Lecturers' strike

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

chris
Reliable
Reliable

Lecturers' strike

Post by chris » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:51 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/5034212.stm

I'm getting fed up with this now.
The lecturers are saying they care about the students, but I believe they are doing this in the wrong way.
I am, as far as I know, not going to be affected, and am only in my second year, but to do this in a way that may affect people's graduation is unacceptable.
I believe they do deserve more money, but do not agree with their methods.
I also don't understand why the NUS are supporting the strikes.

What does anyone else, particulary other students think?

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:10 pm

You studying at Exeter then chris (I'm doing distance learning there, would be interested to know what's going on).

Sadly, its always those that have done nothing that suffer - holding them to ransom never works.

Bench
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bench » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:12 pm

Well, you know what they say....

Those who can't.....Teach.....
Smarties have answers.....

durham_wanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by durham_wanderer » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:25 pm

Here at Durham the problem isn't really as big as elsewhere, the lecturers, although striking, realise that they have to meet research deadlines in order to maintain the prestige Durham has, and so are putting this as a greater priority than striking, so everything here has maintained normality.

The NUS is a waste of time anyway, we're considering pulling out of it, I'd much prefer students here to be spending my money and deciding what position we take on issues like this rather than some external organsiation like the NUS.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:37 pm

We're constantly getting emails from the Students' Union, the AUT and the Vice-Chancellor all saying that we should sit the exams as normal.

If I was graduating this year I'd be concerned but it's not so much of a big deal to me.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by chris » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:45 pm

ratbert wrote:You studying at Exeter then chris (I'm doing distance learning there, would be interested to know what's going on).

Sadly, its always those that have done nothing that suffer - holding them to ransom never works.
I heard, but am not sure if it's true that at the original strike, only four lecturers were on a picket line.
Our Guild of Students (Student Union) is not supporting the NUS. The student newspaper gives a lot of negative publicity about some things the NUS have been saying (or not saying), though it's blatantely biased.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:50 pm

Based on having a new Jag and owning a half-a-million pound house I suppose they do need a rise. By normal standards they get paid more than I do, and get a damn sight more holidays. :evil:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:54 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Based on having a new Jag and owning a half-a-million pound house I suppose they do need a rise. By normal standards they get paid more than I do, and get a damn sight more holidays. :evil:
I dare you to say that to a teacher! They'll harp on about how difficult their job is, about all the marking and the lesson planning and sorting out timetables. It's like they're the only people in the world who work unpaid overtime, accept that in the grand scheme of things they aren't unpaid, given the long breaks over, half term, summer, Christmas and Easter etc.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Bench
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bench » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:10 pm

communistworkethic wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Based on having a new Jag and owning a half-a-million pound house I suppose they do need a rise. By normal standards they get paid more than I do, and get a damn sight more holidays. :evil:
I dare you to say that to a teacher! They'll harp on about how difficult their job is, about all the marking and the lesson planning and sorting out timetables. It's like they're the only people in the world who work unpaid overtime, accept that in the grand scheme of things they aren't unpaid, given the long breaks over, half term, summer, Christmas and Easter etc.
As the mighty CAPSLOCK would say....

tis all PLUM. :mrgreen:
Smarties have answers.....

Gnome
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Gnome » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:32 pm

I know they're just trying to make a point, but the timing of this is all wrong, students are relying on these results and it could be affecting their futures.

why couldnt they refuse to teach a term or something, then at least the students would have the option to do something about it - ie go read up and teach themselves, at least then they'd have a chance

Lecturers may not get paid as much as they'd like, but the majority of them will have earned enough from their previous jobs gaining all the experience and knowledge they're supposed to have that they dont need more
Nay-Nay: so good they named me twice

"oh Nicky Hunt, should play up front, oh Nicky Hunt should play up front"

durham_wanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by durham_wanderer » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:24 pm

Gnome wrote:I know they're just trying to make a point, but the timing of this is all wrong, students are relying on these results and it could be affecting their futures.

why couldnt they refuse to teach a term or something, then at least the students would have the option to do something about it - ie go read up and teach themselves, at least then they'd have a chance

Lecturers may not get paid as much as they'd like, but the majority of them will have earned enough from their previous jobs gaining all the experience and knowledge they're supposed to have that they dont need more
Most of the lecturers here have other jobs along with being a lecturer, usually as a government advisor (my environmental economics lecturer advises the italian government on economic policy, good luck to her haha) or as an author on their field.

To be honest it's fair for them to be striking as many could earn a hell of a lot more than they do if they were to switch to the private sector.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:32 pm

so why don't they if money is what drives them?

You see, teaching is not a job you go in to to earn lots of money, you know that when you get in to it. You know that there will be marking etc but you go in to it as it's what you want to do. You accept that it pays less because you're driven by the desire to teach not the money it pays.

If you want lot's of money be a lawyer, stockbroker or plastic surgeon, not a teacher. That said lecturers are hardly on the bread line...

current vacancy at Birmingham Uni...

Senior Lecturer/Lecturer in Economic Geography

School/department:
School of Geography, Earth and Environmental Sciences
Grade: AT 8
Starting salary: £31,525 - £44,947
Hours: Full time

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

durham_wanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by durham_wanderer » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:20 pm

jesus all that money just to teach "tinpot courses" as I remember you describing them...Saying that bham uni is pretty sh*t

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:43 pm

communistworkethic wrote:so why don't they if money is what drives them?

You see, teaching is not a job you go in to to earn lots of money, you know that when you get in to it. You know that there will be marking etc but you go in to it as it's what you want to do. You accept that it pays less because you're driven by the desire to teach not the money it pays.

If you want lot's of money be a lawyer, stockbroker or plastic surgeon, not a teacher. That said lecturers are hardly on the bread line...

current vacancy at Birmingham Uni...

Senior Lecturer/Lecturer in Economic Geography

School/department:
School of Geography, Earth and Environmental Sciences
Grade: AT 8
Starting salary: £31,525 - £44,947
Hours: Full time
That's a wonderful theory Commie. Where would you be if your teachers where all sub standard in their field? That is what you would end up with if you paid for skill and people took jobs that paid equal to their skill level.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:00 pm

who mentioned anything to do with skill?

it's about what drives you to do a given job.

the uk average salary is approximately £25k, lecturers are not badly paid, even for tin pot courses.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:00 pm

communistworkethic wrote:I dare you to say that to a teacher! They'll harp on about how difficult their job is, about all the marking and the lesson planning and sorting out timetables.
I have quite a few mates that are teachers, and that's pretty much word for word the stuff that they all come out with. All, that is, except for one. The one that used to work on Oil Rigs and will happily tell you that "He's on a shagger" teaching.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:50 pm

communistworkethic wrote:
I'll say it to any teacher. Every morning I'm in work before 7-30, rarely get an uninterrupted lunch break (an hour, you must be joking) have every member of staff thinking their little problems are the most important thing on the planet and finish at 5-0. On top of that I leave home every day just after 6-30 and get back just before 6-0. As Facilities Manager I'm responsible for just about everything that happens outside of a pc screen (and some things that do) in an office of 40 staff. I won't bore you with the details but it's an awful lot of responsibility and I work alone. Would I be a teacher? Too right I would.

I'm not knocking teachers; they do a valuable job, but you're right, they are always on about how hard they work and how hard done by they are.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

LeeRoyBrown
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by LeeRoyBrown » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:03 pm

I'm at Aberystwyth Uni. one of the ones worst hit, i'm in my first year so i'm okay as it doesn't affect me nearly as much as those sitting there final exams, but i have sat all my exams, unsure if they'll be marked.

I think it's ridiculous. Lecturers are well paid. The government is investing a large amount of money in universitys and the lecturers, basically, want a slice and quite a big slice, too.

I forget the name of the committee which is overseeing the large investment, but apparently they agreed with the lecturers a pay rise of 20+%, but are now refusing to give it. Hence why the 11.5% was rejected.

It's all bollocks, but as a student i'm getting a little frustrated with the petulance of the lecturers. I don't believe they would justify such a huge pay rise. I left uni on may 27th, i have 4 months off.....Lecturers may still be working but i can't imagine its all that tough at the minute.

Ahh life is tough :D :pissed: :mrgreen:

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:41 am

if you want lot's of money be a lawyer, stockbroker or plastic surgeon, not a teacher.
Wouldnt that mean that you would lose qualified lecturers to the private sector.? I am not sure their replacements would be as sharp as they are.

I have a lot of respect for many positions that do so much for us. The Police (I dont trust them, but they do a valuable job) The Firefighters (bravest people on the planet that dont get shot at) Teachers (Thankless job teaching tomorrow's citizen's) last but not least the Military (no explination needed)

Politicians should get nowt, and these people should be paid the real money.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:55 am

americantrotter wrote:
if you want lot's of money be a lawyer, stockbroker or plastic surgeon, not a teacher.
Wouldnt that mean that you would lose qualified lecturers to the private sector.? I am not sure their replacements would be as sharp as they are.

Don't think you can make that leap of logic there AT, as obviously people already make that choice and you can't say that all the brightest have gone to the private sector and the dregs have been left to lecture.