What are you playing tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:10 am

Chariot - Gavin de Graw
Wake Me Up When September Ends - Green Day
Good Time - Leroy

Hmmm, a bit random that selection... I blame iTunes

Luna
Promising
Promising

Post by Luna » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:14 pm

Making Movies and Brothers in Arms (albums) by Dire Straits.

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by cowdrill » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:32 pm

echo and t'bunnymen - rescue
Mich Caine wrote: Lets not joke about this. I make Mr T look like Walter from The Beano.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:34 pm

Frankie Laine: "Hitmaker"
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:03 pm

IMPOSSIBLE DREAM AND THE REST OF STRAW DONKEY

CARTER
Sto ut Serviam

picaro
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by picaro » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:03 pm

the SMiths: Meat is Murder

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:57 pm

Lloyd Cole - Don't Get Weird On Me Babe.

May the bridges I burn light your way

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:52 pm

Johnny Cash - American IV

Feeling a bit mawkish now. Might put a bit of bhangra on.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:04 pm

Lloyd Cole - Music in a Foreign Language!

hey, at least the neighbours can't say that I'm causing a

commotion :roll:

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:06 pm

Black Books Series 1
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by cowdrill » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:33 pm

US Bombs - The World
Mich Caine wrote: Lets not joke about this. I make Mr T look like Walter from The Beano.

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:34 am

Just been listening to/buying Burial, Manyfingers, Sir Richard Bishop, Nouvelle Vague, Cortney Tidwell and others off that Boomkat website I keep droning on about (and no, I don't have shares in it). I hope that was obscure enough for everyone.

Beats listening to Johnny Cash, anyway.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:12 am

Pearl Jam live at the Garden (show 1) Which I was there for. Gotta love Pearl Jam making all it's concerts available the next day for download. It's the most fan-friendly thing a band has ever done.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:20 pm

Roger Waters - Amused to Death

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon! 8)

How the other three had the temerity to carry on trading as Pink Floyd without Waters is absolutely beyond me! :shock:

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by cowdrill » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:36 pm

tennesse - manic street preachers

superloop
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by superloop » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:28 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Roger Waters - Amused to Death

How the other three had the temerity to carry on trading as Pink Floyd without Waters is absolutely beyond me! :shock:
Now careful there matey.

The best of Floyd was a colaboration between Waters Glimour and often the rest as well. Waters on his own is well a bit too much singing at a hundred miles an hour with eyes closed.
The Pink Floyd albums released after Waters left we're much MUCh MMUUCCCHH better that Waters solo stuff (IMHO) and they absofookinlutely rocked on tour whereas Roger's live Wall etc etc were frankly carp

superloop
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by superloop » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:31 pm

Oh and much that same could be said for them all carrying on after Syd lost the plot!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:04 pm

superloop wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Roger Waters - Amused to Death

Now careful there matey.

The best of Floyd was a colaboration between Waters Glimour and often the rest as well. Waters on his own is well a bit too much singing at a hundred miles an hour with eyes closed.
The Pink Floyd albums released after Waters left we're much MUCh MMUUCCCHH better that Waters solo stuff (IMHO) and they absofookinlutely rocked on tour whereas Roger's live Wall etc etc were frankly carp
We'll be agreeing to disagree then, matey. You rate The Division Bell over Amused to Death? Hey ho! Each to their own my friend. For me it basically boils down to the Simon and Garfunkell situation, one creates whereas the other delivers, each can't bear to see the the other carry out the part that they can't. Oh, by the way, as far as I'm concerned, the "Best of Pink Floyd' is Dark Side of the Moon. However, I'd never fall out with anyone that disagreed in that, well, it's all first class (IMO)

superloop
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by superloop » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:25 pm

I'd say amused to death was the better of the solo stuff that roger has put out, Pro's and Radio were pretty much along the same vein as the Final Cut which may as well have been a solo album. Listenable but altogether not the best.

Regarding Dark Side i totally agree well some days i do and other i think Animals is best, then The Wall then Wish you were here, defining the best Pink Floyd is extremely difficult.

Going back to what set me off, i have no problem with Rogers solo stuff or Daves or Syd's for that matter, however to say that Momentary Lapse of reason in particular but also the Division Bell shouldn't have been put out as Pink Floyd albums when two thirds of the Main (post Syd) line-up created them is just plain wrong in my eyes.

I too however wouldn't want to fall out about any of it.

One last thing tho, the Simon and Garfunkel thing is a bad analogy IMO. In that pairing one had 90% of the song writing talent the other was a great singer. In the case of Roger and Dave which i believe you are alluding to, one had all the musical talent and some lyrical talent and the other had loads of lyrical talent and little musical talent (Rogers bass leaves a lot to be desired).

Basically i feel that the best of Pink Floyd is always the collaboration of the two, can you imagine Comfortably Numb without the guitar solo or the heartfelt lyrics?
Also would Brain Damage and Eclipse sound right without both of their voices making the harmony?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:53 am

superloop wrote:One last thing tho, the Simon and Garfunkel thing is a bad analogy IMO. In that pairing one had 90% of the song writing talent the other was a great singer............ can you imagine Comfortably Numb without the guitar solo or the heartfelt lyrics?
It's an excellent analogy IMO. One has the ability to write/create it, the other has the ability to deliver it. For Comfortably Numb see Bridge Over Troubled Waters. For me, Roger Waters had 90% of the song writing talent, Dave Gilmour's delivery of it was/is brilliant, but Gilmour couldn't have written it and Waters couldn't have delivered it. Personally, I've never really been able to get into quite a lot of the Syd Barrett era stuff, just a personal thing though I suppose.