Lecturers' strike

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

wovlad
Promising
Promising
Location: Underneath the squeaky floorboard, behind the kitchen dresser

Post by wovlad » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:06 am

Bench wrote:Well, you know what they say....

Those who can't.....Teach.....
I'm in total agreement.

Winter Hill White
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Winter Hill White » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:10 pm

Into the lion's den . . .

Here's my two penn'orth for what it's worth.

My first proper grown-up job after finishing studying was as a teacher. I have to say it was the most draining, time-consuming job I've done. It probably felt like that because I didn't really enjoy it, and because I was a fairly crap teacher. It was also because I made a vague attempt to be conscientious. There's plenty of teachers out there taking the piss, and they merit all the slating that this forum has given them. Teaching is a really easy job to plod along in, especially when you've been doing it a few years. And you can get away with plodding along. Like I say, I was fairly rubbish, but you'd have to be absolutely awful to attract any sort of sanction. And it seems to be nigh on impossible to sack a teacher.
Pay wasn't great to start with, but has got a lot better in recent years. Good thing about the job is the geographical flexibility. If you fancy moving to Bolton, Boston or Birmingham, chances are you'll find a job there.
I only stuck it two years. Wasn't enjoying it enough to merit all the work I did. And it wasn't fair on me or the pupils to have somebody teaching who didn't want to be doing it.

Getting out of teaching was the best thing I ever did. I always get annoyed with people moaning at work because to be honest I think what I'm doing now is money for old rope compared to teaching. I would never go back. I spend loads more hours actually in work now, but it doesn't feel like it. And there's other things - I could never switch off or take it easy teaching. Now, if I've had a few beers the night before, I can ease myself into the day slowly with a brew and a sit down. Not possible when teaching.

Anyhow, bored you enough now.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:44 pm

I dont see why people on good terms and conditions shouldnt protest when those very conditions are under threat. It upsets me that some peoples response to this is "I dont get that, why should they?" when there response should be "They have good terms and conditions, why cant I?" and then organise themselves to achive parity in their own workplace.

Nobody likes losing a days pay, however much they're on, or affecting other peoples lives, but at times people have to make a stand. The majority of their members voted for action so must reallly believe it to be their only course of action. Good luck to em I say.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"