Storm Eunice

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Storm Eunice

Post by KeyserSoze » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:48 am

How we all holding up then? I'm working from home sat next to my balcony door with a creeping dread that the wind might rip it off the hinges at some point.

Folks trying to get up to Edinburgh from Bolton today. Optimistic.

Stay safe, everyone!
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Storm Eunice

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:11 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:48 am
How we all holding up then? I'm working from home sat next to my balcony door with a creeping dread that the wind might rip it off the hinges at some point.

Folks trying to get up to Edinburgh from Bolton today. Optimistic.

Stay safe, everyone!
I'm in Manchester. How will we know the difference? :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:29 pm

Oddly enough, apart from a lack of sun, it is lovely up here. Not even a breeze!

We've had storm after storm since the New Year. So much so the locals don't reckon they've seen it so constant for so long in their lifetimes. Glad to be sitting this one out :mrgreen:

Stay safe down there.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:00 pm

Thanks Storm Eunice. The one time I try and visit Bolton! :evil:

I had booked the train for travel north after the kids school today originally (West Sussex half term where they are in school is next week, East Sussex where I work in school is this week). Anyway, school was closed thanks to the storm so thought we would sack off home learning and try going up earlier. Got a train ok at Haywards Heath late morning but ended up sitting outside London Bridge on it for ages due to something on the line. Then had to get 2 tubes (with 3 kids and the worlds heaviest bag in tow) across London to Euston where they then declared no trains were going north anywhere at all. We waited for a couple of hours but nothing changed. Made the whole journey back as far as a station 30 min north of home where the train terminated but luckily Mr GG was there to pick us up. Came back home exhausted to a broken fence and a power cut. It’s been grim down south! Anyway, hoping to head up north by car very early tomorrow morning so if anyone sees a haggard looking southerner with 3 kids in tow at the wimbledon match say Hello! I still hope to make it even if park run plans are off!

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:10 pm

There were a few in our office today going home mid-afternoon "in case they cancel the trains".

It had nothing to do with wanting an early start to the weekend, of course...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:14 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:10 pm
There were a few in our office today going home mid-afternoon "in case they cancel the trains".

After reading G.G's nightmare day, I think I may well have joined them (back a ways of course).
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:34 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:14 pm
nicholaldo wrote:

After reading G.G's nightmare day, I think I may well have joined them (back a ways of course).

Yes, but these were almost all people travelling from one side of Manchester to the other. I think the furthest any of them were travelling was to Bolton.

Colour me sceptical.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:50 am

nicholaldo wrote:

When I lived in that there London 2 hours each way often ended up being 3 or 4 hours each way - without extreme weather. Many a time I had to go on a completely different train line and get someone to drive cross country to come and get me.

I don't blame them scarpering tout suite.