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:40 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:36 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:12 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Fair enough. Not sure I agree that he’s a bandwagon jumper anymore than anyone else. He cannot be across all issues all the time.

In terms of this example he wasn’t talking about his donation until asked and then I believe it was someone else who revealed he has a long standing and significant contribution to said charity. I don’t think that’s fair to suggest he was self promoting.

Personally think Labour now have a front bench that is light years ahead of the other lot. Both in terms of sense and honesty and integrity. It’s not even close. They also have for the first time in ages consistent and significant poll leads. It’s going to be interesting to see who the Tories replace Boris with, because he’s a dead man walking now. Truss is the favourite…lord help us.

It was a fairly high-profile electoral promise during his mayoral election campaign in 2017. Without a doubt, he should be credited for standing by his promise and fronting up the money every month but it isn't an example of quiet, anonymous charity giving revealed by others.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:45 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:19 am
That's all good, mate, but for many, I fear the question is "are the lot I don't normally vote for, electable?" Rather than "did I make a mistake with my last vote" because no one ever makes a mistake and rationalise it with how bad it would have been if they'd voted the other way, which is a bar they can set where they want to...
Oh absolutely. Don’t disagree. But anyone with sense who isn’t a swivel eyed loon would see the two front benches and they aren’t even close.

You have in the last five years had a situation where the Labour front bench was a joke. The Tory front bench full of sinister and vaguely unpleasant folks. So there was a ‘pick your poison’ thing to it unless you were skewed already one way or ‘tother.

Now though you’ve got Reeves, Cooper, Streeting and Starmer. It’s strong. And probably not inspirational but strong. And against them you have a front bench that stands for corruption, lies and a cheap and dirty power grab. And the polls suggest at least for now the public have got bored of the joke.

Do I think Labour will win the next election? No. I think they COULD though. Unlikely but possible. Not been that way for a long time.