Curry

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Thu May 11, 2006 9:37 am

Anyone in Brum try round the Balti Triangle in Sparkhill/Sparkbrook, but lock your cars up.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Thu May 11, 2006 10:14 am

Lal Qila on the curry mile is pretty decent - reasonably priced, too

Le Snake
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Le Snake » Thu May 11, 2006 10:34 am

Which is the one that used to be Liberty Street way back? That's not bad.

Haven't had Indian for ages - it's pricey and shhhhockingly bad in Madrid - strictly for British tourists confused by Spanish menus.

Gemini
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Gemini » Thu May 11, 2006 12:19 pm

50sQuiff wrote: If anyone has any recommendations for central or West London then I'm all ears!
Rajdoot in Ruislip Manor is our favourite. Love their Tikka Masala.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu May 11, 2006 1:32 pm

Shimla Pinks accross the road from St. Mary's Parsonage in manchester is my favourite curry house, everything cooked to perfection and the finger food is just top quality

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu May 11, 2006 1:40 pm

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:It's been nearly twenty years, but the best curry I have ever had in Bolton was Tam's on Chorley Old Road.

Deeeeeeeeelish :D :D :D
Bolton's forst Indian restaurant; The Kismet" on Banks Street, upstairs next to Prestons, still has never been beaten for me.
Long time ago though now. The Royal Balti House on Market Street Farnworth wqs okay last time I went.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Barry Siddall's Sideburns
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Barry Siddall's Sideburns » Thu May 11, 2006 2:17 pm

Le Snake wrote:Which is the one that used to be Liberty Street way back? That's not bad.

Haven't had Indian for ages - it's pricey and shhhhockingly bad in Madrid - strictly for British tourists confused by Spanish menus.
I believe you are referring to The Gates - I rate that as average, flatters to deceive - whereas everyone I send to Sharju's in Adlington always comes back and says it was lovely.

Shimla Pinks' in Manchester is nice but pricey for what you get, true gourmet indian lovers should go to the Rajdoot on Albert Square. Apparently now a chain across the UK.

http://www.rajdoot.co.uk/

For anyone out in Dublin, the Jaipur in Malahide is something special, vindaloo curry crab claws, and various other unusual dishes, - class.
BSS

It's Not Where You Are; It's Where You're At. :)

Gnome
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Gnome » Thu May 11, 2006 5:14 pm

Ratbert wrote:Anyone in Brum try round the Balti Triangle in Sparkhill/Sparkbrook, but lock your cars up.
or just dont take your car! drove through there last week and i was terrified! and it was only about 5pm, but it was election day so everyone was a bit psycho :?

Keveh - all the food in Wetherspoons comes frozen and already portioned, so all the 'chef' does is take it out of the wrapper and heat it up, so probably not his fault! When i first found that out it really put me off, then i decided thats probably what most pubs do, and its alright food, and cheap so i started going again!

As for best curries, im clueless, just like hot ones :mrgreen:
Nay-Nay: so good they named me twice

"oh Nicky Hunt, should play up front, oh Nicky Hunt should play up front"

Batman

Post by Batman » Thu May 11, 2006 5:29 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:It's been nearly twenty years, but the best curry I have ever had in Bolton was Tam's on Chorley Old Road.

Bolton's forst Indian restaurant; The Kismet" on Banks Street, upstairs next to Prestons, still has never been beaten for me.
Long time ago though now. The Royal Balti House on Market Street Farnworth wqs okay last time I went.

good shout

Marshall
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Marshall » Thu May 11, 2006 5:57 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:

Long time ago though now. The Royal Balti Houseon Market Street Farnworth wqs okay last time I went.
Is that the place where it's something like 1/2 price on a tuesday?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu May 11, 2006 8:29 pm

Marshall wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

Long time ago though now. The Royal Balti Houseon Market Street Farnworth wqs okay last time I went.
Is that the place where it's something like 1/2 price on a tuesday?
Could well be M. Not been mid-week but it's a decent place but closes about 12-30 at weekends to keep the idiots out. :mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Batman

Post by Batman » Thu May 11, 2006 8:29 pm

it certainly is.

when i lived in Great Lever used to go every Weds after work with my Nan. A top place, used to eat like Kings for about a tenner each

Marshall
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Marshall » Thu May 11, 2006 8:35 pm

Batman wrote:it certainly is.

when i lived in Great Lever used to go every Weds after work with my Nan. A top place, used to eat like Kings for about a tenner each
lol yeah sounds about right that! starter, king prawn meal, keema rice and a naan bread x 4 for the family and the bills about 20 quid or something daft like that. And the food is actually bloody gorgeous and all, especially the breads.

Spice Valley as well, as someone mentioned, is a great place for a sit in meal. Must be pretty authentic stuff because you get a fair few Indians eating there. Up the road near Asda is a place called The Pavilion, which i wouldn't recommend in all honesty.

Batman

Post by Batman » Thu May 11, 2006 8:49 pm

the staff at the Balti House are tremendous too. Sri Lankan for the most part, really friendly, remembering your names and all sorts. Good lads.......must go back

fanz
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by fanz » Thu May 11, 2006 9:11 pm

Shimla pinks is the best, very cosmopolitan and excellent food. Then Alom's in Horwich is good and Moghuls in Bolton is superb as well.

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Thu May 11, 2006 9:38 pm

"best", "cosmopolitan", "excellent", "good", "superb"

Has fanz been abducted and replaced by little green men?

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Thu May 11, 2006 9:51 pm

You used to take your own nan to the curry shop? Isn't that like taking your own beer to the pub?

Batman

Post by Batman » Thu May 11, 2006 9:52 pm

she took me in when I needed a roof o'er my head

the odd curry seems like a decent swap

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Thu May 11, 2006 10:01 pm

good man batman.

Marshall
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Marshall » Thu May 11, 2006 10:07 pm

Little Green Man wrote:

You used to take your own nan to the curry shop? Isn't that like taking your own beer to the pub?
i was wondering how long it'd take for someone to crack a joke like that....