Golf mates

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Re: Golf mates

Post by Gudnib » Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:33 am

Had a trip out to Bentham G. C. yesterday. The forecast was chilly and cloudy but it turned out to be a beautiful morning.

The mate who invites me to Bentham is a Citeh fan who insists on telling me about the most recent results of every Citeh team in every age group male and female. I indulge him with good grace.

The owners at Bentham are continuing to spend money on course improvements and have installed a few more luxury lodges around the course. Ideal for staycation couples.
Last edited by Gudnib on Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:28 am

I decided to take a small detour on the way back from Bentham yesterday. I wanted to take a look at Wennington Hall School. It looks magnificent but has only 15 pupils and is scheduled for closure in August. Got me thinking about alternative uses.

https://www.lancasterguardian.co.uk/edu ... ts-3601653
Last edited by Gudnib on Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:51 pm

Interested to discover that Wennington Hall was designed by the Lancaster based architect E G Paley. Paley was best known for designing churches including Bolton Parish Church and Lancaster cathedral. If TD had ever been in 'the Gods' at the old Grand Theatre he would have entered the theatre via the side entrance in Paley Street.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:31 pm

Gudnib wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:51 pm
Interested to discover that Wennington Hall was designed by the Lancaster based architect E G Paley. Paley was best known for designing churches including Bolton Parish Church and Lancaster cathedral. If TD had ever been in 'the Gods' at the old Grand Theatre he would have entered the theatre via the side entrance in Paley Street.
Interesting. Used to go to The Grand, as far back as when they had a Circus there. Long time ago. I also, as a patternmaker, did a couple of jobs for a guy who made church furniture and once carved a rose inlet into a chair back (The Bishop's throne) of Lancaster Cathedral. I also painted the back of the Bishop's throne in Truro Cathedral. Both will be long gone now, but I was quite proud at the time.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:24 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:31 pm
Gudnib wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:51 pm
Interesting. Used to go to The Grand, as far back as when they had a Circus there. Long time ago. I also, as a patternmaker, did a couple of jobs for a guy who made church furniture and once carved a rose inlet into a chair back (The Bishop's throne) of Lancaster Cathedral. I also painted the back of the Bishop's throne in Truro Cathedral. Both will be long gone now, but I was quite proud at the time.
I thought you might be interested. I used to go to The Grand on a Saturday night after the match. I can remember trapeze artists swinging up almost as far as 'the Gods', the cheapest seats in the house.

A new Bishop's throne was installed in Lancaster cathedral in 1995 when the cathedral was reordered but I think the old one might still be there in the north transept.

https://www.lancastercathedral.org.uk/h ... reordering

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:31 pm

Gudnib wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:28 am
I decided to take a small detour on the way back from Bentham yesterday. I wanted to take a look at Wennington Hall School. It looks magnificent but has only 15 pupils and is scheduled for closure in August. Got me thinking about alternative uses.

Have many been proposed, do you know? What a stunning building(s), and in such a gorgeous spot.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:47 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:31 pm
Gudnib wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:28 am

Have many been proposed, do you know? What a stunning building(s), and in such a gorgeous spot.
It is stunning and what a lovely detour it was to take in the attractive villages of Melling and Hornby. What will they do with it? I don't know but I was thinking of whether it could be used to help in some way towards the refugee crisis.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:50 pm

I feel an evening at the cinema is in order. The Phantom of the Open. The marvellous story of Maurice Flitcroft - a Barrow crane driver who winged his way into The Open at Birkdale in 76, registering the worst round in Open history.
Even as a relatively keen golfer, I do love to see someone getting one over on the game's 'stuffed shirts'. 😁

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:26 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:50 pm
I feel an evening at the cinema is in order. The Phantom of the Open. The marvellous story of Maurice Flitcroft - a Barrow crane driver who winged his way into The Open at Birkdale in 76, registering the worst round in Open history.
Even as a relatively keen golfer, I do love to see someone getting one over on the game's 'stuffed shirts'. 😁
I remember this at the time and look forward to seeing the film too. I don't think Lady G and I will be going to the flicks anytime soon though.
We do like to watch Caddyshack from time to time. We have it recorded on the SKY box.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTa94kSlV0U[/youtube]

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:00 am

If ever a picture truly spoke 1,000 words! :D

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:11 am

Gudnib wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:26 am
too. I don't think Lady G and I will be going to the flicks anytime soon though.
We do like to watch Caddyshack from time to time. We have it recorded on the SKY box.

Add Tin Cup, Happy Gilmore and The Legend of Bagger Vance to Caddyshack and I'v enjoyed a good few happy hours viewing. :D
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:20 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:11 am
Gudnib wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:26 am
too. I don't think Lady G and I will be going to the flicks anytime soon though.

Add Tin Cup, Happy Gilmore and The Legend of Bagger Vance to Caddyshack and I'v enjoyed a good few happy hours viewing. :D
Thanks for the tip TD. I haven't seen any of those. I shall pass the info on to Lady G, my culture secretary and TV schedule organiser.

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:31 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:00 am

Nice outfit though. :lol: :lol: :lol:

'This is the worst looking hat I ever saw. You buy a hat like this I'll bet you get a free bowl of soup, huh'

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:46 am

Gudnib wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:31 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:00 am

Nice outfit though. :lol: :lol: :lol:

'This is the worst looking hat I ever saw. You buy a hat like this I'll bet you get a free bowl of soup, huh'
Sometimes you have to give credit where it's due! :-)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:20 pm

Went to see the film yesterday evening - everything you'd expect it do be. It's very much in the same vein as the Eddie the Eagle film. Very uplifting. I can recommend it.

Just booked a cottage in KL for me, Morag and a borrowed dog for Easter weekend. Obviously there are several good walks in the vicinity, however, if there are any which any of you can particularly recommend then please, don't be shy.

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:43 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:20 pm
Went to see the film yesterday evening - everything you'd expect it do be. It's very much in the same vein as the Eddie the Eagle film. Very uplifting. I can recommend it.

Just booked a cottage in KL for me, Morag and a borrowed dog for Easter weekend. Obviously there are several good walks in the vicinity, however, if there are any which any of you can particularly recommend then please, don't be shy.
That sounds like a good idea. Hope the weather is like it is at present.

The KL circular walk is a must imo taking in Ruskins View and Devil's Bridge. I'd suggest doing it clockwise starting in the churchyard in the town, on to Ruskin's view, along the river bank to Devil's Bridge and then back into town for a bite to eat.

You could picnic but we had lunch in dog-friendly Plato's on our most recent visit. The soup/sandwich/coffee combo could not have been bettered for quality or value. The owner of Plato's also owns the New Inn at Yealand, one of our favourite pre-COVID haunts, and the Longlands at Tewitfield.

I'd also recommend a trip to Arnside, with a walk along the prom and shore or, for a longer walk, Arnside Nott with views to die for on a clear day. The Albion always was a good place for lunch or a pint on the front patio with views across the bay to the Lakes. It'll be quite busy at Easter but not nearly as busy as the Lakes which, I suggest, would be best avoided.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:08 am

Thank-you, gundnib - really appreciated.
We've also had Sunday roast at The King's Arms highly recommended. However, it being Easter Sunday we might be a little late for booking in now.

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:23 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:08 am
We've also had Sunday roast at The King's Arms highly recommended. However, it being Easter Sunday we might be a little late for booking in now.
You might have to book early for Sunday roast on Easter Sunday. A few out of town alternatives are:
The Barbon Inn at Barbon
The Highwayman at Burrow
The Lunesdale Arms at Tunstall
The Bay Horse Inn at Bay Horse.
The Bay Horse is the furthest from KL, about 35 minutes, and a bit pricier but it is worth it and could be combined with a pre-lunch walk round the picturesque Crook o' Lune.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:40 am

Gudnib wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:23 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:08 am
You might have to book early for Sunday roast on Easter Sunday. A few out of town alternatives are:
The Barbon Inn at Barbon
The Highwayman at Burrow
The Lunesdale Arms at Tunstall
The Bay Horse Inn at Bay Horse.
The Bay Horse is the furthest from KL, about 35 minutes, and a bit pricier but it is worth it and could be combined with a pre-lunch walk round the picturesque Crook o' Lune.
Again - greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:46 am

Why don't you see if you can get your Golf Mates to go to Barra, Bruce? You don't get golf like this on the Costa del Sol.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fvX_pdaqu4[/youtube]