What are you playing tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: What are you playing tonight?

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:45 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:37 pm
Been trying to play/listen to more new music to keep up with the kids. A lot of misses but the Weeknd's latest album Dawn FM is a banger.
Louder Than War have released their 'Top 100 Albums of 2022'.

Of it, I've heard of 11 of the artists and heard none of the albums. :oops:

I have seen Fontaines DC play live though - something I can heartily recommend.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:03 pm

I guess this thread covers podcasts too.

I've only recently got in to listening to them, so any recommendations, gratefully received.

Anyway, today on the drive back up from darn sarf, I've been listening to 'Acid Dream'.

The blurb - Acid Dream: The Great LSD Plot
Radio Wales
In the 1970s it’s estimated that about 60% of the world’s LSD came from one place: Wales. This is the story of an attempt to start a revolution of the mind, from a Welsh farmhouse.

(spoiler alert).

Incredible. Basically, a couple of hippies, one a qualified Dr, the other studying for her finals in medicine at Liverpool, really did think that if everyone took LSD then the world would be a better place.
Course, then money got involved, and big business, and greed, and the whole shebang.
If you think that Breaking Bad was far-fetched (or even if you don't) I'd recommend listening to this.
OK, it doesn't involve the questionable glamour of South American cartels, but it does involve the bad batch which found it's way to Woodstock, Police going undercover and having to get into it all, the formation of what we now know to be the Drugs Squad, and what was, at the time, the biggest ever nationwide drugs bust.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:30 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:03 pm
I guess this thread covers podcasts too.

I've only recently got in to listening to them, so any recommendations, gratefully received.

Anyway, today on the drive back up from darn sarf, I've been listening to 'Acid Dream'.

The blurb - Acid Dream: The Great LSD Plot
Radio Wales
In the 1970s it’s estimated that about 60% of the world’s LSD came from one place: Wales. This is the story of an attempt to start a revolution of the mind, from a Welsh farmhouse.

(spoiler alert).

Incredible. Basically, a couple of hippies, one a qualified Dr, the other studying for her finals in medicine at Liverpool, really did think that if everyone took LSD then the world would be a better place.
Course, then money got involved, and big business, and greed, and the whole shebang.
If you think that Breaking Bad was far-fetched (or even if you don't) I'd recommend listening to this.
OK, it doesn't involve the questionable glamour of South American cartels, but it does involve the bad batch which found it's way to Woodstock, Police going undercover and having to get into it all, the formation of what we now know to be the Drugs Squad, and what was, at the time, the biggest ever nationwide drugs bust.
You may like 'There's No Such Thing As A Fish' Bruce. A weekly podcast (currently over 450 episodes) where 4 of the people who write questions for QI (tv programme) bring a weird fact to the table to discuss. For instance, there's no such thing as a fish. Co-hosted by fellow Boltonian James Harken (although for some reason the silly two-hat's a Tranmere fan. Very funny and weirdly interesting

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:19 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:30 am

You may like 'There's No Such Thing As A Fish' Bruce. A weekly podcast (currently over 450 episodes) where 4 of the people who write questions for QI (tv programme) bring a weird fact to the table to discuss. For instance, there's no such thing as a fish. Co-hosted by fellow Boltonian James Harken (although for some reason the silly two-hat's a Tranmere fan. Very funny and weirdly interesting
Cheers, mate. I'll make a note.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:27 am

I really should take more time to listen to Podcasts, when I've made the effort it's often been well worth it. Saves popping Xmas songs on in the car for every long journey.

My recco if you've not heard it, is The Chernobyl Podcast. Listen to it after watching the HBO mini series. Incredible and bloody frightening.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:46 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:27 am
I really should take more time to listen to Podcasts, when I've made the effort it's often been well worth it. Saves popping Xmas songs on in the car for every long journey.

My recco if you've not heard it, is The Chernobyl Podcast. Listen to it after watching the HBO mini series. Incredible and bloody frightening.
The one with Paul Ritter and Emily Watson in? Seen it if so, and yes, frightening. To digress slightly, I had to visit Chernobyl's sister plant, the Ignalina Nuclear Power Plant in Lithuania a few years ago. Basically, Lithuania was told to close it down as part of their acceptance into the EU. Whenever I have a bad dream, this place generally makes an appearance. Like Pripyat, the town of Visaginas was built to house the workers - chiefly a ghost town at the time of my visit. Haunting, desolate and seriously depressing.

Anyway, many thanks for the heads-up on the podcast :) I'll search it out.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:59 pm

Bands who've only recently caught your attention, by whom you're immediately impressed, go to look them up, hoping for tour dates, only to find that they've been, gone, and threw the towel in years ago :oops:

If any of you aren't familiar with 'Marks to Prove It' by The Maccabbees by the way, might I suggest that you see your way to rectifying that?! :oops:

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:53 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:59 pm
Bands who've only recently caught your attention, by whom you're immediately impressed, go to look them up, hoping for tour dates, only to find that they've been, gone, and threw the towel in years ago :oops:

If any of you aren't familiar with 'Marks to Prove It' by The Maccabbees by the way, might I suggest that you see your way to rectifying that?! :oops:
Better late than never but I think the lead singer Orlando Weeks now does solo stuff.

One of my biggest regrets was not seeing the Maccabees when they were around. Such an underrated band of that era.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:26 pm

I don't hear very well these days, but favourite music is ever in my head. My tastes are wide, varied and not really mainstream, Of modern renditions,and maybe surprisingly since I'm not a heavy metal fan generally, the Chicago heavy metal group Disturbed" s version of Simon and Garfunkel's classic "Sound of Silence" impressed the most. I just played it again on Youtube. Class.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:30 pm

Never too late to crack open the patchouli, TD. :-)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:40 am

Is there a greater opus than Crosby, Stills, Nash (our very own) and Wooden Ships?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:12 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:40 am
Is there a greater opus than Crosby, Stills, Nash (our very own) and Wooden Ships?
If my hearing was any good, I'd prefer Maddy Prior's Carnival band doing "I saw three ships." Seasonal, but ever great. :)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?