Monsters of Rock

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Monsters of Rock

Post by enfieldwhite » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:25 pm

Venue: Milton Keynes
Date: 3rd June 2006

Bands: Roadstar/Ted Nugent/Queensryche/Thunder/Journey/Alice Cooper/Deep Purple

Fantastic day. Ditched the nipper with friends for a 'sleepover'. Schlepped up the M1, first pint at 11.00am (very rare event in the last 15 years) Into the Bowl for 12.30 just as Roadstar struck up. Never heard them before but they sounded tight and a couple of catchy choruses. Think I'll buy their new album.

Next up, the Great Gonzo himself. Absolutely ripped the sh*t out of his roadies for the Bass guitar failing at the top of the set, but things went pretty well after that with a lot of the old standards being trolled out including the obligatory 'Cat Scratch fever', which I missed seeing as I had to go pee :cry:

Queensryche screeched through their set and in and out of my life again. Never liked 'em.

Then Thunder. Perhaps one of the most underrated bands of the late eighties and early nineties. Danny Bowes voice sounds like I wish mine did. They are ballsy cock(ne)y rockers with a bank holiday vibe to every song thay sing. Shame about them not doing 'back street symphony', but at least they gave us the England final score and scorers. Top blokes.

Journey came on next. Now, I love Journey. Escape was a seminal album for me, growing up, and my wedding dance was 'don't stop believin' and this was one of the highlights of the day. Powerful vocals, and some of the best power ballads you'll ever hear.

Alice Cooper was the penultimate act. I'd never seen him before, I'll never see him again, but that's not to say he didn't contribute positively to the day. His theatrics didn't really lend themselves to the arena setting and as the screens weren't working for him, anyone more than 100 feet from the stage wouldn't have seen anything. Still, good old Alice sent afew goths away happy, so that's alright.

Deep Purple. I love Deep Purple. I especially like the Mark II line up. Ian Gillan is one of the finest singers of his genre. This was not the 'classic' line up (Steve Morse for Ritchie Blackmore and Don Airey for Jon Lord) but I honestly didn't notice or even miss them. A shorter than expected set (overruning on the day) included Highway Star, Strange kind of Woman, Smoke on the Water, Speed King and even a cool version of Hush that Kula Shaker should take note of (grrr)

At 11.00 pm a very pissed but very happy enfieldwhite strolled out of the MK bowl singing Whitesnakes 'ain't gonna cry no more today' for no other reason than I can.

We didn't arrive back in Enfield 'til 2.30 am because of those bastard roadworks on the M1, but even that couldn't spoil what was a superb day.

The reason for posting this? Dunno. But if anyone else went I'd love to hear your experiences.
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:30 pm

Sorry Enfield, but me and you have now formally fallen out, the minute I read that Thunder were there!! :evil:

Ya jammy shite ya!! :P
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:37 pm

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:Sorry Enfield, but me and you have now formally fallen out, the minute I read that Thunder were there!! :evil:

Ya jammy shite ya!! :P
This'll really brass you off then. After their set they kicked out about fifteen 'official' fifa footballs, signed by the band. I didn't get one, but I nearly mugged some snot nosed kid who did :wink:

Batman

Post by Batman » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:59 pm

Got a ticket for Download nest week, but not my cup of tea so am looking to flog it.

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:02 pm

Batman wrote:Got a ticket for Download nest week, but not my cup of tea so am looking to flog it.
Not my cup of tea either, sorry. I don't own a skateboard or know what a 'gnarly' is, erm dude :mrgreen:

Batman

Post by Batman » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:02 pm

Me neither, looks too much like a Rosie Webster festival if you arsk me.

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:09 pm

Batman wrote:Me neither, looks too much like a Rosie Webster festival if you arsk me.
Pretty much sums it up. :|

Gnome
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Gnome » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:36 pm

lol i know a few people who are going and wouldnt mind betting they'd be Rosie's mates if they could.

Myself, im off some place decent - British Grand Prix woo hoo, off on Thursday for a weekend of getting pissed and watching cars and big screen footy :pissed:
Nay-Nay: so good they named me twice

"oh Nicky Hunt, should play up front, oh Nicky Hunt should play up front"

Marshall
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Marshall » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:38 pm

There are some decent bands playing at Download to be fair...

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:40 pm

Id love to pay 100 quid plus to wath some planes with wheels boot around in circles for 48 hours

:conf: I really dont see the attraction but its all about personal taste so fair play

Batman

Post by Batman » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:42 pm

I find motor racing to be so damn dull but hey who am I to argue.

Gnome
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Gnome » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:44 pm

ah no its not, but the best bit about it is 3 days off work drinking and (hopefully) sunning myself with my friends.

and there's the Red Arrows and helicopters and parachutists :mrgreen:
Nay-Nay: so good they named me twice

"oh Nicky Hunt, should play up front, oh Nicky Hunt should play up front"