Gardner V England

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Post by 50sQuiff » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:39 am

keveh wrote:You were saying that we should support Diouf for his footballing quality, not judge him on his personal life.

So why should we not support England because there are some prima donna's in there, they are still excellent footballers, and they sure as hell have more passion than Diouf.
Firstly, you seem to have ignored this:
I'll play devil's advocate with this comment so please don't assume these are my exact feelings on the matter.
As CH was confused, I offered him some possible reasons.

Secondly, do you really think so? On the pitch Diouf is one of the most committed players we have. Passionless? The man breathes fire for 90 minutes, often to his detriment. Do you ever see him not demand the ball?

Did you watch the England vs Northern Ireland game by the way? I couldn't see much Bulldog Spirit on display. In fact, when was the last time we did from the whole team, Euro 96? I'm exaggerating but you surely you see my point? More passionate than Diouf? Short memories as usual!

The other thread was about disliking a player because he's not a role model anyway. I said it was fair enough if people want to morally judge Diouf on his off-field antics did I not? (As long as other expectorating motoring offenders are 'disgusting' too of course).

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:42 am

50sQuiff wrote: Can you explain your undying allegiance to a corrupt governing body, venal manager, passionless prima donna players and repulsive fans who we spend the entire season hating?

Yes, on two counts. Firstly I'm a football fan, so rational argument and logical thought processes don't come into it. Secondly, I'm English, and very proud of the fact.

I would be willing to bet that those views are shared by most of the mainly silent majority.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

durham_wanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by durham_wanderer » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:48 am

Im the same as Chris, I'll cheer a gardner goal today more than any of englands. Im BWFC 1st, england 2nd and I can't understand any bolton fan who doesn't see themselves in that way.

The one thing I dont like about england is how our fans constantly think we are one of the world's best teams and that we have a really good chance of winning everything we enter, when really they aren't all that good...Fans thinking like this is the exact reason you have all been putting newcastle/citeh/west ham/everton at the top of your most hated prem teams!!

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:28 pm

durham_wanderer wrote:Im the same as Chris, I'll cheer a gardner goal today more than any of englands.
Well no need for split loyalty's as Ricky is not even in the squad!

Jamaica: Ricketts, Garfield Reid, Claude Davis, Damion Stewart, Daley, Hue, Taylor, Euell, Campbell-Ryce, Shelton, Fuller. Subs:Sawyers, Demar Stewart, Morrison, Stephenson, Jermaine Johnson, Kerr, Bennett, Burton, Crawford.

Would you cheer a Jermaine Johnson (ex-wanderer) goal or a Donovan Ricketts (ex-wanderer) penalty save?

Marshall
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Marshall » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:35 pm

Thank Christ we didn't sign Ricketts!

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:38 pm

Long balls, set pieces.

People wont be complaining about ugly football if we win the world cup like this!

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:39 pm

50sQuiff wrote:Secondly, do you really think so? On the pitch Diouf is one of the most committed players we have. Passionless? The man breathes fire for 90 minutes, often to his detriment. Do you ever see him not demand the ball?
What you are seeing is not Diouf being passionate, it's him whinging and moaning.

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:04 pm

keveh wrote:Long balls, set pieces.

People wont be complaining about ugly football if we win the world cup like this!
As you know, it's only bad if we do it. According to John Motson, who took a breath in the wrong place, Jamaica have the king of Watford playing for them.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:06 pm

How shxt are Jamaica? :shock:

Good to see Owen score, that will do him no harm at all. Beckham is on fire going into the WC. Put him on the bench and bring Lennon on in the second half, I really would hate to lose him becuase of a freak tackle. Fare play to Crouch as well, nobody in the commentery team mentioned Rooney once in the first half. I think that was down to his performance so far.
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:40 pm

The only concern I have with this match is how God awful Cambell was, I mean seriously dreadful. He was slow and needed a second player to save him every time!!

A big concern for the World Cup.
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:48 pm

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:The only concern I have with this match is how God awful Cambell was, I mean seriously dreadful. He was slow and needed a second player to save him every time!!

A big concern for the World Cup.
I didn't see that.

They hardly got in to our half for them to trouble him enough.

He's not going to be a starter though is he, he also needs match practice. I don't think that Rio should be starting, it should be Terry and Carra.

Gnome
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Gnome » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:06 pm

not much new to say on the game itself but what the hell was the Jamaican anthem&why was Frankie from Corrie singing ours?
Nay-Nay: so good they named me twice

"oh Nicky Hunt, should play up front, oh Nicky Hunt should play up front"

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:39 am

50sQuiff wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote::conf:
I've not got a clue what one or two posters on this thread are going on about.
Supporting Jamaica just because a Bolton player happens to play for them? Where's the relevance? Am I missing something here or what because I really, really don't understand that kind of mentality?

I'm a huge fan of Ricky but other than hoping he doesn't get injured I really couldn't care less how well he plays tomorrow.

Is there something wrong with me? Because I kind of feel on my own about this one...
As you're so mystified, I'll play devil's advocate with this comment so please don't assume these are my exact feelings on the matter.

Can you explain your undying allegiance to a corrupt governing body, venal manager, passionless prima donna players and repulsive fans who we spend the entire season hating?

Given it's a non-competitive fixture, it's quite obvious why one would prefer to support a Bolton player.
I have an undying allegiance because I'm English and I love football. Unfortunately as an Englishman and a fan of football I don't have any other choice than to support a team of passionless prima donna players led by a venal manager controlled by a corrupt governing body.

As for the fans, they're only repulsive because they support West Ham or Spurs or whoever! Outside of when Bolton play the teams I for one am indifferent towards said fans; we're all English at the end of the day.

I realise you're playing devil's advocate but I don't think there is any difference between a friendly or a game in anger; I still want England to win, I still enjoy the games, I still hate to see us lose.

When you say you want to support a Bolton player over your national team that's entirely up to you but it seems such a complicated way of supporting the game to me. I prefer to keep it simple myself - I'm English and I'll always follow England no matter what.

Let me now ask you a question Quiffy. You asked me how I can have an undying allegiance to a corrupt FA and manager/players etc so I wonder would you still not have an undying allegiance to Bolton should they ever face a buyout which turns us into a corrupt team? I know I'd still be Bolton through and through no matter what the state of the owners, manager and team is. Same for England.
Businesswoman of the year.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:46 am

does anyone actually have any allegiance to the FA or the players themselves? Or is it the case that it is your national team and you'll support them no matter what, much in the same way you would Bolton. Would you stop supporting Bolton if we signed Savage, Keane and Bellamy, Pardew was our manager and Simon Jordan our chairman. (ok maybe that's pushing it, Jordan as chairman, but you know what I mean)
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house