Borgetti plays vs. Netherlands

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

furiamex
Hopeful
Hopeful

Borgetti plays vs. Netherlands

Post by furiamex » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:00 pm

Bolton's very own World Cup rep Borgetti plays today vs. Netherlands. It will be a very difficult match for Mexico, specially given the latest result against France and a some very unfortunate and controversial statements made a couple days ago by head coach, argentinian Ricardo La Volpe. Here in Mexico we are all a bit nervous since this ought to be a really tough match against some very formidable players, but we all wish Jared and the team best of luck, and hope Borgetti scores a couple.
Pro-Aguila, anti-chiputas and above all, let soccer reign.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:03 pm

I hope he bangs them in. Maybe Sam will see what type of player to buy to set-up a decent striker then.

durham_wanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by durham_wanderer » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:19 pm

If your still around furiamex, do you know of any way over the internet that I could either watch/listen to the game??

furiamex
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by furiamex » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:43 pm

Looks like they are going to broadcast it at http://www.myp2p.eu/index.htm/. Just go to "football-weekdays" and it's listed there (it's similar to asianplate). Another option is http://www.audiogol.com/. Just click the Mexican flag and the "tv" icon. Enjoy.

furiamex
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by furiamex » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:21 pm

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORGETTI SCOOOOOOOOOOOOORESSSS!!!!!!!

durham_wanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by durham_wanderer » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:25 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Hope sam's watching the game tonight!!!! Good goal??

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:25 pm

And it only took 19 minutes as well.

What was that about an article on the front page? ;)
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Panda
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Panda » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:31 pm

It was a header from a corner.
He lost his marker (Kuijt) and had a free header.
Terrible defending.

Panda
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Panda » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:41 pm

It was aginst the run of play - just before he scored there a stat that the posession was
Holland 87% Mexico 13%.

Hope he carries on the scoring next season.

furiamex
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by furiamex » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:42 pm

Final score, Mexico 1 - 2 Netherlands

Well the dutch made a come back to take the match. Good news is that Borgetti scored Mexico's only goal and played a very solid first half. During the first 45 minutes Mexico played with 4 forwards and looked very good. At the start of the second half Mexico made four changes, leaving Borgetti alone in the front, and the team lost it completely. The Netherlands scored twice early in the second half and without much offensive punch, it was hard to make a come back for the TRI. On a positive note, four changes won't be allowed at once during the World Cup, so we won't see any of that nonsense during the tournament. I thought the French team played a bit better than the dutch.

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:23 am

I better find a bookies and put my tenner on him being golden boot!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:20 am

Interesting that Mexico were not up to much when the Borg was left up front on his own though! Would not be in line with the way Sam plays sometimes. If Borgetti could add holding up the ball to his scoring talent and maybe beef up a little I for one would think he would succeed in the Prem. Glad he scored though, well done.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:07 am

Saw some of the highlights of the match this morning on Eurosport (might be repeated later). Excellent movement fom the Mexican forwards for the goal: inswinging corner from the right going along the six-yard line, Borg runs laterally from back post to front - completely losing his marker (Heitinga, I think) due to a chum dragging his own marker in the opposite direction, if you see what I mean. Good leap, firmly thumped header, and 1-0 to the Mexico with a goal that wouldn't look out of place in a Bolton strip.

Can't say much more about the (it's hard to watch a game while dressing and breakfasting two 4-year-olds!) but I do know from talking to a Dutch chum that Holland played their reserves. It's also intriguing that they came from a goal behind, given that they didn't concede in their last 10 qualifiers so being a goal down is almost an alien concept to a young, mainly domestic-based team.

Roll on next weekend! Can't wait for the World Cup to start, especially with the absence of occurrences in BW World...

Barry Siddall's Sideburns
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Barry Siddall's Sideburns » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:53 am

hoboh2o wrote:Interesting that Mexico were not up to much when the Borg was left up front on his own though! Would not be in line with the way Sam plays sometimes. If Borgetti could add holding up the ball to his scoring talent and maybe beef up a little I for one would think he would succeed in the Prem. Glad he scored though, well done.
I think we also know that a certain Mr M Owen doesn't like being up front on his own either - BSA should employ 4-4-2 variation more often, as this guy clearly knows where the goal is given the right service.
BSS

It's Not Where You Are; It's Where You're At. :)

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:48 pm

Good goal by Borgetti but apart from that a dire loss against Holland B. Honestly Mexico earned every negative comment Wanderers have ever got about boring football. Great performance by Kuyt though, he will be one to watch.

To all of you singing Marquez's praises, I challenge you to find anything he did in that game that warrants his place at Barcelona.

picaro
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by picaro » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:56 pm

Lavolpe was testing out a largely attacking formation. for the most part Borg, Franco, Bravo, Fonseca will not be on the pitch at the same time and his new strategy of playing Franco behind Borg is reaping no benefits. That's what friendlies are for...on that note great game by the Dutch, definitely showed more pace and heart than the overpaid hacks in green!

Hate to say it, but the Borg may only get one complete game in the first round and that would be against Portugal. I would prefer to see a Franco and Fonseca up front and maybe Borg on as a substitute

furiamex
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by furiamex » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:00 pm

picaro wrote:Lavolpe was testing out a largely attacking formation. for the most part Borg, Franco, Bravo, Fonseca will not be on the pitch at the same time and his new strategy of playing Franco behind Borg is reaping no benefits. That's what friendlies are for...on that note great game by the Dutch, definitely showed more pace and heart than the overpaid hacks in green!

Hate to say it, but the Borg may only get one complete game in the first round and that would be against Portugal. I would prefer to see a Franco and Fonseca up front and maybe Borg on as a substitute
I wasn't impressed by the dutch during the first half. They held the ball most of the time but passed it to their golie nth number of times. And we all know that Mexico won't be using the formation of the second half. We have yet see Luis Perez and Guardado. I would use Borgetti as a starter and the other younger and faster forwards as substitutes on rotation in the second half of games. Two losses but overall good enough performances that should allow the Mexican squad to make it to the next round; I would be very surprised if they didn't.

picaro
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by picaro » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:17 pm

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:51 pm

That wasnt poor marking, that was a well worked play.