Gardner V England

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Gardner V England

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Wed May 31, 2006 1:03 pm

someone's mentioned our ricky (can the mods possibly shift it to this thread) possibly shaping up against th'england

http://www.thereggaeboyz.com is the website to mooch through. Our Ricky's still viewed as a midfielder by the reggae boyz (yes, with a Z) but I have to say I would love to see him keep Beckham in his pocket on Saturday

Barry Siddall's Sideburns
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Barry Siddall's Sideburns » Wed May 31, 2006 5:05 pm

As a White is will be one of the highlights of the whole pre-world cup build up, hope he has shaken off his injury and does the business.

He is captain of Jamaica these days, it will be great for him.
BSS

It's Not Where You Are; It's Where You're At. :)

jonnybwfc
Promising
Promising

Post by jonnybwfc » Wed May 31, 2006 7:34 pm

I think you'll find he'll play in central midfield. That's where he was against Australia about 7 or 8 months ago.
Djorkaeff ... Djorkaeff must score ... he does ... HE DOES !!!

chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by chris » Wed May 31, 2006 10:47 pm

If he does play, I shall be supporting Jamaica.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed May 31, 2006 11:34 pm

chris wrote:If he does play, I shall be supporting Jamaica.
Oh my god!! I'm hoping he has a good game, but i bloody well want my country to win.

chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by chris » Wed May 31, 2006 11:44 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Oh my god!! I'm hoping he has a good game, but i bloody well want my country to win.
It's nothing to do with being unpatriotic. Of course I want England to well in the World Cup. But this is only a friendly (though I accept a key one), and I want to see a team with a Bolton player do well against a team without one.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:49 am

chris wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
It's nothing to do with being unpatriotic. Of course I want England to well in the World Cup. But this is only a friendly (though I accept a key one), and I want to see a team with a Bolton player do well against a team without one.
I think a convincing England win, with Ricardo scoring and having a stormer of a match would be the best scenerio.
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by chris » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:56 am

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:
chris wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
I think a convincing England win, with Ricardo scoring and having a stormer of a match would be the best scenerio.
I support us in competitive events, but I am unhappy with some issues regarding the players, particulary the £300,000 bonus issue. Hence I'm not bothered about the result in a friendly. As (/if) Gardner is playing, I now want Jamaica to win

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Post by 50sQuiff » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:42 am

Same. My allegiance is with a Bolton player, first and foremost. Especially such a long-serving and committed one.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:44 am

:conf:
I've not got a clue what one or two posters on this thread are going on about.
Supporting Jamaica just because a Bolton player happens to play for them? Where's the relevance? Am I missing something here or what because I really, really don't understand that kind of mentality?

I'm a huge fan of Ricky but other than hoping he doesn't get injured I really couldn't care less how well he plays tomorrow.

Is there something wrong with me? Because I kind of feel on my own about this one...
Businesswoman of the year.

Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:57 pm

CrazyHorse wrote::conf:
Supporting Jamaica just because a Bolton player happens to play for them? Where's the relevance? Am I missing something here or what because I really, really don't understand that kind of mentality?

I'm a huge fan of Ricky but other than hoping he doesn't get injured I really couldn't care less how well he plays tomorrow.

Is there something wrong with me? Because I kind of feel on my own about this one...
Nope, I'm with you there!!

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Post by 50sQuiff » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:19 pm

As you're so mystified, I'll play devil's advocate with this comment so please don't assume these are my exact feelings on the matter.

Can you explain your undying allegiance to a corrupt governing body, venal manager, passionless prima donna players and repulsive fans who we spend the entire season hating?

Given it's a non-competitive fixture, it's quite obvious why one would prefer to support a Bolton player.

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:25 pm

50sQuiff wrote:Given it's a non-competitive fixture, it's quite obvious why one would prefer to support a Bolton player.
Winning this would boost the players confidence, that's the most important thing that will come our of this game.

You asked how CH how he can support a team with so many bad things against them, yet the other week you were defending the habits of Diouf and how he shouldn't be a role model.

Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:36 pm

50sQuiff wrote:

As you're so mystified, I'll play devil's advocate with this comment so please don't assume these are my exact feelings on the matter.

Can you explain your undying allegiance to a corrupt governing body, venal manager, passionless prima donna players and repulsive fans who we spend the entire season hating?

Given it's a non-competitive fixture, it's quite obvious why one would prefer to support a Bolton player.
I don't have a great deal of love for Scotchmen, but when one turns up in a conflict wearing the Queens uniform he can share my trench anytime.

I have the same principle with England. You and me may detest some of the players for their personalities or actions, but while any man wears the colours of my country they have my full backing and complete support!!

Especially when they are kicking the shite out of the foriegn players we have spent all season hating.

Ask yourself how you would truly feel if you saw Beckham et al lifting the World Cup high above his head slap bang in the middle of Germany? Would you think "shite!! I was hoping Mexico would win it because a Bolton player plays for them".

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Post by 50sQuiff » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:44 pm

keveh wrote:
50sQuiff wrote:Given it's a non-competitive fixture, it's quite obvious why one would prefer to support a Bolton player.
Winning this would boost the players confidence, that's the most important thing that will come our of this game.

You asked how CH how he can support a team with so many bad things against them, yet the other week you were defending the habits of Diouf and how he shouldn't be a role model.
Erm, that was a completely different debate and completely irrelevent here as far as I can see. Where did I suggest that someone might not be keen to support England because the FA, manager, players and fans were not good role models? I was just stating some pretty obvious reasons why someone might not be inclined to support the England team.

My personal attitude towards this is that it's a non-competitive game which means very very little as the quality of the opposition will be so poor. Friendlies have been a waste of time under Sven in footballing terms too. Therefore it's pretty reasonable for someone to support a Bolton player as I see it. I'll be wearing my '66 shirt and wrapped in an England flag come the opening game of the World Cup, but I can't get myself worked up into a jingoistic fervour over a glorified England training session.
Last edited by 50sQuiff on Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:47 pm

50sQuiff wrote:Erm, that was a completely different debate and role-model status is completely irrelevent here. Where did I suggest that someone might not be keen to support England because the FA, manager, players and fans were not role models?
You didn't say say there were, but you said this:
50sQuiff wrote:venal manager, passionless prima donna players
Which suggest the manager and players are a reason not to support your country.

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Post by 50sQuiff » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:57 pm

keveh wrote:
50sQuiff wrote:Erm, that was a completely different debate and role-model status is completely irrelevent here. Where did I suggest that someone might not be keen to support England because the FA, manager, players and fans were not role models?
You didn't say say there were, but you said this:
50sQuiff wrote:venal manager, passionless prima donna players
Which suggest the manager and players are a reason not to support your country.
Indeed :conf:

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:37 pm

You were saying that we should support Diouf for his footballing quality, not judge him on his personal life.

So why should we not support England because there are some prima donna's in there, they are still excellent footballers, and they sure as hell have more passion than Diouf.

Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:40 pm

keveh wrote:You were saying that we should support Diouf for his footballing quality, not judge him on his personal life.

So why should we not support England because there are some prima donna's in there, they are still excellent footballers, and they sure as hell have more passion than Diouf.
Correct.

chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by chris » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:37 am

From an England prospective, I'm assuming the point in the match is to gain an idea of the style of Trinidad and Tobago's play. It is not the results that matters, but more what we learn from it. I genuinely believe a bad result will not affect England in the tournament itself.
If this match was a non-competive fixture twelve months ago, I would be supporting a long-serving and devoted Bolton player. I am not going to be two-faced and change that simply because it's nearly the World Cup.