What are you playing tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: What are you playing tonight?

Post by Prufrock » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:54 pm

Been listening to Dave Hause's solo acoustic stuff today. He has the best voice I've ever heard live, it was a hairs on the back of the neck job. Blew me away.

Anyway, on my travels I found this: him playing one of his songs with a bluegrass country twist. Everything sounds better with a teeny ukulele!

In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:28 pm

Prufrock wrote:Been listening to Dave Hause's solo acoustic stuff today. He has the best voice I've ever heard live, it was a hairs on the back of the neck job. Blew me away.

Anyway, on my travels I found this: him playing one of his songs with a bluegrass country twist. Everything sounds better with a teeny ukulele!

He is good. saw him with Brian Fallon on Chuck Ragan's Revival Tour a while back. That was a good gig, hope they do it all again. He was in manchester a couple of weeks ago but I missed him.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:44 pm

My review of the same tour!
Prufrock wrote:Chuck Ragan presents the Revival Tour on Saturday. If you get chance, go. Go. Really, go. Up there as possibly the best gig I've ever seen. Three of my musical heroes, in Chuck Ragan, Dan Andriano and Brian Fallon was enough to persuade me. They were all excellent, though probably upstaged by the awesome Dave Hause of whom I'd never heard, but will now be finding lots of stuff from his band, 'The Loved Ones'. The best bit about it though wasn't who they were, but the way it was done. I expected them to play individual sets, with maybe the odd duet, but instead it was three hours of non stop music with people wandering on and off. It kind of followed a Dave Hause, Chuck, Dan, Brian pattern, but a few other people wandered on, they sometimes played with 2,3 or 4 of them. At one point Brain Fallon literally scooped a girl he knew out of the front row to sing American Slang with him. They played all sorts of things, their own songs, covers of the others', covers of other musicians and a couple of American folky songs. Personal highlight was Brian singing Great Expectations, and throwing in a verse of the Alkaline Trio song 'Warbrain' which features a tribute to Hot Water Music :D.

The music was ace. Brian Fallon can actually sing (though not as well as Dave Hause) but even more than that, the atmosphere of the night was just brilliant. So, so good.

Where did you see them?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:06 pm

Manchester Academy, just over a year ago. My mate suggested it, he plays in a band playing that kind of stuff and is a big fan of Hot Water Music, The Loved Ones, Against Me and the like. Knew a bit about them but not much, really enjoyed it. The same guy just went to watch Frank Turner supported by Lucero in Germany in September, but I couldn't as it was term-time. Wel jel, as the kids would say.

Passionate
Passionate

Post by 2399 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:02 am

Feel like getting out some T-Rex for our daytime drives!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:17 am

2399 wrote:Feel like getting out some T-Rex for our daytime drives!
The Slider. Has to be The Slider. Dare I say - get it on! ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:39 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
The Essential T Rex - one of the best Best Ofs going: just look at the track listing: not a single classic is missing.
1. 20th century boy
2. Get it on
3. Telegram Sam
4. Ride a white swan
5. Jeepster
6. Hot love
7. Childrean of the revolution
8. Metal guru
9. I love to boogie
10. Debora (original full length version)
11. Groover
12. Truck on (Tyke)
13. Teenage dream
14. New York City
15. King of the rumbling spires
16. By the light of the magical moon
17. Summertime blues
18. Cosmic dancer
19. Light of love
20. Dreamy lady
21. London boys
22. Laser love
23. One inch rock
24. Solid gold easy action
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:07 am

The first single I ever bought, of my own choice and with my own money, was "Ride a White Swan".

It was the first record released on the Fly Records label after it was hived off from Regal Zonaphone. With a White label (they varied them. Hot Love was gold, Get It On was black) with a superb Roger Dean line drawing of a fly on it. Still to this day a good piece of music.

Last edited by bobo the clown on Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:16 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
The Essential T Rex - one of the best Best Ofs going: just look at the track listing: not a single classic is missing...........
Now that, my man, is one hellllllllllllllll of a best of.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:54 pm

bobo the clown wrote:The first single I ever bought, of my own choice and with my own money, was "Ride a White Swan".

It was the first record released on the Fly Records label after it was hived off from Regal Zonaphone. With a White label (they varied them. Hot Love was gold, Get It On was black) with a superb Roger Dean line drawing of a fly on it. Still to this day a good piece of music.

Life's a gas on B side Bobo? Or am I mixing it up with Metal Guru?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:05 pm

Il Pirate wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:The first single I ever bought, of my own choice and with my own money, was "Ride a White Swan".

It was the first record released on the Fly Records label after it was hived off from Regal Zonaphone. With a White label (they varied them. 'Hot Love' was gold, 'Get It On' was black. 'Get It On' incidentally was not initially referred to as 'Bang a Gong') with a superb Roger Dean line drawing of a fly on it. Still to this day a good piece of music.

No, two tracks on the B-side ... 'Is It Love' and 'Summertime Blues'.

'Life's a Gas' was B-side to 'Jeepster', though they also, simultaneously, released 'Jeepster' with a different B-side called 'Rip-Off'. I wonder what that was all about ?

Metal Guru had 'Lady' and 'Thunderwing'.

Anyone bored yet ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:15 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Il Pirate wrote:

It was the first record released on the Fly Records label after it was hived off from Regal Zonaphone. With a White label (they varied them. 'Hot Love' was gold, 'Get It On' was black. 'Get It On' incidentally was not initially referred to as 'Bang a Gong') with a superb Roger Dean line drawing of a fly on it. Still to this day a good piece of music.

No, two tracks on the B-side ... 'Is It Love' and 'Summertime Blues'.

'Life's a Gas' was B-side to 'Jeepster', though they also, simultaneously, released 'Jeepster' with a different B-side called 'Rip-Off'. I wonder what that was all about ?

Metal Guru had 'Lady' and 'Thunderwing'.

Anyone bored yet ?
:grin: No

TY

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:47 pm

... well then, early T.Rex records were produced by Tony Visconti who was married to Mary "aren't I simply the sweetest thing you've ever seen" Hopkins.

Mary "aren't I simply the sweetest thing you've ever seen" Hopkins incidentally was able to consume quantities of cocaine which would put Fleetwood Mac to shame ... more even than her close name-sake Katherine "aren't I simply the sweetest thing you've ever seen" Jenkins.

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:42 am

bobo the clown wrote:... well then, early T.Rex records were produced by Tony Visconti who was married to Mary "aren't I simply the sweetest thing you've ever seen" Hopkins.

Mary "aren't I simply the sweetest thing you've ever seen" Hopkins incidentally was able to consume quantities of cocaine which would put Fleetwood Mac to shame ... more even than her close name-sake Katherine "aren't I simply the sweetest thing you've ever seen" Jenkins.

Can this be verified Bobo, or have I missed some important 'celeb gossip' ?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:15 am

Il Pirate wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:... well then, early T.Rex records were produced by Tony Visconti who was married to Mary "aren't I simply the sweetest thing you've ever seen" Hopkins.

Dig in, it's all freely findable ... if not exactly in the terms I used and not exactly advertised.

This is Katherine "aren't I simply the sweetest thing you've ever seen" Jenkins limited admission ;
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebri ... nabis.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a "bllx 'it was only a few times' " ;
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... drugs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stories around are that the Mail's version is actually tame compared with the real story.

I can't immediately find much re Mary "aren't I simply the sweetest thing you've ever seen" Hopkins. Media has changed over the years, but it was pretty well reputed at the time and these days it simply says things like "there was a very active drug scene" and things like that. I recall it being mentioned in Visconti's divorce case.

http://www.maryhopkin.com/times.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:46 am

bobo the clown wrote:
Il Pirate wrote:

Dig in, it's all freely findable ... if not exactly in the terms I used and not exactly advertised.

This is Katherine "aren't I simply the sweetest thing you've ever seen" Jenkins limited admission ;
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebri ... nabis.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... drugs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stories around are that the Mail's version is actually tame compared with the real story.

I can't immediately find much re Mary "aren't I simply the sweetest thing you've ever seen" Hopkins. Media has changed over the years, but it was pretty well reputed at the time and these days it simply says things like "there was a very active drug scene" and things like that. I recall it being mentioned in Visconti's divorce case.

http://www.maryhopkin.com/times.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There was a big NME article about Mary Hopkins and her habits. I remember reading it because Charles Shaar Murray interviewing Mary 'middle of the road' Hopkins seemed like the most bizarre conjunction ever, until the content of the article made it obvious was why he was doing the interviewing.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:54 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
Il Pirate wrote:

There was a big NME article about Mary Hopkins and her habits. I remember reading it because Charles Shaar Murray interviewing Mary 'middle of the road' Hopkins seemed like the most bizarre conjunction ever, until the content of the article made it obvious was why he was doing the interviewing.

There's a blast from the past. Still doing the 'rent a quote' circuit tho', on many music documentaries.

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:31 pm

ANyone listened to Pearl Mystic by Hookworms? It's getting some album of the year nods so decided to start listening to some stuff now. Listening to Away/Towards from the album at the min...it's pretty damn grand. :D think a fair few hear might like it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw5av46j21U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:34 pm

I hate misogyny, but on bad days only ' Back in black' will do for the drive home.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:14 pm

http://www.goodnet.org/articles/bob-dyl ... deo-genius" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Great idea for a video and pretty well executed across all channels. :-)