Golf mates

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Golf mates

Post by Gudnib » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:01 pm

Does anyone watch Golf Mates? Its run by Wanderers fan Liam Harrison. He usually gets to mention the Whites in his videos. Here he is playing at Kirkby Lonsdale last season. Take a peak
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRy1cIOmKik[/youtube]

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Golf mates

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:29 pm

Lovely looking course. A bunch of us are off to Marbella for a few rounds later in the year. The courses are fantastic - I'm just not a particular fan of Marbella.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:13 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:29 pm
Lovely looking course. A bunch of us are off to Marbella for a few rounds later in the year. The courses are fantastic - I'm just not a particular fan of Marbella.
Kirkby's nice enough but every bit as nice imo and same neck of the woods is Bentham. Bolton Bangers were there last year too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z54CXLBbKxo

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:24 pm

Gudnib wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:13 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Kirkby's nice enough but every bit as nice imo and same neck of the woods is Bentham. Bolton Bangers were there last year too.

Now then, those of us who are familiar with Bentham know there's both a High Bentham and a Low Bentham. Lovely looking course again. I'll have to see if anyone fancies a mini trip to involve both Kirkby and Bentham.

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:10 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:24 pm
Gudnib wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:13 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Now then, those of us who are familiar with Bentham know there's both a High Bentham and a Low Bentham. Lovely looking course again. I'll have to see if anyone fancies a mini trip to involve both Kirkby and Bentham.
Bentham Golf Club's at High Bentham and definitely worth a visit. If you've never played Ulverston, I'd add that to your list. Great course, fantastic condition (on my last visit 18 months ago), wonderful views and club pro, Alyn Cousins, is a Wanderers supporter. Check it out.
Hope you like the Golf Mates videos.

https://www.ulverstongolf.co.uk/

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:30 am

I'm supposed to be playing golf at Bentham tomorrow but I think I'll give it a miss. Golf in sub-zero temperatures ain't my idea of 'not to be missed' activities.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:47 am

Gudnib wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:30 am
I'm supposed to be playing golf at Bentham tomorrow but I think I'll give it a miss. Golf in sub-zero temperatures ain't my idea of 'not to be missed' activities.
Played an iced-solid Northop once. Wonderful when you hit your drive, but an utterly joyless waste of time otherwise.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:36 pm

Once had a wonderful par four on such an iced solid on the old fifth at Deane. First drive hit a ridge and went off at right angles and out of bounds. Not happy playing three off the tee but hit a good long drive. Fourth shot took a favoured kick forward onto the green, rolled and...dropped in the hole. Par four..not how, but how many.. :D
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:40 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:36 pm
.not how, but how many.. :D
:lol:

Or as a friend of mine says, "there's nowt for showing your working out". :D

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:53 pm

Had a trip with Lady G to Kirkby Lonsdale for lunch today. Several nice eateries In Kirkby and a good staycation place for anyone fancying a KL, Bentham golf course double.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:27 pm

Gudnib wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:53 pm
Had a trip with Lady G to Kirkby Lonsdale for lunch today. Several nice eateries In Kirkby and a good staycation place for anyone fancying a KL, Bentham golf course double.
Oh KL’s lovely. We used to live 10 minutes away and spend most weekend days there. The walk along the river is beautiful, and it’s great for the kids to play in in summer. Good brewery too with a great bar attached.

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:42 am

jimbo wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:27 pm
Gudnib wrote:
Oh KL’s lovely. We used to live 10 minutes away and spend most weekend days there. The walk along the river is beautiful, and it’s great for the kids to play in in summer. Good brewery too with a great bar attached.
"I do not know in all my country, still less in France or Italy, a place more naturally divine." wrote John Ruskin. I don't think Ruskin ever visited Burnden Park. :D :D :D

https://www.kirkbylonsdale.co.uk/discov ... skins-view

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:16 am

Gudnib wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:42 am
jimbo wrote:
Gudnib wrote:
"I do not know in all my country, still less in France or Italy, a place more naturally divine." wrote John Ruskin. I don't think Ruskin ever visited Burnden Park. :D :D :D

He certainly never visited the toiles then... :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:38 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:16 am
Gudnib wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:42 am
jimbo wrote:
Gudnib wrote:

He certainly never visited the toiles then... :wink:
Need to be wrapped up in a bit more than toile in Morecambe Bay today.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:55 am

Gudnib wrote:
KL, I find to be like good olives; something one comes to truly appreciate all the more with age. To think, in my late teens I used to look forward to visiting just to be able to jump off the bridge and into the river. I think I've just reinforced my own point. 😊 Gorgeous little place. One of precious few places I actually prefer in winter.

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:36 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:55 am
Gudnib wrote:
KL, I find to be like good olives; something one comes to truly appreciate all the more with age. To think, in my late teens I used to look forward to visiting just to be able to jump off the bridge and into the river. I think I've just reinforced my own point. 😊 Gorgeous little place. One of precious few places I actually prefer in winter.
Not entirely surprised to learn today that one of the Warby's boys lives in the Lune Valley not far from Kirkby. Really nice part of the world.

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:05 am

Lovely day yesterday so it was the golf course for me and a bit of practice. I've got this daft ambition to score less than my age over 18 holes. All I need to do is play better than I did thirty years ago.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:39 am

Gudnib wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:05 am
Lovely day yesterday so it was the golf course for me and a bit of practice. I've got this daft ambition to score less than my age over 18 holes. All I need to do is play better than I did thirty years ago.
Anywhere nice, Gudnib?

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:02 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:39 am
Gudnib wrote:
Anywhere nice, Gudnib?
State secret, Bruce. You can't be too careful these days.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:04 pm

Gudnib wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:02 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:39 am
Gudnib wrote:
Anywhere nice, Gudnib?
State secret, Bruce. You can't be too careful these days.
Fair enough :D