What are you playing tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

superloop
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by superloop » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:07 am

Dude - Gilmour co wrote Comfortably numb that was my point

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:31 pm

Dude????? And my point is that as far as I'm concerned Pink Floyd don't exist without the creativity of Roger Waters. You might like the stuff that they did without him, I think that it amounts to little more than cock-rock. Oh, and I'd be very wary when it comes to their songwriting credits too. That said, of course Gilmour will be given credit as co-writer of certain songs where his work is a key element of the song, but it'll have been built on a creative foundation laid by Waters. Dude, indeed! :roll:
May the bridges I burn light your way

superloop
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by superloop » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:44 pm

Err no your point was that Dave Gilmour was the guy who sounded good and Roger was the artist behind it all using Simon and Garfunkel as your example, i'm pointing out that that is simply not true. You are doing Dave Gilmour a major disservice describing him as the same as Garfunkel i.e. simply someone who plays / sing the music written by others. The example that proves your inaccuracy can be found by quoting your words regarding Comfortably Numb.

"That said, of course Gilmour will be given credit as co-writer of certain songs where his work is a key element of the song"

Nuff Said - Dude!!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:31 pm

Is that the way you're reading what I said? Oh well. I'll make it really easy for you, however I won't resort to using condescending titles. Gilmour's guitaring is a major contribution but it is simply an addition to the foundations laid by Waters. Of course he's going to get credit for adding something to a song, but what I'm saying is that he needed Waters more than Waters needed Gilmour when it came to songwritng. In my opinion (did you get that?) the stuff that didn't involve Waters is little more than "Look at us, we're ace at this" type stuff. Some like it, I don't, well not that much anyhow. On Amused to Death, Waters replaces Gilmour, Mason and Wright quite easily with session musicians and mates. Did they replace Waters on the stuff they made without him? As a Bass player, yes. As regards songwriting abilty, creation, direction and purpose? I don't think so, ahem... Sir!

superloop
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by superloop » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:31 am

Wow arn't you touchy, condecending titles indeed, Dude was used to convey exasperation it was not meant to be condecending (however for condescension see the post above this one). Roger Waters lovers are always the same he was everything yadda yadda yadda.

Lyrics are not the be all and end all of a song. A song is nothing without music. Roger wrote most of the lyrics (MOST) and a lot of the music, However the vast majority of the music was written either by or with Dave Gilmour and the rest of the band. Well until the easiest route was to just allow Roger to do what he wanted cos they were sick of his "i'm the leader attitude".

Is that the way you're reading what i said indeed.

"For me it basically boils down to the Simon and Garfunkell situation, one creates whereas the other delivers"

How exactly am i supposed to read what you say? I have only taken issue with this point really, the original comments we're meant light heartedly but to say that Dave and Roger is like Simon and Garfunkel is rubbish. Garfunkel played a bit and sung and Simon created the songs Music and Lyrics. MY point is that your analogy is flawed as Dave and the rest of Pink Floyd did much MUCH more than just play the music.

On amused to death Roger replaced the playing of the music not the input musically and this is why Rogers solo stuff is not as good as the original Pink Flyod stuff. Which is exactly the same argument you put forward re the Pink Floyd stuff after Roger was not in the band. LOL if the stuff Pink Floyd put out was just the "Cock rock" part of Pink Floyd, Rogers is certainly the whining winging part.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:04 am

Superloop, we're not getting anywhere here. You understand/believe Gilmour's contribution to the creative process to be greater than I understand/believe it to be, up to 1985 of course. As I don't see us meeting in the middle any time soon it might be an idea that we just agree to disagree.

Right, I think I'm going to listen to something else now. The radio perhaps.

superloop
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by superloop » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:29 am

Which station KAOS ;)

Mate (this is meant nicely i'm not trying to have a personal dig at you), i just don't agree with the Simon and Garfunkel analogy, Dave and the rest of the band did much more than just deliver the music.

I totally agree that Roger was the main lyricist (spelling??). I also think that Pink Floyds best stuff was when they all collaborated more and didn't just leave it to Roger.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:09 pm

Well having thought about it, maybe I was trying to over-emphasise with the S&G analogy and used an nth degree as regards the writing department.

That said, I still think S&G turned out their best stuff together, likewise Waters and Gilmour, so it's not entirely flawed.

We all happy bunnys now? :wink:

superloop
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by superloop » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:24 pm

As the proverbial pig ;) (Gettit?)

Not wanting to start another mamoth one but what do you think of Ca Ira?

I'm reserving judgement until i've managed to find the time to listen to the whole thing.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:39 pm

Likewise, I'm waiting for a job to come up in Aberdeen or somesuch so that I can listen to it all on the journey.

My initial reaction to what I have heard from it being - Very well done, but perhaps not my bag.

superloop
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by superloop » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:11 pm

Hmm ditto - so far

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by cowdrill » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:43 pm

anything but feckin razorlight
Mich Caine wrote: Lets not joke about this. I make Mr T look like Walter from The Beano.

Lennon
Promising
Promising

Post by Lennon » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:13 pm

On Sunday I bought Pro Evo 5 to make up for the fact that I had a crap weekend due to being ill, so I'll be playing that tonight.

superloop
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by superloop » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:19 pm

Best PES moment ever, Campo volleying into top right hand corner against Real Madrid just after my teammate and Scum fan shouted oh shit not fookin campo :D

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:48 pm

The new Nouvelle Vague album.

A weeny bit different to the last one on first listening, not sure if they all work. It doesn't quite hit the high spots of In an Manner of Speaking, but it's still darned good. I thought the best tracks were Fade To Grey, Ever Fallen In Love, Dance With Me (Lords of the New Church :conf: ), Dancing With Myself (Billy Idol :shock: ) and Bela Lugosi Is Dead (which got panned in the review I read). I reserve the right to change my mind tomorrow, though.

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:53 pm

Little Green Man wrote:The new Nouvelle Vague album.

A weeny bit different to the last one on first listening, not sure if they all work. It doesn't quite hit the high spots of In an Manner of Speaking, but it's still darned good. I thought the best tracks were Fade To Grey, Ever Fallen In Love, Dance With Me (Lords of the New Church :conf: ), Dancing With Myself (Billy Idol :shock: ) and Bela Lugosi Is Dead (which got panned in the review I read). I reserve the right to change my mind tomorrow, though.
Fade to grey is fabbby I like this, but not as much as the first but still excellent.

I'm listening to a bit of Madonna at the mo.... :oops: :oops:

picaro
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by picaro » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:55 pm

Regina Spektor - Begin to Hope

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:58 pm

Gertie wrote:
Little Green Man wrote:The new Nouvelle Vague album.

Fade to grey is fabbby I like this, but not as much as the first but still excellent.

I'm listening to a bit of Madonna at the mo.... :oops: :oops:
You could slightly redeem yourself by qualifying that it is the William Orbit-Chewingum inspired Ray of Light that you are listening to, otherwise there's no hope.

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:00 pm

Ummmm... I can't I'm afraid.... Confessions on a Dancefloor... I'm even wearing the pink leotard... But not got the muscley arms to carry it off... :(

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:05 pm

Gertie wrote:Ummmm... I can't I'm afraid.... Confessions on a Dancefloor... I'm even wearing the pink leotard... But not got the muscley arms to carry it off... :(
I think that's one confession that should have been left on the dancefloor. Not trying on your gay wedding outfit, are you?