Which would you rather happen?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

England win World Cup
31%
Bolton win FA Cup
69%

Total votes: 32

chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by chris » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:58 pm

England win the World Cup, or Bolton win the FA Cup. Personally, I'd have to go with Bolton.

Sorry if this has come up before

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:00 pm

I used to say Bolton, but now that's an attainable goal with Sammy in charge. I think a World Cup win would mean more to me right now. Having said that, I am less enamored with the National Team after 5 years in the Prem.

Bench
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bench » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:55 pm

Interesting question there Chris.

If you're interested, an article was written some time ago on this very subject. Very thought provoking it is too and I happen to agree with every word. Club every day of the week and three times on Saturday. England is just a fancy but nice diversion....

Club or Country? by Chic Charnley
Smarties have answers.....

Batman

Post by Batman » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:14 pm

I'd have to go with Bolton too

Frankie Wanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Frankie Wanderer » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:44 pm

Bolton all the way. Given the question.

But as an x pat - it would be nice to see England win in the "fatherland" yet again.
Frankie says " on the day that your mentality catches up with your biology, come round. "

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:26 pm

I'd rather Bolton won one game than England win the world cup..

But I'll still be supporting the National Team in a week's time.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:57 pm

I'd go with England, just for the pure euphoria that will surround the country.

Not matter who you are or who you support, everybody comes together.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:04 pm

Well, I'd like both please. But, if I must choose, it's Bolton Wanderers every time!
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:57 pm

As a slight aside, the new stock at the club shop is this 'Club & Country' stuff. I've bought a t-shirt that displays both my local and national allegiance for when in Frankfurt next week. :wink:
May the bridges I burn light your way

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Post by 50sQuiff » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:21 pm

Very topical atm Chris, so no harm in this poll. The last time we went over this old chestnut was over a year ago. Chic's old article is still one of our best for my money.

Easy one for me. Bolton: the people, the town and the club mean 10 times more to me than the national team ever could. Forget national euphoria, imagine what winning the Cup would do for the town!

Batman

Post by Batman » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:10 am

England fans in Manchester today - thuggish racist idiots, mindless morons, most of the reason I begrudge supporting the side.
This Bolton fan in Manchester today - remarkably stylishin 1999 shirt, despite being dragged round the f-cking knicker shops for two hours with the girlfriend

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Post by 50sQuiff » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:28 am

Batman wrote:England fans in Manchester today - thuggish racist idiots, mindless morons, most of the reason I begrudge supporting the side.
This Bolton fan in Manchester today - remarkably stylishin 1999 shirt, despite being dragged round the f-cking knicker shops for two hours with the girlfriend
I bet the fickle plastic fans that masquarade as 'England Supporters' weren't booing Crouch today. Cocks.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:33 pm

Just a couple of points.

Many people older than I complain about the breed of post-Euro96 supporter, I'm probably too young to know for sure but I'm pretty sure I know what they're on about and a World Cup win would be something similar.

I imagine a World Cup win wouldn't do us any favours for ticket prices around the country either if the Premiership bubble started to inflate futher..
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:54 pm

keveh wrote:I'd go with England, just for the pure euphoria that will surround the country.

What kev said. People who say they're not that bothered if England win the World Cup will be the first out celbrating if it happens.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:33 pm

keveh wrote:I'd go with England, just for the pure euphoria that will surround the country.

Im with you there, Bolton to win the FA cup would be brilliant dont get me wrong, but this is the world cup and we can have such pride in being 'from the best footballing nation in the world'

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:23 pm

Think some of us have very short memories!

It was only a season or so back that we were playing a 'reserve' team in all the cup matches (including the FA Cup). We even put out our reserves in the early UEFA rounds last season.

The FA Cup may be the biggest cup competition in England but it cannot be compared in anyway to the interest the World Cup will generate globally.

I guess a similar comparison would be - Which would you prefer, a Bolton athlete winning the English title or a English / British athlete winning an Olympic Gold?

I like many others care little as to what England do from one friendly to another (or even in most qualifying competitions) but when the World or European Cups start properly then I will be cheering them on!

The FA Cup is an annual event were many of the 'bigger' teams do not take seriously until the later rounds of the competition - that is why teams like Millwall and West Ham make the final's and the Arsenal's, Liverpool's etc 'reserve' sides do not! Lets be honest the FA Cup is not as prestigious as it once was.

Yes it would be great to win the FA Cup - but it cannot be compared to the difficulty of beating Poland, Portugal, Brazil and then Germany that potentially England would have to do to win the World Cup in this years competition.

It's the World Cup for me.

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:30 pm

What Sluffy said :D

Perfect.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:48 pm

I agree with you sluffy about not caring about friendly matches and only slightly caring about Qualifying games, but when all that is going on it's Bolton who we can spend as much as £100 on to see one league game compared to the England who I watch every game on a screen (and if I were to attend I'd be sat in front of some pillock with an air horn).

Like I said I'll be supporting England as much as the next man but it's something to fill the summer until the new season starts. To see Bolton win something is the be all and end all for me.

We'll probably have to agree to disagree :)

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:52 pm

Athers wrote:We'll probably have to agree to disagree :)
I don't think we are disagreeing by much really.

Like most of us Bolton is our club and as such we follow them week by week. We all want Bolton to do well and have seen them in recent years in two League Cup finals and a FA Cup Semi at Wembley. Not quite winning something to hold aloft on an open top bus parade - but not bad either considering the league success and venture in to Europe as well.

I actually think Bolton as a great chance of winning a cup competition soon as realistically only about 16 clubs are capable of doing that these days and as I said several of these do not take the competitions seriously in the early rounds and thus get knocked out.

However the World Cup comes around every 4 years and these days nearly every team is capable of beating any other on the day.

I would love Bolton to win the FA Cup but in all honesty England winning the World Cup would be by far the finest achievement by comparison if they were to do so.

Steady
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Steady » Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:56 pm

No brainer for me, Bolton to win the FA Cup. And that doesn't mean that I won't be supporting England in Germany, or celebrating if a miracle happened and we actually won the thing, it just means that Bolton mean more to me and I would rather see them lifting trophies than England.