Enjoy it or endure it??

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Wed May 31, 2006 1:12 pm

Not bad where I am now. Get the freedom to mostly do what I want, am learning a bit of techie stuff and going out and around a bit. The colleagues aren't quite as friendly as my last place but I had no option but to leave there, as the boss was a major league t**t.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed May 31, 2006 1:59 pm

I've always loved my job in the university - work with great people, interactions with enthusiastic students is a bonus, lunch in the faculty club is usually interesting from the conversation point, plus I get lots of time to pursue my own research interests and publish - finally, by UK standards I get paid a very high salary (mind you, with four kids, and ex-wife and a divorce lawyer to support I need that). i have no complaints.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Wed May 31, 2006 3:11 pm

I'm lucky in that I was able to retire at 58 and don't regret it.

I did enjoy my various jobs running industrial companies and, later on in life, University type colleges in the Far East and Middle East. Was able to meet a lot of peole in a wide range of jobs in many different Countries and managed staff from over 20 different Countries. Its the interaction with people that made work enjoyable for me, but I don't miss the very long hours that I had to put in to make the systems work.

Now I spend my time playing golf, reading, gardening and enjoying the life style that Australia gives you. The only downside is that Premierleague games are always on TV late at night or very early in the mornings, but I can live with that.
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

Gnome
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Gnome » Wed May 31, 2006 6:17 pm

I enjoy my job most of the time, except today which was my first day back after holiday. i did an hour's overtime but still feel like i didnt do anything useful and as soon as i got in this morning they dragged me off for an injection :cry:

but hey, its nearly the weekend!! and i have a 3day week next week too
Nay-Nay: so good they named me twice

"oh Nicky Hunt, should play up front, oh Nicky Hunt should play up front"

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed May 31, 2006 7:19 pm

Gnome wrote:I enjoy my job most of the time, except today which was my first day back after holiday. i did an hour's overtime but still feel like i didnt do anything useful and as soon as i got in this morning they dragged me off for an injection :cry:
What is your job? Lab rat?
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Wed May 31, 2006 10:09 pm

15 years ago I lost my job. As I had little training or qualifications to do anything other than the job I was doing, I joined an agency. The only job they had (they said) was street sweeping. This is one of the best jobs I ever did. 6 weeks pushing a brush up and down London's gold paved streets soon focussed my mind on getting a proper job again and I am now a succesful Client Manager for a large statutory water company. If my job starts to get me down I think back to where I was and knuckle down again. I ain't going back there.
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed May 31, 2006 10:49 pm

enfieldwhite wrote:15 years ago I lost my job. As I had little training or qualifications to do anything other than the job I was doing, I joined an agency. The only job they had (they said) was street sweeping. This is one of the best jobs I ever did. 6 weeks pushing a brush up and down London's gold paved streets soon focussed my mind on getting a proper job again and I am now a succesful Client Manager for a large statutory water company. If my job starts to get me down I think back to where I was and knuckle down again. I ain't going back there.
I often wonder what half the people I work with would do in a job shortage. Those sort of things are great "levellers" for bringing it all back in perspective. Good on you for doing it enfield. Lot of years ago now but I had a spell of "I'll take anything" when I got made redundant. Lost the chance of a lot of jobs I'd have taken because I was "overqualified". What the hell does it matter if you're prepared to do it? Necessity is a great situation for getting your mind right.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

white blood
Promising
Promising

Post by white blood » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:19 am

its pretty good being part of a design team on a £1 Billion contract and seeing it going up, but then its also nice when a small extension ive designed pops up on the side of a house. but day to day its generally boring and tedious.
when i left school i started at a place and stayed there for six years, they taught me my trade and put me through college etc. but when i left in search of more cash, i havent been able to stay in one place for much longer than a year. I always start off happy and enjoy going to work but then i get gradually more and more bored with the same routine, same enviroment and the same boring people. then i start the cycle again somewhere else.

Bench
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bench » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:22 am

white blood wrote:its pretty good being part of a design team on a £1 Billion contract and seeing it going up, but then its also nice when a small extension ive designed pops up on the side of a house. but day to day its generally boring and tedious.
when i left school i started at a place and stayed there for six years, they taught me my trade and put me through college etc. but when i left in search of more cash, i havent been able to stay in one place for much longer than a year. I always start off happy and enjoy going to work but then i get gradually more and more bored with the same routine, same enviroment and the same boring people. then i start the cycle again somewhere else.
Architect? Structural Engineer? Services Engineer?
Smarties have answers.....

Super_Kevin_Davies
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Super_Kevin_Davies » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:24 am

Well, they always say never work with kids or animals...and I love both....and therefore work with both at the same time, I'm insane I now realise :crazy: !!!

Although, I am working with books at the minute - far easier to manage! But as of September I shall be museum and teaching bound!! And it's a rewarding job, kids can be fantastic...as well as complete, uncontrollable little monsters - even when you have a tarantula or python in your hand!!!! :shock:

white blood
Promising
Promising

Post by white blood » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:17 am

Bench wrote:
Architect - anyone need any drawings done? :wink:

Bench
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bench » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:21 am

white blood wrote:
Bench wrote:
Architect - anyone need any drawings done? :wink:
Architect, eh? The bane of my bloody life.....

Here's an old one for you......

ARCHITECTS BUDGET - Definition: The cost of construction in heaven.....
Smarties have answers.....

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:11 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
enfieldwhite wrote:15 years ago I lost my job. As I had little training or qualifications to do anything other than the job I was doing, I joined an agency. The only job they had (they said) was street sweeping. This is one of the best jobs I ever did. 6 weeks pushing a brush up and down London's gold paved streets soon focussed my mind on getting a proper job again and I am now a succesful Client Manager for a large statutory water company. If my job starts to get me down I think back to where I was and knuckle down again. I ain't going back there.
I often wonder what half the people I work with would do in a job shortage. Those sort of things are great "levellers" for bringing it all back in perspective. Good on you for doing it enfield. Lot of years ago now but I had a spell of "I'll take anything" when I got made redundant. Lost the chance of a lot of jobs I'd have taken because I was "overqualified". What the hell does it matter if you're prepared to do it? Necessity is a great situation for getting your mind right.
Cheers, TD, but with a mortgage to pay I'm up for most things. I have to say I was as fit as a whippet doing that job, and apart from the decomposing hedgehog, being chased by rats during a flash flood in the sewers and nearly being electrocuted by a roundabout sign, it was a good laugh. I even got 25 pence an hour extra for having a driving license. :mrgreen:
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:15 pm

Enjoy my job (magazine journalism) far more than I endure it, mainly due to working with excellent people who know how and when to have a laugh. But the pay's poor and 50-hr deadline weeks don't help. And unlike the majority of people, I won't be able to get hammered watching the World Cup final, given I'll be up till about 5am working to react to it.

But overall, there's no way I can complain.

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:24 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Enjoy my job (magazine journalism) far more than I endure it, mainly due to working with excellent people who know how and when to have a laugh. But the pay's poor and 50-hr deadline weeks don't help.
Two deadlines a month... admittedly frantic ones. Amazing how people change the closer to the zero hour you get. 8)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:27 pm

ratbert wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Enjoy my job (magazine journalism) far more than I endure it, mainly due to working with excellent people who know how and when to have a laugh. But the pay's poor and 50-hr deadline weeks don't help.
Two deadlines a month... admittedly frantic ones. Amazing how people change the closer to the zero hour you get. 8)
Yep. Pressure has a habit of altering people. Me, I'm still dicking about as the clock ticks past 11pm for the third successive night - legacy of all-night fanzine-making marathons. Others aren't so chirpy, especially those who have to schlepp across London at home-time (I capitulated and moved round the corner - schools are better near work anyway).

Gnome
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Gnome » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:35 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote: What is your job? Lab rat?
yeah kind of!!!! i do work in a lab, but i dont have the lowest job so im a step or 2 up from a rat whatever that may be :mrgreen:
Nay-Nay: so good they named me twice

"oh Nicky Hunt, should play up front, oh Nicky Hunt should play up front"

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:19 pm

Gnome wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote: What is your job? Lab rat?
yeah kind of!!!! i do work in a lab, but i dont have the lowest job so im a step or 2 up from a rat whatever that may be :mrgreen:
Nowt wrong with rats!! :mrgreen:

Luna
Promising
Promising

Post by Luna » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:23 pm

blurred wrote:Pretty much endure it. The perks (ie a reasonable salary and the ability to feck around all day on the internet, and suchlike) are alright I guess, but it's far from my dream job that's for sure (got knocked back from that a few months ago for a fella from Leeds... ah well, everything works out for a reason, eh?)
You contradicted yourself there. You say everything works out/happens/is there for a reason, but you had previously mentioned Leeds. And there you have it.

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:56 pm

I detest mine and think people who say they enjoy theirs are urban myths