Who provides the better world cup UK TV coverage?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who does the World Cup better?

The BBC
82%
ITV
18%

Total votes: 45

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Who provides the better world cup UK TV coverage?

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:39 pm

OK, it's only two games in but whose coverage is best?

Personally I prefer Gary Lineker to Gaby whatsaface but then again the BBC has bloody Lawro while ITV had Big Sam on for the Poland/Ecuador game.

Clincher for me is that ITV moved Emmerdale for their game. Nuff said.
Businesswoman of the year.

chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by chris » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:42 pm

I hate adverts.
Therefore BBC

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:45 pm

But if you're on digital you can turn Lawro off and put Alan Green (or CHIEF football correspondent Mike Ingham) in instead. :shock:

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:18 pm

I preferred the ITV coverage although the opening sequence from both parties was poor, they should make 'jerusalem' compulsary for any international tournament.

Shame to see the England - Germany fans havin a set-to in the square at frankfurt though, some of those scallies should really learn how to handle their ale

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:02 am

How dull is Gareth Southgate????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:26 am

boltonboris wrote:I preferred the ITV coverage although the opening sequence from both parties was poor, they should make 'jerusalem' compulsary for any international tournament.

Shame to see the England - Germany fans havin a set-to in the square at frankfurt though, some of those scallies should really learn how to handle their ale
it was hardly a set-to, a bit of shouting, 20 arrests 9german & English), all of whom have been released with fines. A few scuffles shouldn't be allowed to taint what was by all accounts a very peaceful night.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Post by 50sQuiff » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:04 am

I would definitely call 20 arrests a 'set-to'. That's quite an extensive set-to, too. How many arrests do we need for an incident to become a brawl, and then a riot? :)
Gertie wrote:How dull is Gareth Southgate????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
improbably so! Speak into the mic Gareth, there's a good lad. Absolutely dreadful.

Sam is a very articulate pundit though and given some good subject matter he will be an asset. Impressive tan too.

Gabby is also looking increasingly slutty with every passing week, which is also a feather in ITV's cap. But the Beeb just about clinches it as the best of a pretty shoddy bunch.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:11 am

out of of around 2,000, 1% arrested for minor offences isn't much, especially as they were from several small incidents rather than a mass brawl. The fact the majority of police went home early should be taken as a better indication of the overall atmosphere.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:14 am

On the brawl front... I think it's only as bad as your average friday which has been sunny, and lots of lads have been drinking. How many arrests took place in Cardiff last night? Or Manchester? Nothing to write home about... anyway, coverage.

BBC wins hands down. ITV is dismal. I've never been able to trust Logan after she guested on Frank Skinner's show once. He said something along the lines of "Obviously, you being a girl, there are people out there who'll think you don't know anything about football... can you name an Arsenal back four?" Gabi's first answer? "Nigel Winterbottom".
Viva La Portable Radio!

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:27 am

mofgimmers wrote:BBC wins hands down. ITV is dismal. I've never been able to trust Logan after she guested on Frank Skinner's show once. He said something along the lines of "Obviously, you being a girl, there are people out there who'll think you don't know anything about football... can you name an Arsenal back four?" Gabi's first answer? "Nigel Winterbottom".
Gabby, bless her, isn't terribly competent. I remember her comments prior to Englands qualifier with Greece for World Cup 2002, when Beckham had a niggling injury.

'And the whole of England is sweating over David Beckham's groin.'

Must have been a bit clammy.

Frankie Wanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Frankie Wanderer » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:30 am

For looks alone - Gabby - should be on the Beeb - perfect package if you ask me :D
Frankie says " on the day that your mentality catches up with your biology, come round. "

Super_Kevin_Davies
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Super_Kevin_Davies » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:31 am

communistworkethic wrote:out of of around 2,000, 1% arrested for minor offences isn't much, especially as they were from several small incidents rather than a mass brawl. The fact the majority of police went home early should be taken as a better indication of the overall atmosphere.
English smashing pint glasses over the heads of Germans according to Brucie who witnessed some of the trouble last night....could have been worse I'm sure :? !!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:32 am

I never mentioned anyting about a fight or a brawl, as I see it a set-to is slightly more serious than a stand off, there were bottles thrown and a couple of people ended up in hospital with minor knocks, so in my eyes yeah, thats definatelty a set-to

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Post by 50sQuiff » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:09 pm

ITV score another point by virtue of a BBC clanger at the back.

Gervais is the most unfunny man in Britain and there's no place for him in any respectable World Cup build up show!

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:25 pm

50sQuiff wrote:ITV score another point by virtue of a BBC clanger at the back.

Gervais is the most unfunny man in Britain and there's no place for him in any respectable World Cup build up show!
The Beeb redeem themselves by interviewing a somewhat pissed Freddie Flintoff.

Le Snake
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Le Snake » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:33 pm

Living outside the country, I haven't had the chance to see any of Sam's 'performances' yet. He's not embarrassing us, is he? Jay-Jay made any appearances yet?

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:51 am

what is it with the beeb though that they all try being funny. Linekar's puns make me cry in despair and lawro is a complete cock anyway

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Post by 50sQuiff » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:55 am

Le Snake wrote:Living outside the country, I haven't had the chance to see any of Sam's 'performances' yet. He's not embarrassing us, is he? Jay-Jay made any appearances yet?
Sam and Jay Jay have acquitted themselves well. I like Jay Jay's laconic style, and Sam is articulate and enthusiastic.

Lineker is becoming unsufferably smug. Hansen and O'Neill are carrying the Beeb at the moment.

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:22 am

50sQuiff wrote:Hansen and O'Neill are carrying the Beeb at the moment.
O'Niel was fkn genius yesterday for the Holland game, showing footage of him singing a Notts Forrest song years ago.

chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by chris » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:14 am

Le Snake wrote:Living outside the country, I haven't had the chance to see any of Sam's 'performances' yet. He's not embarrassing us, is he? Jay-Jay made any appearances yet?
I noticed on Poland-Ecuador that Stuart Pearce, sitting next to Sam commented on how Ecuador's first came from a set piece (throw). Sam seemed to try to ignore that.