Commonwealth Games.

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Commonwealth Games.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:05 pm

Watched the impressive opening ceremony, well done Brum. Early days yet,but Yee won first gold in the triathlon and our gymnastics lads won the team gold. We have some silver and bronze medals already; silver in the women's triathlon and almost a bronze. (not checked what yet as I've been reading other things too. ) Australia, as they do, are way out in front in the medal table already with 8 golds.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Commonwealth Games.

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:42 pm

What I enjoy about the Commonwealth Games is the sheer range of countries/regions/islands/bailiwicks competing. There are athletes from England, Australia, Canada but also Kiribati, Norfolk Island and Guernsey.

As per, my main interest will be in the track and field events and the marathon.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:56 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:42 pm
What I enjoy about the Commonwealth Games is the sheer range of countries/regions/islands/bailiwicks competing. There are athletes from England, Australia, Canada but also Kiribati, Norfolk Island and Guernsey.

As per, my main interest will be in the track and field events and the marathon.

We;ll probably do okay (except at Rugby where we're getting a tonking,)but I'd be well chuffed instead of Australia and co walking off with a sack-full of medals, if some of those little far-away places were to gain a few. Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales I'd love to see win a gold and Isle of Man, Jersey and names like Turks and Caicos you only ever see in stories take one home. How about it Lord? :)

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:12 pm

Enjoying the swimming and gymnastics, looking forward to netball and athletics! Wish I’d tried to get tickets now after bumping into a friend today who’s going up next week!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:00 pm

"There is nothing like a Dame!"....goeth the song words, and the amazing Dame Laura Kenny makes it five Commonwealth Golds by winning again. (They're from Bolton, you know.. :D

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:39 pm

I thought Adam Peaty's interview was disappointing even if I can understand his frustration.

In front of James Wilby too.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:12 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:39 pm
I thought Adam Peaty's interview was disappointing even if I can understand his frustration.

In front of James Wilby too.
Aye, I think we were all over expecting great things form him. Nothing lasts forever (except Laura Kenny :D ) . As a whole the England squad have been amazing especially in gymnastics ( well impressed by Cyprus who I confess I've never associated with the sport. Well done)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:57 am

"Go on", I shouted, "yes, yes...!".....and then I suddenly said, "What the xxxx are you doing, it's a BOWLS match for xxxx sake. :oops: ..Well, Francis Drake played bowls and he was no wimp.......We lost anyway to the Welsh. That hurt.

Oh, and Katerina Johnson Thompson didn't even qualify in the hurdles. :(

Morning all :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:09 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:57 am
"Go on", I shouted, "yes, yes...!".....and then I suddenly said, "What the xxxx are you doing, it's a BOWLS match for xxxx sake. :oops: .
Morning Tango :D

It's incredible how partizan we get, especially when watching events we otherwise have either no or little interest in, yet take on a new-found appreciation.

I have had a game of bowls, twice as I recall. It's been added to the list of 'Things which are a damn site more difficult than they appear' 😁
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:17 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:09 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
"Go on", I shouted, "yes, yes...!".....and then I suddenly said, "What the xxxx are you doing, it's a BOWLS match for xxxx sake. :oops: .

It's incredible how partizan we get, especially when watching events we otherwise have either no or little interest in, yet take on a new-found appreciation.

I have had a game of bowls, twice as I recall. It's been added to the list of 'Things which are a damn site more difficult than they appear' 😁
I only ever played once years ago, on a family day trip to Blackpool. I don't think they've found the jack yet... :lol:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:31 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:17 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

I only ever played once years ago, on a family day trip to Blackpool. I don't think they've found the jack yet... :lol:
I used to play years ago. Worked for Wm Townsons on Higher Swan Lane. Pub round the corner called the Sunnyside had a Bowling Green at the back. I'd go there and have a few pints at lunch time and get my end away. :mrgreen:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:40 pm

Blimey, the degree of skill/excellence in the gymnastics. Gold and Silver in the Womens' floor excercises and, if ever a country deserved a gold medal it's Cyprus. Utter class in all they did and so near, and today they got a gold. Well done them. Flying round those horizontal bars at suicide speed is terrifying. If I'd ever tried that and come off you'd have found me in Halesowen or somewhere. :shock:

Class action all round. :oyea:

p.s Love that Brummie Bull sculpture. Even if it didn't work I'd spray it gold and leave it there as a tribute to great Commonwealth games. :oyea:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:28 pm

Totally against this instant disqualification rule. Okay, rules are rules, but the offenders should get one warning before being ejected from the line up. To train all that time and then not get a chance..no, wrong wrong wrong. I also think anybody from the minor countries and paralympic contenders should get medals from their countries for entering and qualifying. What can be worse than finishing fourth in any event? Give every last one of them the recognition they deserve for their courage.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:35 pm

Great day all round, but what a brilliant 10-000 metres run by Liz McColgan's daughter Ellish.(sp). A real lung-buster by the Scots Lass. Well done.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:02 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:35 pm
Great day all round, but what a brilliant 10-000 metres run by Liz McColgan's daughter Ellish.(sp). A real lung-buster by the Scots Lass. Well done.

It really was a superbly enthralling race. The final lap was as fine an example of sheer grit and determination one could wish for.

Take a bow, Eilish McColgan.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:42 am

nicholaldo wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:02 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:35 pm

It really was a superbly enthralling race. The final lap was as fine an example of sheer grit and determination one could wish for.

Take a bow, Eilish McColgan.
Another plus one here. One of the best finishes to a race that I can recall. Incredible effort from both in that last lap. Just a shame Jess Judd couldn't nick 3rd spot from the Kenyan who finished on 1 leg.

One minor gripe - the TV coverage/camera angle on the home straight. It was much better imo in the days when they panned out and you could see the front pack and the relative distance between them rather than zooming in on the leader.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:04 am

Just one more non-English medal hope for me. I've watched a lot of athletics on T.V and cheer madly whenever wee Laura Muir runs. She is the epitome of guts and courage and no bigger than a Christmas tree fairy. Come on Laura, go get that gold. :oyea:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:33 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

Here I go again, getting all ratty about.......NETBALL! You couldn't pay me to watch it normally, but I was seething at those Kiwi Women. They had a couple of players so tall they cold clean upstairs windows without a ladder. They just stood underneath the poles and flicked he ball in the net...Ayway, our girl won, so there.. :oyea:

Don't forget little Laura runs about 11-o'clock tomorrow morning...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:49 pm

Oh, hey, you can't do tha chaps. Most unsporting..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/commonwe ... s/62427259

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:55 am

Just watched Team Talullah Thundathighs beat Team Beryl Broadbottom at Lawn Bowls.

I'm Just kidding to prove the point that what once was the pastime of the Noble Sir Francis,pensioners and retired landlords in now the domain of ponytails, tattoos and sylphlike figures in sunglasses. (will the pubs and bowling greens re-open in the light of this resurection? ). The Broadbottoms lost by the way...so I'm sulking a bit.. :( One player had the exotic surname of Pharoah...

Had a fist-clenching "Get in " as the English hockey girls beat New Zealand on a shoot out. Love beating those Antipodeans at anything.. :twisted:

Another track triumph as our girl got a well-earned silver medal in the steeplechase.

On your marks....get set... :oyea: