Golf mates

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Golf mates

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:10 am

Gudnib wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:46 am
Why don't you see if you can get your Golf Mates to go to Barra, Bruce? You don't get golf like this on the Costa del Sol.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fvX_pdaqu4[/youtube]
I will, gudnib, cheers. All things allowing, we play abroad one year and at home the next. Last year we grabbed a group booking at Carden Park, which was absolutely fine, however, I know that we'd all sooner be heading further north.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:59 am

I always prefer to head north, Bruce.
I played Heysham yesterday. It was like being on Caddyshack with the sounds of the 70's booming out from the nearby, but out of view, Ocean Edge Caravan Park.

Scooter riders were out in force in The Bay too. I should have worn flares instead of shorts. :D

Good course though, Heysham, and friendly folk.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:07 pm

Gudnib wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:59 am
Good course though, Heysham, and friendly folk.
Now here's a thing. A friend of mine (and erstwhile member of this forum) used to play fairly regularly by booking on a variety of courses via teetimes.com. I don't know if teetimes.com is something you're familiar with, but essentially it works both ways in allowing clubs to sell-off available tee-times to non-members, whilst allowing the more casual golfer to choose from a list of courses without having to be invited on.
Anyway, my friend lives in Yorkshire and I live over here, so we'd alternate - he'd book a round over there and me the next over here.
Here's the thing though - something we found, and almost without exception, was that warmest welcomes were always afforded us in Yorkshire, by friendly locals who were only too happy to give us tips and hints regarding the course, and just generally welcome us in. Of course, post round we'd be only to happy to join them in the clubhouse for a drink and often a bite to eat.
I cannot begin to tell you how sharply this attitude fell at odds with the way we were usually treated on this side of the Pennines. Always an air of 'what are you doing on our course?' and 'Who are you?'. It was quite common for someone from a group playing up an adjoining fairway to ask us if we'd paid? No non-members in the clubhouse. Generally an attitude of 'you've paid and you've played, now feck off'.

Of course, in time we found ourselves playing far more golf over there rather than over here.
May the bridges I burn light your way