Rugby Union

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Rugby Union

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:12 pm

Watched the Calcutta Cup game last week; a close affair. Thought we were a tad unlucky to lose it but, there you go.

V.Italy today, great first half, well impressed by Marcus Smith. Italy must have had a talking to at the break as they were much more competitive second half. The 33-0 scoreline says much about our defence and Italy won't be the toughest game we have. Looking forward to next week. Thought he ref was a bit pizza inclined but...
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Rugby Union 2022.

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:36 pm

Wouldn't be looking forwards to next weekend too much, mate, it's rest weekend :-) ...

Calcutta Cup, thought we were unlucky to lose, although not complaining that we did - last couple of results, we were clearly second best, thought we were the better team over 80 this time out. But don't take your chances and the oppos take theirs, then this is what happens.

Today, we're expected to win against a team that's never beat us. We did and never looked in any danger, the 0 against doesn't happen in often when you can kick three points from inside your own half. That said, the word "pedestrian" kept springing forwards. It all looked a bit laboured, not enough quick ball, not really overly incisive getting it across the back division....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:08 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:36 pm
Wouldn't be looking forwards to next weekend too much, mate, it's rest weekend :-) ...
Ah, the Women's World Cup (or something) starts Thursday. I enjoy following that, but only at international level. :wink:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:40 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:36 pm

Calcutta Cup, thought we were unlucky to lose, although not complaining that we did - last couple of results, we were clearly second best, thought we were the better team over 80 this time out. But don't take your chances and the oppos take theirs, then this is what happens.

Today, we're expected to win against a team that's never beat us. We did and never looked in any danger, the 0 against doesn't happen in often when you can kick three points from inside your own half. That said, the word "pedestrian" kept springing forwards. It all looked a bit laboured, not enough quick ball, not really overly incisive getting it across the back division....
I don't follow it. But Cowan-Dickie? Aren't these lads supposed to be bright? Worst case is a Scotland converted try (and it was out wide) but he gave away a penalty try and sin bin?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:32 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:40 pm

I don't follow it. But Cowan-Dickie? Aren't these lads supposed to be bright? Worst case is a Scotland converted try (and it was out wide) but he gave away a penalty try and sin bin?

I'll let Worthy answer that one. Cowan - Dickie is usually pretty solid.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:57 am

Oh, no doubt he's had s double brain fart. But trying to explain to the post-match that you pulled out of the attempt, only for the wing to nip in behind you and score, probably wasn't too appealing either.

As strange as it sounds, this wasn't why we lost it (in the round). We had all the territory and possession first half and went in, in arrears. I know there's starters and finishers to a plan, but we also subbed off the bloke who had all 17 of our points.

England's clinicality is quite a concern at the moment. As with yesterday, they managed to look pedestrian in a walk-over (albeit you might expect a walk-over to be pedestrian) :-)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:05 pm

Made hard work of that. Need to go up 3 or 4 gears to get anything from the last two. Dire.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:34 pm

First half no real stress; second a different story. The Welsh never give in and we should know that by now. Good to see Courtney Lawes back and Marcus Smith is a real find. Joe Marler G.O.A.T hairstyle... :D

Oh, and line-outs, almost all our opponents throw a player 27 feet in the air and give him the ball. We give it to Itoje who has six markers and.......?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:13 pm

Narrow win for France 13-9,after a match all about defences. I'm learning as I go, but know this was a good game of rugby in as much as both sides nullified each other. Wales are always dangerous second halves and dominated the last 40 mins,, but the French defence held out. Tactical rather than exciting. Dupont was claimed to be very quiet, but for me it was because Wales kept him in check so well. England France should be good, but shame we lost the Calcutta Cup.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:55 pm

Didn't catch it, but would be an 8nteresting last day if we could turn Ireland over tomorrow. Only problem, they're playing well and we've been a bit disappointing in the two we've won (probably our gest game was the one we lost)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:51 pm

Really fed up now. We played a man short and got well beaten. Wish I could say we played well....but we didn't. :(

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:30 pm

Seems this competition there's always a lack of urgency by England and no whole game focus.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:42 am

Going a man down after 90s was always going to be a tough ask. They've always got and overlap if they play it right. That the score was even after 70 minutes is testament to some excellent work rate and there was likely only one team winning the game from minute two onwards. We also lost Curry to injury early doors. So unsurprised by final score.

To Hoboh's point. I think it always feels like we use 6 nations as "try outs" for autumn internationals and WC. I'm a long way from convinced Eddie's got his timing right for next year.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:12 am

Le crunch. Despite the disparity between the two teams, I'm still fairly certain we have the firepower to make a game of this. France been excellent the last two years and improving. They're due one over us, but never say never.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:24 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:12 am
Le crunch. Despite the disparity between the two teams, I'm still fairly certain we have the firepower to make a game of this. France been excellent the last two years and improving. They're due one over us, but never say never.
France are really fast and always dangerous down the wings. Dupont at scrum half controls lots of play much like Faf Leclerc for South Africa.(Don't know what he's been up to as I only follow international rugby) but he was immense for his country. Should be a cracking game.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:46 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:24 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:12 am
France are really fast and always dangerous down the wings. Dupont at scrum half controls lots of play much like Faf Leclerc for South Africa.(Don't know what he's been up to as I only follow international rugby) but he was immense for his country. Should be a cracking game.
They hold plenty of threat, no doubt TD. It would be one against the head. Wales ran them pretty close and only one score in it v Ireland. Job 1 is keep 15 on the pitch for the full 80. The two we've lost, we didn't manage to do that.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:15 pm

Great win for Italy! Lol.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:42 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:15 pm
Great win for Italy! Lol.
Very :oyea: chuffed indeed..

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:49 pm

France are all over us. 18-6 at the break, :(

Au Revoir six nations. French defence had us by the short and curlies. Better second half, but best team won. Chanticleer is doing the crowing tonight. We didn't have a Dupont (who won M.O.T.M again.). Time to regroup and start again. Itoji looked absolutely drained.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:01 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:49 pm
France are all over us. 18-6 at the break, :(

Au Revoir six nations. French defence had us by the short and curlies. Better second half, but best team won. Chanticleer is doing the crowing tonight. We didn't have a Dupont (who won M.O.T.M again.). Time to regroup and start again.
Better in all departments TBF Tango. Occasionally you got to say best team won it....