Who do you think will win it?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Who do you think will win it?

Post by CrazyHorse » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:15 pm

You've got to fancy Brazil's chances obviously. But history says that a European team wins when the tournament is in Europe. France? England? Spain? Even Italy?

Me, I fancy England to go a long way and we can win it with a certain amount of luck but deep down I know it's a long shot. Heart says England, head says Germany. I think that the hosts stand a really good chance of winning and it seems to me that everyone seems to forget how good a team they can be. As much as anything else I reckon they've got one of the best 'keepers in the world in Jens Lehmann.

Anyone agree?
Businesswoman of the year.

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:20 pm

Take Brazil out of the picture and I'd say it's wide open. Pick any one from England, Italy, Germany, and the Argies.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:33 pm

They won't win it but I reckon that the surprise nation at this year's tournament will be the Swiss.
May the bridges I burn light your way

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:17 pm

Id look no further than the Serbs to go far but the most likely winners in europe would be the Gerryatrics or our very good selves.. The amount of fans we have travelling will mean every game (except for perhaps germany) will be like a home game

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:39 pm

I think this year could be the best World Cup in ages! Spain are due a good run in the tournament, and Argentina have got an embarrasment of riches in their squad!

Brazil have got a great side (as ever) and France? Their back 4 are all champions (Sagnol from Bayern, Thuram from Juve, Gallas from Chelsea and Abidal from Lyon.... of course it's not all good, we can't forget the hilarious Boumsong from Newcastle).

England should do alright... I'm not sure if we're World Champion material, but you never know do you? I think it's pretty wide open this year, and that Brazil aren't light years ahead of everyone regardless of what the press say. Sure they're a talented side, but so was the 1982 squad, and Paulo Rossi beat them on his own!
I write words for a living. I play records for a living. Both of these thing should tell you that I'm a failed musician.

picaro
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by picaro » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:56 pm

Brazil...always a favorite, if the Bermuda Triangle stays away (that area in front of their goal where defenders seem to disappear)

Argentina have a strong squad but their forwards have been lacking form in recent games....thank god for their defense, stronger ones in the tournament by far.

I still think Germany will play better than previous games have shown and Italy...Luca Toni is going to be a star this WC.

perennial underachievers, Holland - Spain - Mexico, will continue their form despite having fantastic squads

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:01 pm

Unless Brazil slips or gets a dominant game from someone (France 98 ) it's already over.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:53 pm

picaro wrote:Brazil...always a favorite, if the Bermuda Triangle stays away (that area in front of their goal where defenders seem to disappear)

Argentina have a strong squad but their forwards have been lacking form in recent games....thank god for their defense, stronger ones in the tournament by far.

I still think Germany will play better than previous games have shown and Italy...Luca Toni is going to be a star this WC.

perennial underachievers, Holland - Spain - Mexico, will continue their form despite having fantastic squads
To be honest I think our defence is the best in the world cup by a country mile, if we're going on back 4 man for man then we eclipse argentina.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:27 pm

Italy - great at the back, Brazil - great in attack. Apart from the Argies I believe we have the most balanced side in the competition, we have a great defence (if Terry can get into club form especially) a fantastic midfield, and should Crouch continue his current form and Owen get another goal under his belt early a great strike force.

Not to mention the amount of 'match winners' we have in the team: Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, Owen, Rooney (when/if fit) Terry, Cole. All of them have the ability to pull off a stroke of genius at the highest level. So It's England for me!! The best team since 1966 (with the crappest manager!!)
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

picaro
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by picaro » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:56 pm

boltonboris wrote:
picaro wrote:Brazil...always a favorite, if the Bermuda Triangle stays away (that area in front of their goal where defenders seem to disappear)

To be honest I think our defence is the best in the world cup by a country mile, if we're going on back 4 man for man then we eclipse argentina.
England is indeed great at the back, i just believe Argentina Defenders can distribute the ball more efficiently on the counter than England...just my opinion

chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by chris » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:32 pm

I think it'll be Brazil beating Italy in the final. I fancy Ukraine to do well if Schevenko's fit in time.

picaro
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by picaro » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:39 pm

oh yeah...MEXICO of course :crazy:

Batman

Post by Batman » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:43 pm

Head says Brazil, heart says Brazil.