Paraguay vs England

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

picaro
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by picaro » Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:51 pm

i grew up a short jaunt from Frankfurt and have seen the "new" Waldstadion (pretty decent" and even watched my first NFL match (actually NFL Europe) at the "old" Waldstadion. England should win this but may have a player booked red and the Paraguay defense may injure a player as well.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:51 pm

Nearly game time. Listening to Jerusalem and God Save the Queen. The Boddington's and Bass is cold in the fridge. Come on England!!!!!!!!!!

Super_Kevin_Davies
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Super_Kevin_Davies » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:12 pm

I hoped I might get away with not learning what the score was until I can get home from work to watch a recording of the game - but the screams that came from seemingly every shop/pub but the one that I am in after 3 minutes make me think I will be kept up to date with what is going on!!! :?

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:59 pm

Good cross from Beckham but England let them back in the game. We need to press on in the second half as Paraguay are looking more dangerous as the game goes on.

Ou of interest my daughter thinks that Crouch jumps like a starfish, all arms and legs. Quite a good description I thought.
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:59 pm

So far so good. Half time and I-O up. Paraguay, in typical South American style, are claiming for everything and going down at every feather touch, while at the same time fouling Crouch all over the place. Notable that the only player not singing the National Anthem was Gary Neville.

Ferdinand is defending reasonably well but can't give the ball away fast enough as soon as somebody waves a maracca at him. Robinson looks solid and the defence are coping okay. Joe Cole is causing havoc down the left and credit to Crouch for a decent display. Gerard's shooting is way off and we need him to get some pressure on their goal. Decent efforts from Lampard and Beckham.

More of the same but we need another goal at least. COME ON ENGLAND.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:30 pm

Wretched game for the neutral. Great set-piece delivery from Beckham for the OG but as a whole I was unimpressed by England and really unimpressed by Paraguay. I agree with Tango, typical south of the Rio Grande minnow diving B.S.

Sven needs to shift things around, that team will be beaten by Sweden.

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by cowdrill » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:30 pm

Sven is a bellend of the highest order

my gran has better tactical knowledge than him
Mich Caine wrote: Lets not joke about this. I make Mr T look like Walter from The Beano.

Le Snake
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Le Snake » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:41 pm

Oh, come now. Let's get things into perspective - it's the opening game of the World Cup. Any team who actually plays really well in the opening game will have completely run out of steam by the quarters. It's a month long competition and it's crucial to pace yourself.

Furthermore, in order to progress to the knockouts, all we now have to do is beat Trinidad & Tobago. Then we can give some key players a we rest against them tricky Swedes.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:58 pm

Sorry, but I'm not defending that!! That was poor, very poor. Not the team the bloody manager, who has gone straight into 2002 mode

"Oh we are 1-0 up, right let's take off our main striker put on Downing and put Cole as supporting striker. mmmmmm not working, right errrrrm take Cole off aaaaannd........Owen! How could I ever have forgotten you, my own beloved love child, that will do it for us. Yep that's it, complete chaos, that should fool em!"

And at full time

"Errrrrrrm yes, mmm, oh it's hot, can you feel the heat? It's hot, ohhh sooo hot. Ah yes, we got three points, yes..yes..three points, ohh hot hot hot, did I mention that we got three points? Oh yes hot"

I’m seriously worried now! Ok today was the first game, but against Germany, the Argies, the frogs, Brazil, Holland et al, we would get battered.

Well done Sven, you fxcking idiot!!

On the players, I thought Crouch was excellent today, he seriously reminded me of Davies, hard working and involved in everything that was positive. Lineker, Hanson and Wright were singing Gerrards praises, personally I thought he had a very bad game, and went missing for long periods. Ashley Cole needs to push up to support Joe Cole more, he spent to much time sitting back, and he is a much better advancing left back then he is a defending one. Downing looked lost and was beaten by their right back every time he tried to push forward, Lampard looked the most likely candidate to change things in midfield, and I actually thought Ferdinand did a great job at the back, were as Terry had me worried on a number of occasions. The rest just looked lost, not knowing what their or anyone else’s roles were come the end.

The result was there, the performance wasn't
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Marshall
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Marshall » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:21 pm

I couldn't understand why the pundits were saying Gerrard played well, he didn't do much IMO. But as they correctly pointed out, Cole was the standout player in the team, and I was encouraged by Downings performance when he came on, because he wasn't afraid to run forward with the ball (Stelios take note).

However, not taking Defoe or Bent really looks like it's going to backfire.

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:58 pm

It was just like watching Bolton at their worst. Loads of long balls to Davies, oops sorry Crouch, poor kicking by Jussi, oops again by Robinson, and playing for a clean sheet against a team that we should have beated quite easily.

Very frustrating but as others have said its a marathon not a sprint and teams have to ensure that they do not peak to soon, but god it was a very poor performance.

Mind Sweden aren't doing much better agaisnt Trinidad, 0-0 at half time, and it took them 40mins to get a shot on target even with 57% of the ball and a lot of huffing and puffing.
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:20 pm

FaninOz wrote:It was just like watching Bolton at their worst. Loads of long balls to Davies, oops sorry Crouch, poor kicking by Jussi, oops again by Robinson, and playing for a clean sheet against a team that we should have beated quite easily.

Very frustrating but as others have said its a marathon not a sprint and teams have to ensure that they do not peak to soon, but god it was a very poor performance.

Mind Sweden aren't doing much better agaisnt Trinidad, 0-0 at half time, and it took them 40mins to get a shot on target even with 57% of the ball and a lot of huffing and puffing.
It was nothing to do with the players! It would have been a convincing 2-0 win under any competent England manager (Keegan aside before you lot start) do you honestly believe Sven will change his spots further into the competition? Remember France and Brazil? This is nothing new from this manager.
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:48 pm

Who gives a shit how we played?

If we play like that in every match, winning one-nil, you won't hear any complaints from me.

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:07 pm

Perfect result as far as I am concerned.

3 points - you don't get extra for playing well.

Dampen down all the media hype about us being second favourites.

Sweden v Trinidad did us a favour.

Argentina v ivory coast showed how lucky we are with the draw.

Move on beat Trinidad.
Get Crouch booked in the 90th minute. Then enforced rest for him v sweden.

MC Numpty
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by MC Numpty » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:26 am

I don't care who disagrees with me but Crouch is garbage. He doesn't know how to head the ball and he has the ball control of Michael Ricketts. Owen is struggling and we are going to have to rely on the midfielders to get the goals until Rooney or Owen are proper fit. Poor squad selection from Sven regarding the strikers. IMHO
"More football later, but first let's see the goals from the Scottish Cup final" Ray Stubbs 2004.

Soul City

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:20 pm

rubbish performance. Created nothing other than a couple of chances for lampard 20 yards out - that's the biggest worry.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:58 pm

Nothing to panic about as yet. Every tournament (1-1 with Sweden, 0-0 with Switzerland, 1-0 loss to rubbish Portugal team) starts like this, we will get better.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:43 pm

MC Numpty wrote:I don't care who disagrees with me but Crouch is garbage.
Shall I be the first then. I had him as MOTM for playing ninety minutes in searing heat and never stopping trying. He contested every ball, got badly treated by a ref who didn't seem to want to see the number of fouls against him and showed no small degree of skill with the ball. Well done to him for a good effort.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:23 pm

I'm with you on this one, Tango. I thought Crouch was outstanding on the deck. I also thought that Ferdinand had a blinder at the back. I never thought that I would ever type those two sentences together!

There you go.

8)
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Cadburys Fingers
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Cadburys Fingers » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:56 am

Zulus! Thousands of 'em! wrote:I'm with you on this one, Tango. I thought Crouch was outstanding on the deck. I also thought that Ferdinand had a blinder at the back. I never thought that I would ever type those two sentences together!

There you go.

8)
Specsavers in Bolton are going to be busy today by the looks of things. Ferdinand had a blinder, I presume that is tongue in cheek. If you look at the BBC website you can give marks out of 10 for the whole team, hundreds of thousands have already done so, and Ferdinands score is right near the bottom of the list, thats because he did absolutely nothing...............and he did that poorly. IMO Cole was about the best from a tepid performance, with Becham and Lampard not far behind. The Crouch position wont be an issue in he next game, as he will be warming the bench. How he is a better bet than Defoe (or even KD) I will never know, his performance reminded me of Rickets debut, when the ball just bounced off him, rather than being controlled.
Who the hell is this ringing at half past ten.......